1899 Brewster on eBay - blatant fabrication?

Bob Stein

I was curious if anyone else had looked at the 1899 J.B. Brewster Buggy currently listed on eBay for $10,000. This 'Amazing Restoration' features some extrememly 'amazing' technology for 1899 - modern distributor and coil, belt-drive generator, Carter carberator, standard transmission, etc. Looks to me like someone created thier own 1899 vehicle for fun - now it is being passed off as the real thing!

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="font-weight: bold">AMAZING crazy.gif</span></span>

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Other-Makes-1899-J-B-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe we could have a competition to name the manufacturer of the individual parts assembled ... crazy.gif

1) I've got a old tool box in the garage just like that ... but I never dreamed it was nearly that old, maybe just a quick repaint in the authentic colours ? eek.gif

Some people have no shame, "it's a 1899 Brewster to me"

Well so is a Shay Model A Replicar registered as a 1929

Ford, and any other fake that the seller just has to claim ignorance. But that's not a new story either! I've seen stuff at Hershey the was obviously fake and the seller say's

"it's antique to me".

LET The BUYER BEWARE and be smarter than the seller.

I once bought some "Dusenberg Bud Vases" from a fuzzy picture on Ebay that turned out to be cheap stemware with the bases cut off and inserted in chome towel rack ends.

When I protested the "good Christian" seller said, "That's what I was told they are, you should have looked closer at the picture".

Not all that glitters is crystal or Silver.

Yeah, Walt Disney had some replicas. I remember rideing in a Fire Truck in 1974 that looked like it was right out of the 1920's. This was at Walt Disney World in Florida and Space Mountian was under construction. If I remember right, the driver said it had a Jeep engine and running gear under it.

Dave!

As a seller this individual has only made 10 transactions. One was highly disatisfied. This makes his actual seller feedback rate only 90%. 90% is far below a percentage most seasoned Ebay buyers would even buy a $10 item from.

The disatisfied party is another Ebay dealer. Look at HIS feedback 1062 sales and a 99.5% positive feedback.

The guy I bought my Packard from has been selling on Ebay since 1999 with 723 positive feedback at 99.7!!!!

See the difference? Stay far away from this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not even as good as the Disney cars were! Advertising this obvious hardware store recreation of a "something" certainly does nothing to help the credibility of the "restoration shop" that did the work. It's ready to get awards all right - maybe there is a show someplace that offers a trophy for the "best basement buggy."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those Ford Model A wheels? </div></div>

Like 28-29, 21 inch. 30 and 31 had 19 inch. I think, you could also get factory 21 inch wires for a model "T" in 26 and 27 as an option if I remember right.

Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Cullen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the same place that had the famous ultra rare "Opera T" a couple of months ago? </div></div>

That sure puts everything in perspective ... crazy.gif

Did anyone finally buy that 'rare Opera T' ... shocked.gif

It doesn't look like anyone bid on this one ... for now ... smirk.gif

Brewster actually did make buggies and carriages starting in the early 19th century. So he could have started with an 1899 Brewster buggy.

But that thing is definitely not a Brewster car.

They bodied many chassis of other makes, and even made their own cars but that was much later.

It's a hodge podge that may have started with an 1899 Brewster carriage but it is not a Brewster car.