My '53.

Front Yard 3Qtr View.jpg

What a show stopper - nice car!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a very interesting backstory for a beautiful car. Was the car truly originally RHD (and sold in Uruguay that way) or LHD, sold here in the States, and then converted to RHD when shipped to Uruguay? The yellow wheels really pop for me against the deep red.

In my younger day, I had little appreciation for cars before 1940 or so. Now, I am fascinated by brass era vehicles (but of course, like so many of us, have a "no more space" problem, now that some are financially attainable).

Beautiful car, though, as I say. Great to hear that she runs as good as she looks. 😉

On 8/5/2024 at 7:29 AM, LewisR said:

That's a very interesting backstory for a beautiful car. Was the car truly originally RHD (and sold in Uruguay that way) or LHD, sold here in the States, and then converted to RHD when shipped to Uruguay? The yellow wheels really pop for me against the deep red.

In my younger day, I had little appreciation for cars before 1940 or so. Now, I am fascinated by brass era vehicles (but of course, like so many of us, have a "no more space" problem, now that some are financially attainable).

Beautiful car, though, as I say. Great to hear that she runs as good as she looks. 😉

Thanks, Lewis, for the kind words.

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe this Pontiac, like many Detroit exports to South America (before WWII) shipped as RHD to match the destination’s traffic habits. The fellow we purchased the car from converted to LHD soon after he re-imported it.

My mom decided to “liven” up the color scheme with the bright yellow wheels. I get mixed reactions about that, but generally favorable.

I know for certain that Detroit exported my 1929 Dodge Phaeton to Argentina as a RHD vehicle. A local San Diegan repatriated it back to the US in the 1980’s. It remained RHD until I converted it to LHD. I retained all the original RHD components should the next owner prefer driving a mail-truck.

A little history on Uruguay’s LHD/RHD situation: Early in the 20th century, Uruguay became a Left Hand Traffic (LHT) country. On September 9, 1945, Uruguay joined several other South American countries and switched to RHT. This change didn’t happen overnight. For safety reasons, Uruguay’s government wisely lowered the speed limit to 30 km/h (19 mph) for about 3 weeks. Finally, on September 30, 1945, Uruguay went full-speed ahead with the new driving scheme! 

Some countries, however, didn’t trust its constituency like Uruguay did. Argentina, for example, slowed down traffic for over 1 year while transitioning to the new system.

Imagine the chaos if the U.S. decided to make a RHT to LHT conversion today? You’d have the old drivers with their LHD cars vs. inexperienced newbies driving RHD cars (while talking on cell phones). I suspect that transition would take more than three weeks!

Edited by idrjoe_sandiego (see edit history)

8 hours ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

Thanks, Lewis, for the kind words.

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe this Pontiac, like many Detroit exports to South America (before WWII) shipped as RHD to match the destination’s traffic habits. The fellow we purchased the car from converted to LHD soon after he re-imported it.

My mom decided to “liven” up the color scheme with the bright yellow wheels. I get mixed reactions about that, but generally favorable.

Very interesting. In my younger years, I would have been more dismissive of such historical details, but these days, this stuff truly fascinates me.

I know for certain that Detroit exported my 1929 Dodge Phaeton to Argentina as a RHD vehicle. A local San Diegan repatriated it back to the US in the 1980’s. It remained RHD until I converted it to LHD. I retained all the original RHD components should the next owner prefer driving a mail-truck.

Mail truck: LOL

A little history on Uruguay’s LHD/RHD situation: Early in the 20th century, Uruguay became a Left Hand Traffic (LHT) country. On September 9, 1945, Uruguay joined several other South American countries and switched to RHT. This change didn’t happen overnight. For safety reasons, Uruguay’s government wisely lowered the speed limit to 30 km/h (19 mph) for about 3 weeks. Finally, on September 30, 1945, Uruguay went full-speed ahead with the new driving scheme! 

Some countries, however, didn’t trust its constituency like Uruguay did. Argentina, for example, slowed down traffic for over 1 year while transitioning to the new system.

Imagine the chaos if the U.S. decided to make a RHT to LHT conversion today? You’d have the old drivers with their LHD cars vs. inexperienced newbies driving RHD cars (while talking on cell phones). I suspect that transition would take more than three weeks!

Wow!

I visited a close friend and client on St. John in the USVI a few years ago. He picked me up at the airport in his LHD Escalade, and we drove on the left side of the road, as apparently, the Virgin Islands are LHT. It was unnerving to me, to say the least, but my friend simply said, "no worries...you get used to it!"

Thanks for the additional info about South American countries and their switch. I truly had no idea.

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

Sweden switched one morning in 1967. I hear it was chaos.

OMG! I can't imagine what would happen in a major metropolis with such a switch. New York? Washington, DC? Boston? <gulp> Los Angeles?

• Haha 1