1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

The most impressive thing is that I see NO COMPROMISE. The photos are high resolution and everything either looks factory fresh or over-restoration. Perfect. Eye candy.

Yes, thanks guys.

One of our members (that I can confirm) had some very significant damage, but is managing...no one was hurt. Last night's storms were some of the worst I've ever seen. If the tornado had stayed on the ground the whole time, it might've been a different story. I was only a couple miles from its path. Tonight, I have already had more hail. We're supposed to get something like 8" of rain in the next 5 days.

Guest wildcat465

Good to hear that you and many other friends in St. Louis area are OK. You gonna be up for some ice cream stand burn outs this August?

Guest John Chapman
Possibly, but I sold the Centurion 2 weeks ago, so I will need to find a new burnout maker.

Adam, nice work you've done... I could probably scare up another Centurion out here... I happen to know where a red '72? convertible is wasting away in a driveway... Probably needs a new top...

Cheers,

JMC/San Diego

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had much time to work on the car lately...those 60+ hour weeks are not conducive to progress here. Over the last couple days, I've done a few things...

I pulled out the chrome dash control cluster to see if it would clean up without having a rechrome. I believe I succeeded. This piece looks good enough without $$$ in rechroming. I had to disassemble those parts with the plastic inserts so I could clean up and polish the plastic. There was a lot of dust and old chrome polish in the cracks of these dealies. Same story with the A/C control.

dash_controls001.jpg

dash_controls002.jpg

dash_controls003.jpg

dash_controls004.jpg

I've had the gas tank sitting in the back of my Yukon for 2 weeks in an attempt to get it to the blaster, and finally got it there on Saturday. I picked it back up this afternoon and cleaned it out, and mounted it. Turned out nice. Pictures don't do it justice.

gas_tank001.jpg

gas_tank002.jpg

I would think either would have them. The hinge and the pedal are all molded together. There is a steel plate that is overmolded with rubber. There is no hinge per se. Just a rubber "living" hinge between the two metal substrates. At least on my 57 that's what it is.

post-65800-143138544065_thumb.gif

Edited by 1957buickjim
added picture (see edit history)

Hi Adam,

I don't know how I missed this thread all along!!

I just spent the last 2 hours going through it and it has truly been inspiring to me as I am doing the same thing.

I have a 1964 Buick Electra convertible that I am doing a a body off resto on and I gotta tellyou that sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it or if I'll ever get the dam thing back together!

it's nice to see confirmation that "it can be done"

Here's a couple of pic's of mine....

2121870000012311043dhTFEl_th.jpg

2775876210012311043Elnsjc_th.jpg

2930187040012311043FlgkSO_th.jpg

I am now at the body off stage and have replaced all the springs, shocks complete steering inccluding steering box. Now to run all the brake lines and restore all the brakes.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I fired it up tonight. As soon as I fixed the fuel leak at the glass filter, it started right up and idled without a hitch. I only let it run for 10 seconds....just wanted to make sure it would actually run before I started throwing parts back on. I have a video, but it was on the 3rd or 4th startup, and it needs the timing adjusted...plus, I didn't want to run it long without coolant. I'll see if I can upload the video tonight.

I was startled when it fired up so fast...had to hit the kill switch! Fuel was still seeping out of the filter seal.

No crossed plug wires or other gremlins:D

Guest Rob McDonald

Come on, tell that truth. It sounds like you just drove it home from Walmart. I could tell from the little, "ha ha" that you were plenty excited and probably grinning like a happy idiot.

Nice!!! It's a great feeling knowing you actually managed to get it back together and make it run, well at least for me that was what I was thinking when I got my '38 running for the first time in 15 years after taking it all the way apart and back together.

Adam..nice!!!!!!! Especially like the laugh in the video, like you were thinking that this thing will never work, but hey, it started and ran like it should! The car is looking better and better. Nothing beats the feeling of putting the parts back on one by one after you have meticulously restored each one..Very cool. Keep the pictures coming.

I finally cleaned up all the AC lines and mufflers and that big ugly valve on top of the compressor today.

The radiator is being recored in the next week or so, and I found that the heater core I got out of the parts car Super I bought is basically new...so that was nice to know.

I installed the parking brake pedal assembly...although it seems that I can't get the pedal to come back up all the way by itself when I release it. I played with the brake adjustments and the spring at the rear end, but eventually gave up on it to look at it another day. I don't need it right now, anyway:rolleyes:

ac_hoses_installed001.jpg

ac_hoses_installed002.jpg

ac_hoses_installed003.jpg

Guest Rayne

I just joined the forrums here and found this thread. It took me a while to make it through, but you've realy given me hope for a brighter future. Your project is breathtaking. It helps me a ton, knowing that what I'm about to undertake is not only possible, but there are people here that have walked the path before me. Looking forward to further progress on this beautiful car. Realy well done, and something to be proud of!

Guest cardinal905

Have not checked in for a while, glad to hear you are still making progress Adam--everytime I do have a couple minutes to look here, for some reason I cant wait to get home and work on my junk !

• 2 weeks later...

I got the radiator and heater core back this evening...

He replaced the 2 row core with a 3 row, without my permission. Thank God! He also said that they had to rebuild some of the parts from scratch...which doesn't surprise me. That radiator was literally falling apart - tanks, support brackets, and core.

I fitted the heater core back into the box and sealed it up. But I still have to get that side of the cowl cleaned up and painted before I install it.

Guest Rob McDonald

MARTIN, you will never regret that the rad shop chose to upgrade your radiator. Sure, some hot summer day, it might cost you a point at a car show. But hey, you'll have driven to the event with the cold air blowing, the windows rolled up tight, and the temperature gauge sitting happily in the N zone.

Have you figured out a way to restore the missing bits of spongey, smooth-skinned rubber insulation on the evaporator box? Yours looks to be in about the same condition as mine - clean but a bit patchy. Although I'm not going for show quality, these front-and-centre flaws do detract from the overall appearance under the hood. Any suggestions out there?

Hi Adam, great looking car you got. I own a couple of 1956-57 Special 4 doors hard top. Not as great as yours but nice anyway. Is there any walue in the Specials you think, though they are not to compare to the one you got.

Regards

Michael, Sweden