TerryB

Did You Ever Own.....

My father had an ID-19 with four on the tree. Top was O/D and would sing to you. To change a tire you did not use a jack - you raised the car, slid a jack stand under, and raised the tire.

Also had a 55 RHD MGA. It came with a crank and an erector set top. Friend had a twin cam, only one I ever saw. And then there was another friend with a FIAT Abarth Bialbero 1000. Name was longer than the car.

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Friend of mine had a Morris Minor. Was slow enough that it did not matter if you could not read the speedo. 

I was very excited when a copper booked me for travelling at 52 MPH in my low-light Minor convertible. I had no idea the old girl could go that fast! Of course, it WAS downhill. Great car, absolutely nothing to prove, and plenty of character. Sold it to a gent from the US, who wanted to take it home.

You do realize that those were staged... OTOH Morgan got it right

Terry, Does this count? Here am I back in '64 with my favorite '58 BMW Isetta 300 Motocoupe. I just returned from the train station with mom's Christmas care package via Railway Express. I have owned several of these fun cars over the years and still have one which was acquired some 40 years ago. AH the good ole' days! Right?5a5fc86d6a6b0_64RailwayExpresstrip.thumb.jpg.cd8ebc870cffb1f730e20f7fcecb034a.jpg

• Like 1

I drove a Subaru 360 for many years on and off. I car pooled in it around 1980 with a large (high 200s) person, and myself around 200.... One day we saw a fellow employee standing on the corner waiting for the bus, so I offered a ride. He was probably 6'4". He folded into in the back seat. We got a lot of looks when we unloaded at work!

In college (early 70s) my friend drove a Humber Super Snipe for a while. His dad had several unusual cars he drove, Morris Minor wagon, 62 Imperial, 64 Plymouth wagon,  and the Humber.

• Like 1

I always thought I was the poster child for owners of strange and unusual autos. A 1961 TR-3, a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine, a 1966 TR-4A, A 1962 Sunbeam Alpine(didn't learn the first time),  a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, a 1972(?) Fiat 128,  A beat to bleep Hillman imp for Ice Racing, and a 1969 MGC-GT.  And the frightening part is that many times these were my daily drivers.  And most were at least partly worn out when I got them so it was work on then all weekend to use them the rest of the week.  I miss some of them but not the constant repairs and searching for parts.