"I hate my classic car."

1935Packard

Guest abh3usn

The story's actually annoying. The guys is one of those people who expect a 40 year old car to perform just like a modern one. What an idiot. God forbid you have to any maintenance other than put gas in the tank.

For what it's worth, I thought the article was mostly interesting because it reminds us that classic cars aren't for everyone: You need to realize that they're not just modern cars that look cool, and you have to enjoy or at least be ready for the complications.

I posted this in OCA forums a few days ago...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't subscribe to the myth that an old car can be reliable only if it has a later GM drivetrain stuffed into it. People drove those cars hundreds of thousands of miles with their original engines and transmissions.

The myth propagates only because some people are too damn lazy to learn how their original stuff works or to learn how to service it. If you want the convenience and equipment of a new car, then go buy a new car. I always thought living with older technology was part of the allure of owning an old car. You want new technology in it, why are you even DRIVING one???</div></div>

I think some of us missed the writers first clue.

"We adopted a 1963 Studebaker Avanti as our only car, driven once or twice a week from our downtown San Francisco home."

Could it be that this city slicker who only drives anything once or twice a week is not really a car guy? Does that indicate a distain for driving anything?

Still I though it was a fun article and can see his point.

We often take our 1934 Ford behind our RV as our main transportation for the summer following a distan tour.

Yes, there are problem with everyday use (like getting backed into at Wal-Mart) but the adventure makes up for the inconvenience. I enjoyed the article and accept that we're not all alike. (some folks even like Chevrolets)

Hello Paul, actually I did notice that and that was my first clue about this being a bad car/owner situation. To the writer's credit, he did give us enough information to determine the folly of the situation, red flag #1) former Honda owner using Avanti as only car #2) in San Francisco and #3) if your carb and choke are that big of a problem then see Glenn's comments above. Another point though, I am unfamiliar with Slate.com but he listed himself as their automotive writer? Oh well, it would have been more entertaining to me if it were not coming from a possibly misguided source.

Guest Dave Wyatt

I've always said that some people should be restricted to new cars. In spite of the fact that many folks have an older car, some of those have no business owning them. You really need to be a car person to get along with one and enjoy it.

Guest windjamer

Woa Paul. Whats unde the hood of that buick resto rod? Maby a 350 Chev. Some folks like Chevrolet?? You bet we do, and Buicks and Olds and GMC too. EVERYONE knows when better cars are built Buick will build them. I see you also have a Ford in there, dont you worry, we aint agona hold that agin ya. As for the guy with the Stude, Ill give him $50.00 for it and put him out of his misserey

Some folks have this ideological romance with having an old car without realizing they aren't for the faint of heart. I ahve been fortuante to have only been stranded a couple of times in an old car and all of those were near home, but I realize each time I head out that it is a possibility. Obviously this guy wanted the romance without the work.

BOB

The guy is an idiot pure and simple:

"It doesn't have computer-controlled anything."

And how much do those non-computer junkers cost to fix?-Nothing! Or barely nothing! Compared to their computer controlled successors. And as for his carbuerator problem, a good rebuild would fix his problems, at the cost of 100 or so dollars. As for seatbelts, etc. Look, put that car of a bigger one against the plastic of today, and you may be surprised at the results.

"

"The car goes through a lot of oil and is prone to overheating in hot weather, where "hot" means above room temperature. Manufacturing processes have gotten so much better since the days of chrome bumpers that cars just don't break anywhere near as often as they used to."

What a basic statement. Perhaps because he or former owners did not take care of it, it is a lemon? My friend drives Studes older than this across country with trailers in 100+ temps. up hills and they are orig. and dont have a problem. My cars dont have overheating problems and they are much older than the 60's. He said that it has a coolant leak and overheats, why doesnt he replace the heater core? it would fix the problem. And if he hates it so much, he can give it to me!

The guy obviously is just a product of the times and is not mechanicly knowledgeable. He simply bought the wrong tool for the job at hand. It's as if he bought a hammer to drive screws and then bitched because it did a lousy job...........Bob

The guy sounds like an idiot. I had a 1979 Lincoln that I used as a daily driver from 1991 to 2004. The reason it stopped being used as a daily driver was because I didn't want it rusted away to nothing after it became an antique. It was carbureted yet managed to start at 20 below when all of the fuel injected cars wouldn't. It seemed stupid to be driving the newer car when the Lincoln had better heat, defrosters, and traction in the snow. It also was in for repairs far less than all of my coworkers cars, yet they kept telling me to get rid of it and buy something new. No computers meant it could be fixed instead of they don't have a replacemnet for that outdated computer part. I could cruise all day long in it's comfy seats as opposed to new cars which don't even have springs in the seats. And I would prefer to be in it instead of a Honda with crumple zones in an accident. Obviously the guy expected to just own it without ever having to do anything to it other than buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some folks have this ideological romance with having an old car without realizing they aren't for the faint of heart. Obviously this guy wanted the romance without the work. </div></div>

That is pretty much my take on it, too. I find this situation quite common, actually. If you grew up driving carbureted, pre-computer, pre-safety era cars, you learn to appreciate all the modern conveniences, but also have the necessary background to handle a vintage car even if it's much older than the ones you drove back then. But jumping into a vintage machine when your only automotive experience was with crumple-zoned, fuel injected Hondas, can be a real rude awakening. At that point you either adapt, learn and become an enthusiast, or miss the point and start whining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">T He simply bought the wrong tool for the job at hand. It's as if he bought a hammer to drive screws and then bitched because it did a lousy job...........Bob </div></div>

I use a hammer all the time to drive screws, its quick, its easy and the homeowners I work for are never going to have to take them out. Screws just look better then big 10 penny nails. (said completely sarcastically).

I myself think this article is funny on a couple of different levels. One is if I lived in SF, I would avoid any type of car at all. Parking is hard to find and all those damn hills. Plus the pedestrians have the right of way.. whats up with that anyway ? Austin is worse about that then Houston, but in Houston, where I lived for a majority of my life, It was every man for himself and cars ruled. I go to visit family in SF I always get nasty looks and an occasional finger as I try not to hit people who step out in front of me.

Plus, as you all have pointed out, he is not a real car person. Kinda like giving a bass player an electric guitar. They may have a clue on what to do with it and may be even to play it, but they will never sound like Chet Atkins or Eric Clapton and probably dont want to.

Thanks for sharing this article, it was funny.