1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

It's not really a wonder why these doors rust like they do in the corners. That is where all of the dirt and garbage collects over the years, and it holds water like a sponge. The doors that were on the Limited all had plastic filler covering up some pretty hefty rust-through on nearly every corner. I would've been patching metal for 2 weeks if I had used them. I'm sure there will be a few more holes to patch after the "good" doors are blasted, but I will know they are solid afterward.

I have a feeling I'll be stalled again after this burst of energy, but at least there is some forward progress. My girl comes home after a month in Poland this weekend :)

I have a feeling I'll be stalled again after this burst of energy, but at least there is some forward progress. My girl comes home after a month in Poland this weekend :)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

You call that stalled? You're gonna be busy! Matt

I'm throwing in the towel on this trunk lid. It's just too crusty...and the outer sheet metal is not cooperating with me. It wants to bind up and warp....sooooo I should have another trunk lid on Tuesday :) ...hopefully along with a small list of other parts for the car.

So since I bailed on the old trunk lid...the 58 Buick Ranch came through for me with another one. He dropped it off to me on Tuesday on his way through town. Also swapped him some taillight bezels and a trunk bar which were in better shape than mine.

This trunk lid still has some rot on the inside lip, but it is about a quarter of what was on the other one. I can fix this in a day.

new_lid001.jpg

new_lid002.jpg

After I bailed on the old lid last weekend, I took the beltline moldings from the doors and polished them. I finished installing the new window sweeps last night. They look perfect!

window_sweeps.jpg

Rust is repaired on the trunk lid.

Tacked

repair001.jpg

Weld complete...

repair002.jpg

Ground flat...

repair003.jpg

I dragged the front fenders out of the basement this morning and dismantled them for stripping. This always gives me a reason to vacuum the floor, since I leave a trail of dirt and rust from the basement through the house to the garage door.

These are rusted in the usual spots just under the headlights. Shouldn't be too bad to repair. There is one spot on the driver's side fender that needs a small patch along the door line.

rust.jpg

I disassembled the headlight assemblies, too. This job really sucks.

headlights001.jpg

Does anyone know if this is a factory splice? It is on both sides. They were both wrapped in cloth tape and looked very old. Seems to be a hokey splice if it really is a factory job.

headlights002.jpg

headlights003.jpg

Of course, the day wouldn't be complete without sweeping and shoveling up 10 lbs worth of crap.

crud.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back on track...

Fender patches are complete. I am going to try to get these in primer and smoothed out, possibly paint the jambs and install before the Heartland Regional in September...oy...lots of work. Good thing I took off work the week of the regional.

This little spot rusted through, just in the outside of the brace behind the fender skin...appears to be a good spot to catch water and garbage.

patches001.jpg

Both fenders we completely rusted through below the headlights, and were a bit of a pain to repair.

patches002.jpg

My garage has been a bit crowded with all of the body panels stuffed in there lately. The trunk lid and hood are sitting behind the car, and the other two doors are on the other side of the car.

patches003.jpg

patches004.jpg

patches005.jpg

Guest 4 bufords

glad to see your'e back at work on the 58,looking good adam.the pic of the top looks very nice,4 bufords from ct

Adam: I have to cut out around my trunk lock hole area about a 3-1/2 by 3-1/2 piece and then cut out the donor trunk lock hole with the same size replacement piece and weld it back into place as someone sheared the old one out non artistically. So I ask, what is the best size wire to use on this thickness of sheet metal. Perhaps the size you are using. If so, what size wire are you using and what are the settings on your welder and speed of wire? Any other suggestions before I take this on?

oh... what is "plastic stripping"? Are you referring to taking your pieces to someone who uses plastic media to blast your doors and fenders?

Thanks in advance.

I have found that if you are using a WIRE FEED welder, the answer to your question is, PRACTICE on some pieces using the same metal gauge. Even if you have the exact same welder, I doubt setting yours up the same will really be the answer.

There is nothing to be fear with a welder, IMO it boils down to practice, practice, and more practice. I have had periods where I haven't welded in 6 months or more, and a few minutes on a practice piece will dial you in.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

Welding sheet metal like this, I use .025 wire, seems to like a pretty fast wire speed and medium high heat.

Plastic stripping...yes, plastic media blasting. Looks like little ground up pieces of Legos and other assorted bits. Doesn't take rust off, but does a nice job with paint. It is more expensive, of course. Well worth it for the doors, though. Stripping them by hand would've been a nightmare.

Yeah I know what your saying. I took a welding class in high school 1971. Practice is what you need to do. I have not welded on these old fenders which are thicker than newer thin fender stuff. The big thing back then was buzz box stick welders, creating a puddle and selecting the right rod and amps. As you say Adam, I would imagine a small wire size would be ideal with medium heat.

Doors are epoxy primed and another two coats of high build primer...ready for filling and blocking. Yay:rolleyes:

primed.jpg

It's been raining here all morning for the first time in months. I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse sitting in the driveway waiting for me to pull the bumpers and paint them...it's tough to do that in a downpour, though. Hope it stops soon, because it has to be done today.

• 4 weeks later...

Still block sanding the doors! It's nearly impossible to get these things straight unless you start with completely rust free doors. There is so much warpage along the door edges that they'll never be perfect. Oh well.

It's been a long few weeks here, lately. The car really hasn't been a priority. I'll be spending a lot more time in Cincinnati in the next 2 years, it appears. I'm also going ring shopping. :o

My primary goal before the regional meet is to get the brakes bled and the steering column installed. I just want to be able to drive it into its spot on the show field in a couple weeks. Shouldn't be too hard, but I was really hoping I would have the doors done and the car jambed out in paint...possibly have the doors hung. Pipe dream at this point, now.

I'll be spending a lot more time in Cincinnati in the next 2 years, it appears. I'm also going ring shopping. :o

May I be the first to congratulate you and Atena! You two are the perfect match, if I do say so myself. You know, I'm only about a hour and one half up the road...

Thanks, Brad...the feeling is amazing when you know you've found "the one." We aren't officially engaged yet, but it's as good as done.

I won't be moving anywhere until she knows she is going to be there for a while. That is going to be a major step for me...will be very difficult to uproot.

Oh, I knew it back at BPG. I told Jodie, yep, their going to get married, mark my words. I think she's a catch, if you don't mind me saying so. A real sweetie! We'll have to get together when you make "the move". And you you need any help, just ask!

Oh, as long as she said "yes", you're engaged!

I'm kind of secretly hoping she hates it there and comes back home:rolleyes: But we're going to see how she acclimates to the environment there and if she really finds out that this is what she wants to do. That's when the decision will be made whether to move there or have her come back here.

The exhaust is still flopping around under the car, so it is clanging in the video...it's also only half installed. That's why it's as loud as it is. Once the pipes are full length, it will be much quieter.

It will probably not make South Bend. I will see what I can do, though :)

It will be at the Heartland regional this coming weekend though!

at work so can't view a YouTube vid but wanted to say congrats on the goin ring shopping news. Didn't find the joy of my life 'til I was 30 and while the searchin was fun, I finally got lucky and couldn't have made a better final choice.

Can't wait to see the naked fitty ate Friday.

Did Buick make a No door hardtop in 58? I'd better check my reference data sheets here..... again!

However with that said, I think I'd keep it just like that and go no further. Then enter it in the preservation class for judging. Paint it if you must. Reminds me of the Illustrated Man.

Feels kinda good to ride and stride doesn't it Smartin?