Speed camera legislation Virginia

This is one I hope is soundly defeated.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?241+sum+HB20

They're currently allowed in school and construction zones, which I have no issue with. 

Given the abuse some states have perpetrated with red-light cameras, and knowing that every local government is going for every scrap of revenue they can legally grab, this is horrifically bad legislation. Safety and speed enforcement is one thing, but opening the door for abuse is something else entirely.

• Thanks 1

We have them in MD, as far as I know they can be anywhere. My small town was going to put some in. I do not condone speeding or reckless driving but these are nothing more than a cash grab for the owner of the speed camera company. The cameras are run by an independent contractor and proceeds are split with the municipality. Like a lot of things, has nothing to do with safety, all about the money!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was working in Bmore remodeling a restaurant. All the work had to be done after hours. We started around 8pm and worked until 4 or 5 am. Its an hour drive from my door. A lot of times driving through the city at 4 am I would be the only car on the road. My brother that ran the office got tired of paying my speeding tickets! Seems I would trip the camera about twice a week. The funny thing was that doing about 60mph there were 3 pics. One at a distance, one closer up and a zoom in of the tag. All perfectly clear!! You see surveillance footage of a robbery on tv with the crook walking in front of the camera and you cant make out any features at all!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

HB20 was continued to the 2025 session. Not quite as good as going away completely but better than having it go to the full Legislature for vote.

Some truly mean-spirited legislation has been proposed in Virginia this session. It's what happens when people with agendas or axes to grind get themselves elected.

• Like 1

Several years ago they set up these speed cameras on 285 which is perimeter highway that goes around Atlanta. The problem was in Georgia a traffic ticket is issued to the driver not the vehicle. With these cameras the ticket was issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. People would go to court and say they were not driving the car, a family member might have been driving it or a friend etc... The court had to throw the ticket out. These cameras only lasted a few months after no money being made. The same thing happened when they started using red light cameras, almost all cases thrown out. 

Heard a story some time ago where some high schoolers photocopied an image of a teachers tag, placed it over their tag and proceeded around town running red lights and tolls.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Boy. I can't think of any teacher (anyone else for that matter) I disliked that much!😄can think of a couple of Vajenya legislators who could benefit from being the object of such a prank though, for introducing stupid, expensive and mean-spirited legislation! Unfortunately I don't know any devious high school kids in Northern Virginia...

Adds another layer that the people who come up with this stuff never think about when it's implemented.

13 hours ago, vintage1 said:

Several years ago they set up these speed cameras on 285 which is perimeter highway that goes around Atlanta... These cameras only lasted a few months after no money being made.

Follow the money.😏 Daresay the vast majority of legislation proposed has revenue as the ultimate goal, and revenge as a lesser goal.

Chicago is/was rife with both speed and red light cameras. And you're right, they're entirely a revenue stream. At least in Chicago, you have to pay a court appearance request to fight the ticket, win or lose. Plus, the fine. It's way easier to pay it, assuming you can afford it.

Between 10 and 15 years ago a speed camera system was installed on a stretch of road adjacent to a large school. The road was 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile long and a known speed trap. Once the camera system came into play tickets came in the mail to many people. The grapevine spread to news and viewed it as a sneaky, Big Brother approach. It so enraged the locals that they were all forewarned and entered the area with great caution.

Soon the flow of mailed ticket slow dramatically. The comptroller calculated a loss of nearly $1,000,000 annually in county revenue due to the camera system. The cameras were removed, income restored, and cars are still ticketed. A one on one encounter with the violation appears to be more acceptable.

• Like 1