Wanted-Old Fashioned Sticky Cloth Electrical Tape

NTArrington

It's called FRICTION TAPE and it is getting hard to find.

When I lived in Virginia I could always get it at

BOWIE'S HARDWARE in Oak Grove, Virginia,

about 30 miles east of Fredericksburg on Virginia Route 3.

I bought all they had in December before I left,

but I'm sure they have more. I'm going up there this

weekend, and can check for more, but won't be back until 15 Dec.

If you live near Bull Run, it's not that long a drive,

and when you get there, you are at the entrance

to God's Country, Virginia's Northern Neck.

Guest Silverghost

Old Style "Friction Tape" is very hard to find ...

BUT... I use HOCKEY TAPE (Renfrew Co. Canada)

which is used to wrap hockey sticks that seems to be the same as "Friction Tape" with a much better adhesive than the old tape. It has a very nice woven black cloth backing!!! This is a great period looking harness wrapping tape!!!

It's also great to wrap starter,motor + Gen. windings to look origional.

Most sporting goods stores here in Pennsylvania carry it!!!

If you like...I can send you some rolls???

Guest De Soto Frank

In addition to being an early electrical tape, friction tape (my Dad calls it "tar-tape") was used as an anti-squeak between wooden body framing members and also metal to wood joints in wooden coachwork, according to my 1932 Fisher Body manual...

I never found it very good as electrical tape, but as "friction tape", there are few things better !

I have to disagree with Frank. The stuff sold as electrical tape, polyester tape with one side adhesive, is not adequately flexible, so it doesn't wrap into tiny corners. In my experience it always falls off. In contrast, friction tape (simply known as insulating tape in Britain) bends in all directions and is sticky to itself, but not to other things, on both sides.

When I found I could not buy thin laminated safety glass but had to settle for thicker, I could not use the expected U-shaped rubber strip in the channels of my Rover's windshield, and had to resort to friction tape, which in fact worked very well.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

Guest De Soto Frank

Ken,

I have found there are varying qualities of plastic electrical tape - the best was stuff my father-in-law had from his days with the Bell System...very flexible and sticky.

Most of the stuff you find at the home centers these days is no where near as good...

I use heat-shrink tubing wherever possible nowadays...the softer flexible stuff preferable...the shiny black shrink tube from Lowe's isn't so great...

Kind of like comparing modern vinyl-coated extension cords to good old genuine rubber-jacketed SJ cord...I'll take the rubber stuff any day...I hate fighting stiff, kinky vinyl cords.

3M also makes a rubber tape (semi sticky one side) that is about 1 1/4" wide and a little thicker then friction tape however you can stretch it to a thinner thickness. I use it for the side glass, etc where the rubber u channel is not available or too thick. Trimming it with a razor around the window frame after the window is installed makes it look factory.

Wayne, your getting to be a computer wizard! laugh.gif

Cloth based electrical tape is called Gaffing tape. It is purely cloth based without the excessive adhesive like Duct tape. Its intended to be used in motors and places where it may get hot and you don't want adhesive to drip into moving parts. 3M makes several versions, the one I'm familiar with is 3M6910 which is 2 inches wide. I'm sure they make a narrower version.

Chris wink.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Hmmm...

"Gaffer's Tape" ( as I know it, from the performing arts, where "gaffers" come from ) is a cloth tape, not excessively adhesived, but it's different from friction tape.

Gaffer's tape is sticky on one side, but has a smooth (non-sticky) finish on the top side. Friction tape (as I remember it) is sticky on all sides... grin.gif

In the entertainment industry, gaff-tape is used for "everything", but it's primary function was to tape down lighting and audio cables on stage and movie sets. If not left in place too long, it usually pulls-off leaving little or no residue, and usually does not harm painted surfaces.

I have used it as an electrical tape in an emergency, but it is not necessarily water-proof or electricity-proof.

It can turn gooey if left in place for a long time...

I believe Gaffer's tape is made from a slightly lighter weight cloth than friction tape, but that might be the difference in coatings...

Gaff tape is available in a variety of colors; the standard width is 2". The 1/2" wide version is known as "spike tape".

Now that I know about it (and it is readily available) I don't know how I ever lived without it !

• 5 months later...

I also used hockey tape to wrap up wiring harness. It works really good in cold climate. Go to any Sporting goods store. It is even a lot cheaper, especially when you are wrapping whole harnesses to give them that period look,

• 5 years later...
Does anybody know where you can still get the

old fashioned, non vinyl, cloth style electrical tape.

I want to wrap a portion of a wiring harness up

and that shiny stuff just doesn't look right

-Thanks

Can't be too old fashioned since the 2012 Chevy Cruze I picked up has it all under the hood on the wiring harnesses.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth bumping the thread to spread the word about Gaffer's tape, I bought an assortment of widths in black (and two rolls of white) and it's been serving me well for years.

The stuff is fantastic. Easy to tear and it comes off without leaving residue, at least if it hasn't been applied for very long.

If you are re-wrapping wiring harness then you want "Harness Tape", not friction tape. Friction tape seems to have a lot more adhesive and is affected by the heat a lot more than harness tape.

I just re-wrapped the harness in the engine compartment of my BMW 633 CSi and it looks great.

The picture of the BMW harness tape found at the ebay link I attached does not look that great, but when I re-wrapped the harness it came out perfect and solid black. This is the exact place where I got mine.

bmw harness tape | eBay

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Yes I know this is an old thread, but there may be members out there looking for harness tape.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest KarynMcB

Quote from Vila: Yes I know this is an old thread, but there may be members out there looking for harness tape.

And another year and a half later, here is yet another post on the subject! I was extremely happy to find this web site-I am actually looking for the cloth tape to cover aluminum wiring on which the coating has (probably long ago) crumbled away in a Singer sewing machine motor. Thank you for the tidbits of information-at least now I know where to start looking! (P.S. Oddly enough, I have access to gaff tape at work at our local college's Performance Hall-but I'm thinking the post regarding heat and sustainability is probably dead on, and am going to try to get the "real thing" at an electrical or automotive location, first.) Karyn McB