Mechanical aptitude test

Barry Wolk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's the test? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right where it says "Test" in the first post. </div></div>

I guess he failed! wink.gifgrin.gif

Me, the parts guy, scored 82% the first time (84% the 2nd time because I was too dumb to see the answers I got wrong so I had to retake it). My buddy, the mechanic, scored 88%. The other parts guy scored a 56%. I guess we know why he doesn't fix cars...

Paul

Guest rlbleeker

Got a 94% the first time, rushed through it. The fan one occured to me after I hit submit and switched my answer on the intake question (sorta ambiguous isn't it?) and got a 98% the second time. Missed the drive type question.

I took the test again and got a 96. I had completely forgotten that the first pulley only changes direction of the load but adds nothing to the mechanical advantage. That messed up a bunch of my answers.

Once I looked at the fans as a torque converter the question made perfect sense.

I also didn't agree with the combustion chamber question. I always learned that the cylinder forms a suction allowing atmospheric pressure to rapidly fill the cylinder on the intake stroke.

same here olds442, I only got 98% 490 points, whish i knew what i mess up on though..maybe it was the wrench, didnt have and answers for the greastest torque i wanted, Flame wrench...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also didn't agree with the combustion chamber question. I always learned that the cylinder forms a suction allowing atmospheric pressure to rapidly fill the cylinder on the intake stroke. </div></div>

You just said it yourself: "...allowing <span style="font-weight: bold">atmospheric pressure</span> to rapidly fill the cylinder..." The 14.7 PSI atmosphere is the only available force in that problem. Moving the piston increases the volume in the cylinder but it's the weight of the column of air above the engine (ie, the atmospheric pressure) that's forcing the air into the cylinder.

Albert, After you take the test, you can click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and it will take you through the test again and show you what you missed. Go take the test again, and when you get to the end, you can check your answers then....B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also didn't agree with the combustion chamber question. I always learned that the cylinder forms a suction allowing atmospheric pressure to rapidly fill the cylinder on the intake stroke. </div></div>

You just said it yourself: "...allowing <span style="font-weight: bold">atmospheric pressure</span> to rapidly fill the cylinder..." The 14.7 PSI atmosphere is the only available force in that problem. Moving the piston increases the volume in the cylinder but it's the weight of the column of air above the engine (ie, the atmospheric pressure) that's forcing the air into the cylinder. </div></div>

OK, now that I think about it you would never want a vacuum because that would work against combustion in other cylinders. The intake valve must open at the very beginning of the stroke, never allowing a vacuum to build.