motor nicknames

Guest ricko1

Guest rickomo1

ok my question is does a chart or a previous post call out the names and differences or why the nickname. i know alot but not all.

examples

flat head

v8 90 degrees

L flathead flathead 60 degree

poly

hemi

nailhead

and the list goes on and on.

Flathead, "L" head, valve in block are the same. All of your cars, except the Camaro have them. The valves are in the block, therefore, the heads are flat.

90 and 60 degrees is the angle between the cylinders on a "V" type engine

Poly is a Mopar term for the Hemi based polyspherical engine. The combustion chamber is a "semi hemi". Sorta hemi, sorta not.

Hemi is a hemisphere. The combustion chamber is half of a sphere

Nailhead is a Buick. The early V-8s had vertical, rather small valves that some likened to a nail

Big block, small block, Cleveland, Windsor, Rat, Mouse....You're right, the list goes on

My 1915 Buick has a Hemi. The 4 cylinders are hemispherical and the plugs fire over the center of the piston.

And the kicker is...W.P.Chrysler was president of Buick at the time it was built. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdsbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my personal favorites, although it is a M/C engine and not a car..."Knucklehead". </div></div>

Well they did put them in Midget Race cars, sure wish I'd kept the one I had.

Here are a couple:

1. "Whiskey Six" The rum runners in southern Alberta and British Columbia maintained a fleet of the big Mclaughlin Buicks to transport their wares. These cars were uncatchable by most cars of the day, hence the nickname.

2. "Blizzard Six" The Northway engine that was installed also in Mclaughlins. So named because of the howl that the timing gear driven generator created when the engine was running. I can verify this noise sounds just like a blizzard wind. Also called the "Sensible Six" if installed in an Oakland.

"Boxer" is actually a much misused word describing internal combustion engines. Note "Engines" as verses "motor" which refers to electric power. Technically a boxer engine is one in which the pistons move towards one another as a boxer's fists would do. The above example is actually a "flat" or horizontally opposed engine. Attached is a technically correct "boxer". It is a TS-3 used in Commer trucks in the fifties, sixties and early seventies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tinindian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Boxer" is actually a much misused word describing internal combustion engines. Note "Engines" as verses "motor" which refers to electric power. Technically a boxer engine is one in which the pistons move towards one another as a boxer's fists would do. The above example is actually a "flat" or horizontally opposed engine... </div></div>

I notice Subaru throws around "boxer" in their ads a lot also. So Porsche 911 and Corvair I would assume are also "boxers" (makes sense with Porsche playing a bit of a word game with their "Boxter" model automobile).

And then Bill H. mentioned "pancake," which rings another VW bell, refernce the Type 3 and 4 boxer engines that had horizontal rather than vertical cooling air flow schemes (to allow more usable space inside the cars).