car songs...need help!

Off the top of my head:

Buick '59, Beep-Beep, Antique '32 Studebaker Dictator Coupe, The Lonely Stocker, GTO, Bite Bite Barracuda, Mustang Sally, Pink Cadillac (2 songs, same title), Black & White Thunderbird, Red Cadillac, White Cadillac, Black Cadillac, (I want a) Lavendar Cadillac, Rocket 88, Lets Go for a Ride, Gas Money, Wild Wild Mustang, Super Fine 289, Terraplane Blues, SS 396, Camaro, '64 Ford, Corvair Baby

I'm sure there's many more.

Guest De Soto Frank

Here's a few more:

"He'd have to get out and get under" ("to fix-up his automo-bile") (c. 1910)

"Gasoline Gus and his jitney bus"

"Ray and his little Chevrolet"

"Henry's made a lady out of Lizzie" ( 1927 ?)

"Keep away from the fellow who owns an automobile" (pre-WW I )

"It's de-lightful, it's de-lovely, it's De Soto" (adaptation of Cole Porter's "De-lovely" ; De Soto theme from the 1950's)

Steve, if you're seeking more titles than we can dredge up, try visiting the Lester Levy Sheet Music Library, on-line. This collection was donated to Johns-Hopkins, and contains thousands of titles from the mid-20th century back to the 18th century.

They have an excellent on-line search feature, and in most cases, you can download scans of music that is in the public domain... (but beware, there's some stuff in there that would be considered "politically incorrect" these days; for those who are sensitive...)

Plan to spend several hours there... grin.gif

Thanks everyone...I am looking for a great song...I do like Mustang Sally but oh my gosh, an Olds guy touting a Ford song! Looking for something for the new site. Don't worry guys, you will not be forced to listen. The new home page is drastically different but I really think it is a HUGE improvement for us and the navigation is outstanding. I had better find the right song as my singing voice will never work!

Guest sixpack2639

Peter, I don't think thats quite what Steve is looking for. LOL

Although you are probably correct in stating most of us have had one at some point! Carl

Steve, How about some beach music like....409 or Little old lady from Pasadena?

How about "Rocket 88" by Jackie Bernston. First released on Chess 113 in 1950, re-released in 1951 on Chess 1958, and again re-released in 1984 on Chess 91012.

I have a listing of roughly 1500 car records if you are interested; however, other than "In My Merry Oldsmobile", this seems to be the only one Olds related.

Jon.

Steve-I've got over 200 pieces of auto sheet music in my collection and could send you the titles separately, but I suspect from your last post you are interested in real music you can attach to the website right?

If its real music you need, the California Antique Phonograph Society sells a CD with auto songs including the following:

Reuben Haskins rides a cyclone auto (1903)

I think I oughtn't auto anymore (1907)

On the back seat of the old Henry Ford (1916)

Gasoline Gus and his Jitney Bus (1915)

The little ford Rambled Right Along (1914)

In My Merry Oldsmobile (1905)

O'Brien's Automobile (1908)

Keep Away from the fellow who owns an automobile (1912)

Uncle Josh on an automobile (1903)

Ray and his little Chevrolet (1923)

Cohen phones about his auto (1922)

Since Henry Ford apologized to me (1927)

Henry Made a Lady out of Lizzie (1928)

Poor Lizzie, What'll become of you now (1928)

I'm Wild about horns on an automobile (1928)

That brand new model of mine (1928)

You might also want to contact Bill Truesdell at Management Advantage Inc in Walnut Creek, Ca. Bill has produced a video tape with auto songs and sheet music images that he sells on behalf of the Diablo Model A club Inc. You can reach Bill at www.hrwebstore.com

There have been a couple of record albums published over the years that also contain auto songs but I don't know how easily obtainable they are or if they might be available on tape or CD. Some research would be required.

Most of the music has been recorded from original records or even early cylinder records so it often lacks quality, but it does have character!

Terry

Guest Moepar

toot toot chug a lug big red car (yes, actually a song that I have on CD)

little old lady from pasadena

built for speed

chevy van

truckin'

big black chevrolet

little red corvette

on the road again (well, sorta a car song, maybe)

road runner theme (played at most mopar car shows anyway)

this is your daddy's oldsmobile (this is great for an olds guy!!)

race with the devil

king of the road (??)

stand on it

motor head baby

freeway of love

If you'd like any of 'em Steve, just pm me & I'll see about getting you a copy (I only have on CD-don't have actual sheet music, but is interesting listening)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am looking for a great song...Looking for something for the new site. </div></div>

I had to transcribe these lyrics myself from one of my cds, so they might not be perfect. This is "Antique '32 Studebaker Dictator Coupe" by Ronny and the Daytonas (the <span style="font-style: italic">"Little GTO, You're really looking fine, 3 deuces and a 4 speed, and a 389"</span> guys). It's not an easy song to find, but check out these lyrics:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">[color:\\"green\\"]"Got my girl and it's Sunday,

Gonna have some fun 'fore Monday,

Heading on out to the freeway,

With the coolest thing on the highway.

(chorus) "Me and my antique '32 Studebaker Dictator coupe!

"Continental kit and a rumble seat,

Roll-back rooftop sure is neat,

Free-wheel style is back in town,

Straight 8 drive really moves around.

"My little antique '32 Studebaker Dictator coupe!

"Move out little Dictator,

You're a cool road operator,

Leave the late-styles far behind,

Gonna get us to the beach on time.

"Me and my antique '32 Studebaker Dictator coupe!"</span></span>

Corny as hell, I know, but the whole song is 2 minutes and 4 seconds long, <span style="font-weight: bold">it's about what <span style="font-style: italic">we</span> do</span> (still today), and it's pretty catchy for not being released as a single. cool.gif

I seriously believe that I own a copy of every car-centered song released since 1950 (about 200+ cd's & lp's), and a dozen or so earlier car songs. This is the closest I can come to a song that is about the joys of <span style="font-style: italic">our</span> (authentic car) hobby. I believe that Sundazed Records currently holds the copyright to the song, and I'd be very surprised if they had any issues with a non-profit use of it given their corporate philosophy. smile.gif

I don't think you could do better musically for the AACA. cool.gif

B000003H19.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Well, in his original message he stressed not hot rod related so that is probably why no one put it.

How about Jan and Dean's "Dead Man's Curve"?

Or "Oh where, oh where can my baby be"? (Not sure who did that one.)

Or "Tell Laura I Love Her"? (This song FREAKS Bill out when he hears it. Twice when he was going into the pit area of the race track with his '55 Ford Crown Victoria dirt car that song came on. Both times he wrecked badly in the race. Once he barreled rolled it several times and once he plowed the wall and cracked his hip joint. shocked.gif The damage to the hip was not found until his physical for the Air Force several years later.)

Guest Moepar

And here's some more....

Ridin' around in my automobile

Our Car Club

Cars

daddy took the t-bird away

truck driving man

big blue plymouth

car wash

harley davidson blues

pontiac gto judge

workin at the car wash blues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave - I suspect there are a few you are missing. At 600 + LP's and over a 1000 45's, I'm not even close to having them all frown.gif

Jon. </div></div>

I was talking about lp's and cds exclusively devoted to just "hot rod music", mainly surf and rockabilly with a few country, rock and doo wop records tossed in. A few are privately made compilation cds I lucked into. My regular music collection is much larger, although I own less than a hundred 45's. They're too expensive (these days) and the sound quality (especially after 1960/65) really suffers by comparison to lp's.

turntable.gifcool.gif

Most of the 45-only releases are available on compilation discs, including everything from any "major" artist. There are several dozen minor/local 45-only releases listed in <span style="font-style: italic">The Illustrated Discography of Hot Rod Music 1961-1965</span> that I'm missing, but these are almost unobtainable (especially in the mid-west). Otherwise if it's out there i'm pretty sure I have at least one copy.

I still like "Hot Rod Lincoln"....okay, two more:

Mary Lou by Young Jessie, Rythem & Blues song, 1955, has a line: "I had a 55 Ford and two dollar bill, the way she took that Man, it gave me a chill".

Maybelline by Chuck Berry, Rythem & Blues song, 1955, has lines: "Cadillac rollin' about 95, bumper to bumper, side by side, .......Ford got hot and wouldn't do no more."

There was another one around that time called Buick49, but I don't remember anything more about it.

Guest invicta592

Are we looking for any song at all? or just those that refer to Oldsmobiles?

Chuck Berry - You Can't Catch Me

Jules Blattner - No Money Down (has the edge on Chuck's version IMHO)

Jimmy Carroll - Big Green Car

Chuck Miller - Bright Red Convertible

Gene Vincent - Cruisin'

Lots of good ideas guys and no we are not looking for a specific kind of car just a upbeat song that isn't old sounding like "In My Merry Oldsmobile"! I started to like the Chuck Berry tune, Riding around in my automobile, until I read the lyrics. Back to the drawing board...you guys have given me way too much to check out!

If there is a site I can listen to any of these let me know. Lots of songs are great in lyrics but we want something catchy, upbeat and fun. Some of the car songs are just too much like ballads.

Guest invicta592

I haven't heard "In my merry Oldsmobile", and somehow I think I may not have missed anything earth shattering. It sounds like something Bing Crosby would have sung, so I'm guessing "old sounding" means pre-50's?

I could do some low quality samples for you to listen to over the web, although it won't be until tomorrow evening before I get chance.

Guest De Soto Frank

The Merry Oldsmobile is more a-kin to something the Buffalo Bills (BarberShop Quartet) might've sung in "The Music Man"...it's really a Gilded-Age /Gay Nineties kind of tune...a good song, but definitely "period", especially some of the lyrics: " Down the road of life we'll fly, automobubbling [sic], you and I...".

Speaking of SPEBSQSA, I remember singing a barbershop ditty called "Cruisin' in my Model T"...

here's couple more titles, though I think they might just be intrumentals:

"The Chevy Chase" - by Eubie Blake...don't know if it was about the DC suburb, or a car chase involving a Chevrolet...

"Steppin' on the gas"...a 1920's dance tune...

Then there was the "Dodge Bothers March", composed by Victor Herbert...

And while not quite what we're after, I have (somewhere) in my collection of several thousand 78's, a little square brown fibre advertising record touting the "new Chevrolet...(blah-blah-blah) only $695, FOB Flint, MI"...I'm guessing late '20s - early '30s.

Great stuff Dave. I think what we need is a separate section on the website that we can go to and listen to a variety of old car songs. My all-time favorite is indeed Little GTO. In fact, when its played around here, we usually stand up.

Now-nobody has yet mentioned Springsteen's Racin in the Street!

"Got a '69 Chevy with a 396,

fulie heads and a hurst on the floor..."

Terry

Guest De Soto Frank

Hows-about the theme-song from "My Mother the Car"...? crazy.gif

You kind find and listen to it through Google... ( I didn't add the link to my "Favorites"...)

Steve Moskowitz says: "I started to like the Chuck Berry tune, Riding around in my automobile, until I read the lyrics." Awe Steve, you're just too young, you must be from that Humperdink era in the 70s!! Old Chuck Berry's Maybelline was as "upbeat" as you can get!! Well, if you really want to get modern, how about country music star Alan Jackson's "Gonna Buy Me a Mercury"? Hey, I think at one time (and maybe still) Alan Jackson was an AACA member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dave...it is a very good possibility but I am still looking for something a bit more upbeat... </div></div>

I <span style="font-weight: bold">hope</span> this is facetious! grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "Got a '69 Chevy with a 396,

fulie heads and a hurst on the floor..." </div></div>

I've purchased every release by Bruce on it's release day since <span style="font-style: italic">Darkness on the Edge of Town</span>, usually first thing in the morning. The guy that owned the record store in Iowa in 1980 thought I was nuts waiting for him to open to buy <span style="font-style: italic">The River</span>! I think he sold his second copy the next week. However, I must say that it is on this lyric you learn whether Bruce is a poet or a car guy.

(There are no big block "fuelie heads"!) blush.gif

Either that or he really is <span style="font-style: italic">one he!!</span> of a car guy! badass.gifburnout.gifsmirk.gif