Buick 1940 .Change a flat tire ....

daniel boeve

Today i did get my christmas present : 1940 Buick owners manual ..I looked how they changed a flat tire in 1940 .Several tools to do that .Grab the wheel rim , lift it and then another tool to support the brake drum and then you could remove the wheel and then the other way around .I don't have any of the tools in my car and i wonder if anybody ever used those tools .Very dangerous if you ask me .I think the tool to support the brake drum is the same that holds the spare wheel in the trunk .I'm missing that also .I would like to buy that support if I can .

If you buy an original 1940 Buick jack and jack stands, please use them for display only. If I recall correctly, the 1940 Buick jack has often been described as the most dangerous Jack ever sold. The 1937 Jack was no great prize. The 1938 one was totall different and quite unsafe too, but not quite as dangerous as the 1940 one was. I am not sure about the 1939 one. Buick apparently kept redesigning their Jacks and I guess they eventually found a design that was safe to use, but I have no idea what year they finally achieved that.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

If you buy an original 1940 Buick jack and jack stands, please use them for display only. If I recall correctly, the 1940 Buick jack has often been described as the most dangerous Jack ever sold. The 1937 Jack was no great prize. The 1938 one was totall different and quite unsafe too, but not quite as dangerous as the 1940 one was. I am not sure about the 1939 one. Buick apparently kept redesigning their Jacks and I guess they eventually found a design that was safe to use, but I have no idea what year they finally achieved that.  

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I guess I will have a hard time to find those jacks  and second i have no intention to use those jacks if i ever have them .But I am glad that other people also know how dangerous it can be to change a flat tire .

I thought most people used bumper jacks in those days. My father when I was a kid acted like bumper jacks were the standard thing. I never saw a scissor jack until the 1960s and we thought it was a weird European thing. But I never heard of anybody jacking up a car by the brake drum, that's nuts.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:24 AM, Morgan Wright said:

I thought most people used bumper jacks in those days. My father when I was a kid acted like bumper jacks were the standard thing.

Here's an old ad from 1935...  "Standup" bumper jack

IMG_7333.jpg.6f80afdc2b96554798b8d36122e4b6e4.jpg

• Like 1

Dad always carried a Tripod worm-drive bumper jack in every car he owned, at least when we had REAL bumpers. Wish I had kept his, but when touring I carry an aluminum trolley jack and jack stands in case I have a chance to help someone else- 

mane the kids gave me a deWalt battery Impact with metric and SAE deep well socket sets

• Like 1