This is not uncommon..

nick8086

I know of a storage lot with a several rows of generic semi trailers and new shipping containers. Inside is a corvette from every year of production. Sadly not all are in great condition (most of the early ones are drivers and a few are complete projects) but most since the late 70s are in as new condition. It's been a family thing that few know of and it is rarely mentioned to anyone except in close family get togethers. I do not know the particulars of ownership nor plans for the future. I do know that a nice blue 2015 was just put into a new shipping container behind the red 2014. It's a family that most know are successful but do not show it their wealth. The millionaire next door types.

They are out there!

Guest Gary Hearn

I don't think storing cars in van trailers or shipping containers would be the best option. Seems like they would cook in the hot summer sun...

This collection is almost certainly the ONLY complete Vette collection of it's kind on Earth. I'm not sure I could even estimate it's value as a whole or in part. They may not be stored in ideal conditions, I'll give you that but they are out of the weather and sun and have been preserved. These folks live an average life even though they don't need to. They give a lot to those in need and expect nothing. Storing them in buildings opens them up for all kinds of dangers from vandalism, rodents, fire etc. NOBODY suspects they are there . That is BRILLIANT. Best place to hide anything is in plain sight.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Regardless of storage debate, I don't believe that would be the only complete Corvette collection out there (that is, one of each year).....there was such a collection sold locally a number of years ago, and with some of the wealth out there and how iconic that model is, there have to be a few complete collections out there....

I've heard of two "complete" Corvette collections here in Florida, one down in the Sarasota Area, and the other in North Central Florida. I've seen documentation of both, but have not personally seen them. I've heard that there is another collection in the Daytona Area, but I've not been able to confirm or deny that rumor.

Cheers,

Grog

Guest Bob Call

Here is a reason not to hoard away your cars in a storage building somewhere. The fire in the link was last night in the town of Barnsdall in Osage County, Oklahoma, about 40 miles north of Tulsa. In the photos there is a 2 story building on the left with 2 large windows on the second floor that is fully engulfed. Next to it on the right a 2 story building with 4 windows on the second floor. This is the old newspaper building. To the right of the newspaper building is a 3 story building that received smoke and water damage. In that building was a collection of Corvettes. The owner, family and friends were able to get the Corvettes out with minimal damage. If the volunteer firefighters had been a few minutes slower the whole collection could have been lost.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/fire-in-downtown-barnsdall-burns-old-newspaper-building/article_82b9b00f-0772-5168-b523-529f2d45a052.html?mode=story

I'm sure the Corvette collectors are assuming that this is a smart investment, but it's been proven time and time again that stashing a new car away and hoping that it appreciates in the future is a money-losing proposition in 99.9% of the cases. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of 1978 Corvette Pace Cars and "Collectors' Editions" on the market, all for around $25,000, which, in inflation-adjusted dollars, is less than they sold for new. Yet they all carry 30 years' worth of insurance, maintenance (or not), and storage costs.

Stuffing them in trailers is cheap enough I suppose, and they probably don't figure to need insurance, but if they're smart millionaires, they'd also be looking at how realistic a proposition it is to turn those cars into money someday. A complete collection of low-mileage 'Vettes is kind of interesting, but I know of at least two such collections that have complete sets of all Corvette years and multiple models, and unless they expect to sell the whole pack of cars to one guy at one time who figures there's some kind of upside for having a complete set, well, they're just going to end up selling used cars that need restorations one at a time to buyers who are savvy about pricing.

On the other hand, the Lambrecht Auction proved that there are plenty of people out there who will pay a substantial premium for a ruined car that's been sitting in a field for decades with 0 miles on the clock. Maybe your millionaire friends are on the supply side of the "barn find" phenomenon?

Step 1: Take a nice car and stuff it in a trailer for a few decades. Let it rot, the rattier, the better.

Step 2: Concoct a story about reclusive millionaires and secret late-night trailer loading, just to tantalize the imaginations of car guys.

Step 3: Profit!

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I'm sure the Corvette collectors are assuming that this is a smart investment, but it's been proven time and time again that stashing a new car away and hoping that it appreciates in the future is a money-losing proposition in 99.9% of the cases. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of 1978 Corvette Pace Cars and "Collectors' Editions" on the market, all for around $25,000, which, in inflation-adjusted dollars, is less than they sold for new. Yet they all carry 30 years' worth of insurance, maintenance (or not), and storage costs.

How true! --------> http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/10/28/rip-van-disco-a-13-mile-barn-find-pace-car-awakens/?refer=news

Craig

I have seen many low mileage cars go through BJ that did not get the desired results! You have to pick the right one, the one that will be rare AND desirable when you go to sell it.

This Corvette family has some long ago connection with Corvettes, I'm not sure exactly what. They love them and that enough for me. I am not a lover of Corvettes myself. Too many of them around to turn my head. I am more of the unique and unloved marque type. I remember when Amphicars were cheap not that long ago. I certainly could not afford to by my own Amphicar now! Now I have a couple cars that replace what I once had and they bring me lots of joy as my Amphicar does.

One thing that I do love are finding survivor cars. Road worthy (or close to it), wearing original clothing and unmolested. A time capsule if you will. I admire and know 1st hand the art of a restoration and appreciate all it takes but for one to be preserved is what makes me happy. When I am privileged enough to see these lost cars, it is like finding buried treasure for me.

I attended our annual local 'World of Wheels' held here last weekend. Sure enough, there actually was one double-digit-for-miles 1978 Corvette Pace Car amongst the displays. They are common enough to the point where no muscle car, or rod & custom car show would be complete without one.

Craig

The photo posted in the first input at the beginning, from Nick, is not a Thunderbird, as I thought he was referencing. It's a 1954 Kaiser.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296514[/ATTACH]

Not sure if anyone saw that, with all the Corvette blah blah blah. :(

Chuck in Kansas

Yep....we saw it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/rare-finds-1969-chevy-camaro-z-28/ar-BBhlhL6

I know of three 1955-57 Thunderbird. Parked in a basement since 1974. He still has them today...

We had 6 cars in our basement also at one time in the 1970's.

nächste Scheune Hof finden .

I read that article.

Something that stands out to me is;

The picture of the 'original' battery is of a side post bolt in terminal.

Did a '69 Camaro have a side post?

Or, top post?

I would have guessed the side post was in '71 or '72 (?)

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to a guy today . That would like to sell his 1978 corvette. Mileage less than 300 on each of them.. Bought new in 1978..

He has one with the 4 speed. one with the other option..

the “rare” 1978 model is the one with the optional L-82 motor coupled with the 4-speed manual transmission. Only 7% of the entire production run was equipped with the manual transmission and 27% were ordered with the L-82 motor.

another basement find..

My guess for price would be around 40k-80K?? I don't know - It not a kaiser...

He wanted me to buy them.. I passed.. no storage or money...

Yes they are in the basement...

I read that article.

Or, top post?

One of our SDC members remembers them well in his post here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55775-Breathtaking-2800-mile-69-Z28&highlight=camaro+battery

Craig

Regardless of storage debate, I don't believe that would be the only complete Corvette collection out there (that is, one of each year).....there was such a collection sold locally a number of years ago, and with some of the wealth out there and how iconic that model is, there have to be a few complete collections out there....

I recently saw a video about a Corvette collection of every year and all originally black. (except a 53 or 54? [white only] )

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/rare-finds-1969-chevy-camaro-z-28/ar-BBhlhL6

I know of three 1955-57 Thunderbird. Parked in a basement since 1974. He still has them today...

We had 6 cars in our basement also at one time in the 1970's.

nächste Scheune Hof finden .

I read that article.

Or, top post?

. QUOTED FROM STUDEBAKER FORUM

Nice car indeed. That certainly is a rare color combination, having the red interior...and the base upholstery at that! Curious.

Wasn't one of the 1969 Camaro assembly plants the first to use side-terminal Delco batteries? Ooops, I mean Delcotrons. 'Seems like I remember some 1969 Camaros as being among the first with side-terminal batteries coming off the transports while working in the summer of '69 at Lawrence Auto Company Chevrolet-Oldsmobile in suburban Indianapolis.

Now, as to the subject car. Is it OK if I state a pet peeve that the car should be advertised as having one previous owner if the person selling it is neither the original retail owner or an authorized representative of the original retail owner, in whose name the title remains until it is reassigned to the second owner?

Now descending from soapbox.....<GGG>

Do you have some of your personal, treasured human body components on e-bay, trying to raise the money to buy this, Bob? Trafficking in human body parts might be shaky, but I suppose if they are your own...<GGG> BP

That's what I love about this forum,

I learn something every day,

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Maybe someone should assemble a Chevette collection.

It would be cheaper, and he could still say he collected 'Vettes.

I think it would be harder to assemble Chevette collection then a Corvette collection, it would be cheaper.......... but finding them is another story.