Vintage upholstery question (1956 Porsche 356A coupe. I am restoring the interior currently and am struggling to source this type batting(?).)

Hey guys,

I am in the process of restoring a 1956 Porsche 356A coupe.  I am restoring the interior currently and am struggling to source this type batting(?).  I suppose it is called batting but am unsure.  It appears to be multiple colored scraps and strings mixed in with the predominantly grey material.  I want to avoid foam and go back with something similar but have been unsuccessful finding this material.  I have found “sheets” that resemble it but what I am removing appears to be loose.  
Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

G

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Vintage upholstery question (1956 Porsche 356A coupe. I am restoring the interior currently and am struggling to source this type batting(?).)

I have seen carpet padding that looks identical to this.It was about 1/2" thick and it came in a roll about 4 feet wide.However,this was 20-25 years ago.A carpet outlet may have something similar to what you are looking for.I don't know if it is still being made.

You need to post this question on  Porsche form. These cars have become expensive enough that "doing it correctly" is definitely worth it, and there are plenty of nitpickers out there. 

• Like 1

Are you sure that is from 1956? I'm no Porsche expert, but I doubt it.

That looks like what is typically used for carpet padding in cars today. It's called "Jute" by everyone selling it, but it isn't jute, it is shredded old clothes. Check with a car upholstery supplier. It won't be quite as "loose" as that, and does come on a roll, but will look about the same. Don't go to a carpet store, they have something that looks about like that but it is bound up really tight with some kind of glue(?), and probably isn't what you want.

Real Jute has a similar texture, but is all brown because it is plant fiber. Many cars used it in the 50s, but I don't know about Porsche. If real Jute is what you need and you happen to be in North America, it is completely unavailable. About 10 years ago, I found one restoration fabric supplier in the UK who claimed to be able to supply it, but I never tried to order any.

Bloo,

Thank you for the comments.  You may be correct.  It is definitely from a 1956 Porsche back seat upper.  Question is, was this added many years late?.  It did not appear to have ever been opened but it was the only seat component thus far that was not made from molded horse hair( coconut husk?) over springs with jute ties.  The horse hair is unavailable here as well.  I recently recieved a shipment from Belgium that is spot on.

G

• Like 1

I bought sound deadening material for my trans am restoration to go behind the back seat. If my feeble memory is correct it is a similar product. I will get to the shop this afternoon and take a pic.

22 hours ago, GatorDoc said:

Hey guys,

I am in the process of restoring a 1956 Porsche 356A coupe.  I am restoring the interior currently and am struggling to source this type batting(?).  I suppose it is called batting but am unsure.  It appears to be multiple colored scraps and strings mixed in with the predominantly grey material.  I want to avoid foam and go back with something similar but have been unsuccessful finding this material.  I have found “sheets” that resemble it but what I am removing appears to be loose.  
Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

G

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

I'm fairly sure that's not original material used in 1956 in any car.

It's just like the use of modern, dense foams, another readily available/cheap stuff lazy owners & hack upholsterers utilize instead of bothering with authenticity and originality. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

53579421970_087ff91aae_c.jpg20240310_122527 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53579422085_126239884e_c.jpg20240310_122530 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

This is the stuff I have for my firebird. Its about 3/8" or so thick. Pre cut to fit the inner wheel wells so not a very big piece. Its been so long that I have been working on this car I honestly cannot remember ordering it! It may have been in the parts stash when I bought it. Having taken this stuff out of original cars I know this is a good replacement part at least for my car. Looks similar to what the op posted.

It always amazes me that someone will begin the restoration of a car and not join a club dedicated to that particular model or marque.

Club members would have all the answers for stuff like upholstery and parts needs.

Good luck with your search but the first place I would start is a Porsche club.

I know there are plenty of 356 experts out there. I used to know one of the best, he even had his own 356 dedicated shop, but passed about 10 years ago.

Restoration Specialties has that material on page 113 of their catalog. Like someone above said, they call it jute but it is not. 

Thank you gentlemen.    

Zepher....  I appreciate your advice.  I am a member of about every 356 club you can name plus many that you may have never heard of.  But I was unable to get a good answer from the "gold standard club" the 356 Registry members.   It amazes me how many people have restored 356's and yet have no idea what is in their seats.  Most of the early 356 guys ( pre A or T1 A cars) are long gone.

I will say the bulk of the seating material has been horse hair( coconut husk).

I did finally got an answer from one of the guru's in early 356 restoration who is located in the Netherlands.  He said....

The cotton is original.  The same material was used in various other parts of the interior. It is also sewn into the seats between the vinyl/leather and the backing forming the “rows”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GatorDoc said:

Thank you gentlemen.    

Zepher....  I appreciate your advice.  I am a member of about every 356 club you can name plus many that you may have never heard of.  But I was unable to get a good answer from the "gold standard club" the 356 Registry members.   It amazes me how many people have restored 356's and yet have no idea what is in their seats.  Most of the early 356 guys ( pre A or T1 A cars) are long gone.

I will say the bulk of the seating material has been horse hair( coconut husk).

I did finally got an answer from one of the guru's in early 356 restoration who is located in the Netherlands.  He said....

The cotton is original.  The same material was used in various other parts of the interior. It is also sewn into the seats between the vinyl/leather and the backing forming the “rows”

The guy I knew, was a legend on the 356 Registry site.
He specialized in doing perfect repairs in floor pans and rockers.

Sadly, he passed way too soon.

He always said he loved pissing off hard core Porsche 356 folks by telling them they were glorified Volkswagens. 

Hopefully you have your answer on that material.

PS, in the future you may try letting everyone know that you have gone to all of the dedicated clubs and haven't found an answer so you're asking the AACA knowledge base.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)