The people you deal with

Guest marlin65

Guest marlin65

Some examples:

They have an item for sale.

The email address doesn't work or they read it twice a year.

The phone number is dis-connected.

When you do phone them a 6 year old answers the phone and then hangs up!

His wife answers and knows nothing of what you are calling about.

He answers, gives no info or details no matter how many questions you ask.

Has sold the item last year and "forgot" to cancel the ad.

His ad said "shipping extra" but now can't ship.

Anyone else have any great experiences with sellers

An irritation to me, is when the seller does not list a price. If I had known the person was attempting to fund a home near Martha's Vineyard, with the proceeds of a bracket, I would not have called multiple times, and left a message with a 6 year old, lol! "Accepting offers" is another one. Just tell me..."I really don't want to sell it, I just feel better knowing you need it". But, on the plus side, many good transactions have outweighed the irritating ones so far.

I agree on the price issue. I once found a car I really wanted, and had sufficient funds to pay fair market value. It was found through a mutual acquaintance, not through an ad.

Called the fellow who owned the car, and after a brief description of the car by him, I asked him what he wanted for the car....well, he said, let me tell you a little more about it...and he talked for about an hour, with me asking the appropriate questions, and once every ten minutes or so I'd ask the price. Finally, after an hour (I was trying to be patient, remember, really wanted the car), he names a price that was easily three times market value. Wasn't even worth discussing with him, could tell his mind was made up that was the price.

Always enjoy chatting old cars with people, but sometimes a case like this comes along that's just frustrating.....

Or buyers that beat you to death with questions and then respond by saying "Ok, now I have to check with my wife" (the best ones are the guys that refer their wives as "bosses"), buyers that commit to buying something and then never follow up with a deposit or payment, or buyers that agree to purchase something then balk at high shipping costs (did you really think you could get that Packard fender shipped from California to Maine for 22.00??!!) I have found that for every bad seller I have dealt with, there are three times that many bad buyers.

A few weeks ago someone listed a Duesenberg for sale here on the forums, which is a little unusual, but I looked at his antique car dealer's website and he had something even more unusual: an "Aston-Healey". It turned out to be an only slightly mislabeled Austin Taxi.

Guest Gary Hearn

I haven't bothered with responding to ads without a price for decades. In most cases if the person can't describe what they have with a 3rd grade education or above, i d not waste my time responding. Life is too short to get all worked up about idiots.

Or buyers that beat you to death with questions and then respond by saying "Ok, now I have to check with my wife" (the best ones are the guys that refer their wives as "bosses"), buyers that commit to buying something and then never follow up with a deposit or payment, or buyers that agree to purchase something then balk at high shipping costs (did you really think you could get that Packard fender shipped from California to Maine for 22.00??!!) I have found that for every bad seller I have dealt with, there are three times that many bad buyers.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Winner! I don't have any control over how much it costs to move a car, but everyone asks me to pay for it. And don't get me started on the guys who ask me to risk my license to help them cheat on their taxes...

On a related note, on nice days I park a car outside of my shop each day to let folks know I'm there. One guy came in just as I was locking up to go home for the evening and said he'd seen the car during his lunch hour and wanted to have a look. OK, fair enough, please come in. I pulled out the car he'd seen, we took a decent drive, and he spent about an hour looking it over inside and out. This seemed very promising. I answered all his questions, let him spend all the time with the car he wanted, and told my wife and kids I'd be missing dinner to get this deal done, don't wait up for me. About an hour and a half later, he says, "Well, thanks for letting me look. I'm restoring one of these and wanted to see how it should look and feel when it's done. See you later!"

Grrrr...

My experience is akin to Matt's. After being told the car is not for sale, I hear "Would you take $x0.000.00?"

I learned to ask, is that a question or an offer? Usually it's an idle question.

I hate when I'm in a flea market and I see something in the next row but they won't let you cut through their space and you have to go to the end of the row and come up the other side.. Then there's people that won't let you come to the other side of their table where they can't watch you, like accusing you of trying to steal a $2 item.

My experience is akin to Matt's. After being told the car is not for sale, I hear "Would you take $x0.000.00?"

I learned to ask, is that a question or an offer? Usually it's an idle question.

When they hit me with that question I always say if that's an offer do they have it in their pocket.