Where to buy parts online?

Rusty_OToole

3 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Joe,

you sound a bit angry.............. lol!

Nope.  I just have a low threshold of BS. I don't understand how one can condemn a vendor for selling low quality parts when the comparison is a rebuilt vs brand new. You imply that RA only sells low-quality rebuilt parts, and that your local chain of choice only sells "great" parts that are new.  That's misinformation and pegs the old meter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The original question was, if Rockauto has no customer service department and the customer has to take the loss if there is a mistake, would it be more prudent to buy somewhere else? And if so, where?

As others have pointed out, I've had no problems with RA correcting mistakes they made.  I'll give you two examples.  In the first, I ordered new e-brake cables. One of the cables was incorrectly boxed and while the box was correct, the part was not.  It appeared that the part had been returned once before. I called them and they immediately sent the correct part and told me to just keep the wrong one. The correct one showed up a few days later. In the second case, I had ordered exhaust system components for my truck. One item was wrong - the person at the warehouse apparently pulled a part that was one digit off from the correct item number. Again, I called RA. They emailed me a return shipping label and told me that they would ship the correct part as soon as the incorrect one was scanned in at FedEx. Again, the correct part arrived a few days later.

I've also had no issues with warranty returns. I had a new AC Delco alternator go bad after about a month - the rear bearing siezed up. They issued a return label as soon as I called.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The original question was, if Rockauto has no customer service department and the customer has to take the loss if there is a mistake, would it be more prudent to buy somewhere else? And if so, where?

Sounds like a misleading question to me.  Rock Auto apparently has customer service.  Return the part and they'll replace it.  That's their customer service.

Where could I get better customer service than this?   I've dealt with Advance Auto, AutoZone, and NAPA all local auto parts stores.   I've never had them offer to give me a second part without at least returning the original part first.    I've dealt with ebay and Amazon online, as well as a few other online parts stores.   I don't see where any of them offer to ship out a new part before the original has at least been scanned by the postal carrier as being returned.

What kind of customer service are you expecting from Rock Auto?   They will already replace a part if you return it just like all the other auto parts stores.  What more do you want?

I don't see where they are any different from any other parts vendor.

The man in the video rant you posted was not convincing.   There were many ways he could have handled his situation far better.   Throwing a temper tantrum with Rock Auto and then posting his tantrum on YouTube was not his best option.   IMHO it didn't make him look very bright at all.   And it certainly didn't cause me to think less of Rock Auto.   He would have been far better off keeping his cool and simply calling his customer to explain that he would need to return the defective part and order a new one. 

That's what I would have done.

• Thanks 1

Something to consider for Rusty O'toole:

The man in the tantrum video you posted gave us the following information:

According to him he has spent $10,000 buying parts from Rock Auto and apparently never had a problem up until now.

After $10,000 of dependable auto parts service he finally runs into a small problem.  Now he wants to destroy Rock Auto on YouTube and discourage all his viewers from ever dealing with the company again.

That is simply not impressive.

To the contrary, if I'm only going to have a problem with a Rock Auto order once in every $10,000 I spend I'd say they are pretty darn dependable.

I can certainly live with that.

Face it, life isn't perfect.  In the millions of orders that are being filled there are bound to be some errors in some orders.  That's just realistic.   Trying to destroy a company over one small problem with one order doesn't even make any sense.   And they even offered to replace the item if the bad item is returned.

The only thing that baffles me is that someone would actually make a YouTube video complaining about this.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AntiqueCraftsman said:

The only thing that baffles me is that someone would actually make a YouTube video complaining about this.

What baffles me is why someone would take a rant on You Tube as gospel. ?

I'll add that while I won't waste my time watching that You Tube video, I've heard from more than my share of people who have tried to screw companies with dishonest returns and then complained mightily when they were caught. I used to be married to a person like this. She had a rental house and a water heater leak flooded the basement.  She went to a big box store, bought a dehumidifier, ran it continuously for a week to dry out her basement, then returned it as defective. This person would do similar things such as returning items she had purchased and worn nearly a year ago to a DIFFERENT store with a more lenient post-Christmas return policy.  Needless to say, that marriage didn't last long.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

What baffles me is why someone would take a rant on You Tube as gospel. ?

Well not only that, but having a teeny tiny problem with one order after $10,000 worth of orders sounds pretty good to me.  This is almost an advertisement for Rock Auto's dependability in getting orders right 99.999% of the time.

Yes, you can email them. I would email them before ordering a part, if I had concerns about fitment. Many people are happy with them, but I think for more common vehicles there are less likely to be issues. But for older, or more unusual I would prefer to go to a local parts store.

Question not answered above, nor on the other tabs at the top? Email us at service@rockauto.com.

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376 

http://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=6

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/

16 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You can't call Rockauto's customer service department if they don't have one. Don't believe me? Here is their web site.

https://www.rockauto.com/

Well, I didn't join an antique car forum to argue over bogus complaints about auto parts stores.

But at the same time, since this thread was started I will offer that I think it's a gross misrepresentation to claim that Rock Auto doesn't have a customer service department.  As far as I can see it's right on their website that you linked to.  It's on the button at the top right of their main page, it's marked "Order Status & Returns".   Click on that button and you'll be given the following four options:

Check Order Status

Request a Change

Report a Problem with an Order or Shipment

Get Return Instructions and a Shipping Label, or Enter Return Tracking Number

So the claim that they don't offer customer service is, IMHO, a total falsehood.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinions and views on this.

All I can do is offer mine. ?

I just don't see where there's a problem.   As far as I can see they DO offer customer service.

Well, I am gong to keep right on buying parts from Rock Auto. ?

I do check unfamiliar part numbers on their website with the manufacturer's website/other websites when searching parts for obsolete vehicles. 

I like to support local businesses so they will stay in business, but my last local independently owned non-franchise auto parts store closed so the owner could retire.?

I am starting to like Amazon for auto parts also.  With Prime membership, they can show up pretty fast, even on Sunday!

• Like 1

I'm used to dealing with customer service by telephone - which they don't have. Am also used to dealing with customer service by email at other vendors - which they never answer.

I have bought from Rockauto before with mixed results. Occasionally there is a mistake, which I pay for because it is not worth paying shipping (again) on a cheap item. On a large mistake, costing hundreds of dollars, I would not be so happy. But so far the savings outweigh the losses.

Since everyone else's experiences are so positive I will continue to buy from Rockauto. Thanks for your feedback.

PS I believe in supporting local businesses and used to buy all my parts locally, even though they cost more than twice as much. That ended when a snot nosed kid stuck his nose in the air and sneered "never heard of it" when I asked for a tube of feathering disc adhesive. I told him he could find it in the 3M catalog and he repeated "never heard of it" and refused to look.

I thought if we are going to get into all the things you don't know we are headed for a hole with no bottom. So I left and never went back.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You can't call Rockauto's customer service number if they don't have one. Don't believe me? Here is their web site.

https://www.rockauto.com/

And yet, I have actually spoken to a RA customer rep on the phone... ?

There is a button on their main page for Order Status and Returns.  It's a bit of a PITA to go through their returns menu on the computer, but once you do, a phone number is available as an option.

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I'm used to dealing with customer service by telephone - which they don't have. Am also used to dealing with customer service by email at other vendors - which they never answer.

You've convinced yourself that RA is not worth your time.  Good luck to you.  I've wasted enough time in this thread.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, DAVES89 said:

I have a question about Rock Auto's warehouse system.

I'll go online to buy the part I really need and find out what the freight is and what warehouse the part is coming from [warehouse A]. I will then order other parts I will need down the line always trying to stay with warehouse A [and trying not to raise my freight cost. I will then get to a point on my order where the next part I order will still be warehose A but the part I want will then be switched to warehouse B. I then have to cancel that last part and once again that original part goes back to being shipped from warehouse A. How does that happen and how do I get around it?

I'm also a fairly regular Rock Auto customer and at times it seems like you can't win with the shipping.  At least now they let you know the warehouse differences.  It seems like once I'm done and send the order, I go duh, of course.  It really only matters when different parts can be put in the same box, which really only means small parts.  Many major components are shipped in their carton that sits on the shelf and they will not open it to put in an additional part you order.  The result is another shipping label and each one is costed by itself so different warehouse really doesn't matter.  It's really only the little parts that are shipped in another box or envelop and it you calculate the shipping with each item added, then you'll see which ones are free and which ones require another carton.  One short coming to online purchases is the shelf carton is not always a shipping carton and may not protect the item well enough during handling.  The manufacturers and distributors and still geared for traditional sales where a skid is sent and then broken down at point of sale and the customer carries it out of the store.  Don't even try to expect a discount item to be combined except with other discount items.  They must store them in a special out of the way warehouse.

One experience with Rock Auto and it took 9 days to get some gaskets that were shipped on the same day as order.  According to the tracking they sat in a USPS facility for almost a week.  No way to complain.  

MIght try them again, but prefer the local guys whenever possible.  They have to eat too.

I used to buy from local guys too until they raised me out. I just bought a part online for $46 that the local store quoted at $159. A few years ago I bought aftermarket crown gear and pinion for a Chev truck for $189 that the local Chev dealer quoted me $1400. I wish I could buy locally, it would be so convenient. But I am not paying for them to eat filet mignon while I eat macaroni and cheese.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

One experience with Rock Auto and it took 9 days to get some gaskets that were shipped on the same day as order.  According to the tracking they sat in a USPS facility for almost a week.  No way to complain.  

MIght try them again, but prefer the local guys whenever possible.  They have to eat too.

Hard to blame RA for a USPS problem. You have the option to pick a different shipper (at a different price) when you order.

after reading this through I admit I did not listen to the video I have a sensitive nose.but agree on RA have not had a problem with anything I order.they do answer emails my son had a question they answered right away twice.also no one mentioned logo on his hat.nice to see they got a new customer out of this to say nothing of the good PR.

If you mean me I am not a new customer. I have dealt with Rockauto before and had at least one dodgy experience. Fortunately the amount was small. I was looking for feedback from other customers. It seems to be overall positive. So I ordered $321 worth of parts of which about $75 worth have arrived. So far so good.

I bought a set of '05 Silverado brake lines from Inline Tube last week. Joe Kurtz took the call and waited while I walked to my truck and confirmed the system. They arrived the third day and went on with no  issues Friday. I have been making my own, but the price and convenience was too good not to try. 65 bucks shipped.

I used the avoided fabrication time specifically for waxing and polishing.

Bernie

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

If you mean me I am not a new customer. I have dealt with Rockauto before and had at least one dodgy experience. Fortunately the amount was small. I was looking for feedback from other customers. It seems to be overall positive. So I ordered $321 worth of parts of which about $75 worth have arrived. So far so good.

In case some here do not realize it, some on-line parts companies have multiple warehouses that they ship parts orders from. Some also have orders "dropped shipped" from other warehouses they do not own(ie a wholesaler) or directly from the parts manufacturers themselves. When on-line companies are not the direct shipper they cannot control what happens and things happen. I have used Rockauto in the past. Different parts of my orders came at different times from different locations including non Rockauto locations (ie drop shipped).

I have found that there can be a relationship between parts quality and the manufacturing country of origin for some parts when it comes to parts for my Volkswagens. Sadly some of the OEM parts makers for VW have move manufacturing to countries outside of Germany or other companies make these parts. Depending on the country of manufacture, quality can/does suffer. I just had this happen recently with a part I ordered on-line (not from Rockauto, they did not have the part). Ordered the same part from the same on-line store a while back and it worked fine. This time the part was not manufactured to specs and it did not work so it went back. At least the company paid for the return shipping.

Charlie

You stateside guys , probably don’t have a to frequent need for triumph parts , but feel obliged to offer credit when credit due .

ordered carbs service kits on a Wednesday morning from Rimmer brothers in UK and they arrived at UPS office in Nicosia  Cyprus Friday same week, amazing first class service from Rimmers and UPS 

Edited by Pilgrim65
Speling just joking (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

You stateside guys , probably don’t have a to frequent need for triumph parts , but feel obliged to offer credit when credit due .

ordered carbs service kits on a Wednesday morning from Rimmer brothers in UK and they arrived at UPS office in Nicosia  Cyprus Friday same week, amazing first class service from Rimmers and UPS 

Since I had two when I was much younger(the cars were also) I doubt that I will ever need Triumph parts again.

About 25 years ago I bought a 1962 Vanguard six cylinder sedan, the  'big' sedan made by the Standard Triumph company, that used the engine later seen in the larger Triumph sedans. I had some strange experiences with that car. Someone stole it one day, and then brought back.  I sold it to a guy named WIlmot. I remember that because when he saw the name Wilmot Breeden on the keys he thought he was fated to buy the car. I didn't try to smarten him up, I just took his money.

image.png.84fea226dffcc15aea774355c2c9b89e.png