Tight Lug Nut

victorialynn2

VL, isn't it amazing that even after the joke has been revealed everyone is still chiming in with lug nut stories.  One important correction tho, I recommend single malt Scotch.

Terry

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

VL, isn't it amazing that even after the joke has been revealed everyone is still chiming in with lug nut stories.  One important correction tho, I recommend single malt Scotch.

Terry

Yep, this is a bunch of really helpful guys. 

I've never been into scotch or whiskey. I did develop a taste for brandy when dad would give me some in tea for a cold. Truth be told, I'm not much for beer either. Mostly if I have a drink, it's wine or something with vodka. I did recently try a really smooth sipping rum from Cuba. It's really good but impossible to get!

6 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Ok guys, I confess that I'm joking here. I knew you'd all try to come to my rescue. Please don't plan an intervention for anger issues! ???

Hopefully this made you laugh and not get too worried about me. I can be a brat sometimes. 

Thanks for always being so helpful!

Just a joke and here I was all set to complement you on your skill with an axe and tell you the story of how my brothers step son and his friends did a whole lot worse to the wheel of his mothers car before making that all important call for help.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I've never been into scotch or whiskey. I did develop a taste for brandy when dad would give me some in tea for a cold. Truth be told, I'm not much for beer either. Mostly if I have a drink, it's wine or something with vodka. I did recently try a really smooth sipping rum from Cuba. It's really good but impossible to get!

Doesn`t Oregon have Herbal Cafes? With your sense of humor maybe you should give one a visit..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

During the most recent AACA National Meet in Puerto Rico, I developed a taste for really good sipping RUM, reminding me of my college years - but better!

While a bit more difficult to find here in the states, try looking for a brand called "DON Q"  --  better than Bacardi, in my opinion - and we're headed back to Puerto Rico in March for the next AACA Meet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Terry, perhaps you didn't understand what I meant by indicating that my response was "academic". I just meant that while the problem of the mangled up wheel, stud and lug nut wasn't a real  one that we needed to help Victoria with, it nevertheless posed something of a puzzler that we may all have different thoughts about. I wouldn't have posted anything, except that I was a little surprised that so many "car guys" felt that the solution still lay in somehow unscrewing what was left of the lug nut.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Terry, perhaps you didn't understand what I meant by indicating that my response was "academic". I just meant that while the problem of the mangled up wheel, stud and lug nut wasn't a real  one that we needed to help Victoria with, it nevertheless posed something of a puzzler that we may all have different thoughts about. I wouldn't have posted anything, except that I was a little surprised that so many "car guys" felt that the solution still lay in somehow unscrewing what was left of the lug nut.

At that point, I would have burned the car down. Lol

Even though the original post was a joke, and I thought I did see the same pic a couple of years back, a lot of good ideas came out of it. I do wonder how the topic switches to alcohol though. Has anyone else here tried rubbing a strong rum on sore joints? It also soothes headaches by rubbing some on your temples.

1 hour ago, ragtop4two said:

Even though the original post was a joke, and I thought I did see the same pic a couple of years back, a lot of good ideas came out of it. I do wonder how the topic switches to alcohol though. Has anyone else here tried rubbing a strong rum on sore joints? It also soothes headaches by rubbing some on your temples.

It really works if you apply it heavy enough so as to run down to your mouth. (;-)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I guess that we all think differently. Mindful that this is all just academic, my first thought would be to use a cut off wheel, seeing as the wheel and stud are already ruined. By cutting into the stud and remains of the lug nut at a right angle there would be a point soon enough where the nut could easily be split by a chisel. My point here being that a person doesn't have to unscrew the nut if he can split the nut. It's really just the same principle as using a "nut breaker", except that you are splitting the nut from the top, rather than the side. Those of you who have split nuts on occasion know that there is usually enough internal stress in the nut that it will sort of "jump" away from the threads of the bolt, or in this case, stud.

It looks like Victoria is pretty good at splitting nuts!

• Haha 1

Marty, I second your vote for Don Q.  Really, I can't wait to see what Victoria does this coming April Fools day!.

Terry

They make a tool for that. You get it out before the power tools, though. You pound it on with a hammer so one can still use their instinctive skills.

41SZ7BAQJHL._AC_UL320_SR314,320_.jpg

If someone uses English wrenches on a metric lug nut, chances are you need a couple of these.