Classic 1974 Jensen Interceptor, Stock orignal car with 440 v8 - $8,400

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/spokane-classic-1974-jensen-interceptor/7792366213.html

Located in Kennewick washington 99336 $8900 obo call or text 5o9-460-3592

condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 84,513
paint color: silver
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

Beautiful rare classic 1974 Jensen Interceptor with 84k original miles, factory 440 v8, all complete and intact and very very solid cond. Was originally bought in Portland Oregon then spend the last 10 or so years in California. Extremely solid original car. All the glass is good and Intact. Interior is all there but sun baked. Currently doesn't run but everything is all there don't think it would take much to get going again. Not many of these beauty's still left around. Has a good clean Oregon title and keys along with some extra parts and pieces . Asking $8400 or close cash offer offer offer!. Rolls and steers for easy transport. I've got a good shipper also if your not local. Car is located in Kennewick WA 99335.   Call or text Ken - (509) 460-3592

Classic 1974 Jensen Interceptor, Stock orginal car with 440 v8 1

01111_fTRBNW4FJlQ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_1zamivlHA4x_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_7EKDWxzEFPk_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_hqqkxcBqfuI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4

There was an Iranian Syracuse University graduate student with one of these who would occasionally stop in for gas at my best friend's father's Sunoco station in the university area.  I always thought it was cool to 'raise the bonnet' to check the oil and see that big 440 Chrysler filling the engine bay!  ;)

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

The price makes me think something bad is going on.

I don’t know. $8,900 (or is it $8,400?) ask for a non-running Interceptor that also needs paint and interior? I don’t follow them closely but looking at BaT results I see nice ones sold for high $20s and low $30s. I don’t think you can get this one to the same condition for that level of spend. 

• Like 2

Claims to be a west-coast car, so hopefully it is not rusty...  :unsure:

The Chrysler drivetrain is bulletproof, so I wouldn't be too concerned about getting it running again.  Recommissioning the brakes might be more challenging.  I don't know what type of system was used on these.

• Like 1

These had my attention 30 years ago. The 440 along with the Jensen name had me pretending they were a “value Aston Martin”…….about par for the course growing up in the sophistication of small town rural Indiana circa 1980’s. 

fast forward to the present, and this is another great car that I would like to encourage a buddy to buy and pour into while I hear about the experience on the sidelines.

I used to wrestle with the dilemma of should I buy one of these, or an Alfa Montreal………. undeterred by the fact that I didn’t have $100 to my name. 

Hopefully this isn’t a mess and someone can get it on the road without any hidden financial disasters.  

• Like 4

In many ways they are a budget Aston. The shop I worked at back in the 1980's would get one in for repairs every now and then. I always looked forward to test drives. As long as it isn't too rusty they deliver a lot of bang for the buck. Pretty decent handling as well. A highway mile eater.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

I don’t know. $8,900 (or is it $8,400?) ask for a non-running Interceptor that also needs paint and interior? I don’t follow them closely but looking at BaT results I see nice ones sold for high $20s and low $30s. I don’t think you can get this one to the same condition for that level of spend. 

You might be right.  I'm probably still living in the 90s when they would bring good money.  I admittedly don't follow them because they are all automatics which offends my sensibilities for a sport/performance car.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

A highway mile eater.

I see it more as an 'affordable' classic British Grand Touring car.  Once on the highway it'll spend 99% of the time in high gear anyway...  ;)

I'd like to know how Jensen was able to get all that weight hanging in the front to go around corners in a decent manner when Carrol Shelby wasn't able to do it in the Sunbeam Tiger with a smaller engine. The Tiger was great in a straight line but I hated horsing it around corners at speed. Is the Jensen a larger car?

7 hours ago, Fossil said:

Is the Jensen a larger car?

Yes, and I think the engine sits back behind the front spindles; the photo above shows it sits pretty tight to the firewall.

And how great is that name, "Interceptor"!  I picture it blasting down the Autobahn at triple-digit speeds.  ;)

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/1974-jensen-interceptor-iii/

image.png.5e22d5528f158ba53f009ae44f7c0cef.png

Yeah, seems fishy...  That said, I skimmed the Hemmings article and they say there was an "SP' model with the 'six-pack' induction system. (I think this was the 385 HP version.).  How cool would have been!  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yeah, seems fishy...  That said, I skimmed the Hemmings article and they say there was an "SP' model with the 'six-pack' induction system. (I think this was the 385 HP version.).  How cool would have been!  ;)

There was a six pack in 1974?  I'm learning a lot of new things here.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The SD455 was only rated at 310 in 1974.

If you check the 1970 Buick 455 4 barrel you'll find it was 375 HP. If I remember correctly 1970 was the last year for most of the high compression engines. Government took care of those. 

55 minutes ago, alsancle said:

There was a six pack in 1974?  I'm learning a lot of new things here.

The last 440 Magnum 'Six-Pack' C.R. 10.5:1, 385 hp & 5200 rpm, (3) Holley 2v carburetors is listed for 1971.  By 1974, no 'Six-Pack' listed, only Magnum V8 C.R. 8.2:1, 275 net hp.  Jensen must have laid-in an inventory of 1971 engines to use in the 'Malaise Era'.

• Like 1

Don’t know much about the vehicles themselves, but have to say one of the coolest names ever!

Also don’t forget it’s sibling - the sort lived Jensen Interceptor FF with Ferguson four well drive system and an early form of antilock brakes. Later Interceptors we’re available as a convertible as well.

All were developed to eat up miles fast and in comfort. An excellent example should fetch mid to high 40’s. However, prices seem to be all over the place. 

closest comparison I can think of would be a Bristol of the same period.  If that that means anything.