1937 Horch 853 Cabriolet Preservation Class

Can't be many like this! No price given but the mention of "nearly $200,000 in mechanical sorting by RM Auto Restoration" gives a clue! Lots more text in the ad. 

https://www.prewarcar.com/an-unrestored-horch-how-the-pride-of-saxony-made-its-home-in-america

https://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1937-horch-853-cabriolet/

The car retains all its original numbers-matching components and identification tags. It subsequently underwent considerable mechanical sorting by RM Auto Restoration resulting in close to $200,000 in receipts, copies of which are on file. All components were carefully rebuilt as-necessary, while carefully maintaining their patinaed finishes; the same treatment was even given to smaller components such as the gauges, switch gear, and wiring. A modern gear-reduction starter was fitted to enable easier starting, though the original starter is included with the car. The Horch has since been extensively detailed, with black paint applied during the war years and chrome trim still found to be intact under layers of age, the running board mats in place, and the black leather interior with ivory piping still in very presentable condition – and surprisingly comfortable, to boot! Other than the wartime repaint, only the top has been replaced, its age and patina now fully in keeping with the car’s character and charm.

401-651-2295 or email directly at tom@tomlaferriere.com 

image.png.0504219356e1395ca61e897bb5be9161.pngimage.png.7ad816756f2a74321b418593b53d8a8b.pngimage.png.0c1bc5527ac02047a160b708e9451b6a.png

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Can't be many like this! No price given but the mention of "nearly $200,000 in mechanical sorting by RM Auto Restoration" gives a clue! Lots more text in the ad. 

https://www.prewarcar.com/an-unrestored-horch-how-the-pride-of-saxony-made-its-home-in-america

https://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1937-horch-853-cabriolet/

The car retains all its original numbers-matching components and identification tags. It subsequently underwent considerable mechanical sorting by RM Auto Restoration resulting in close to $200,000 in receipts, copies of which are on file. All components were carefully rebuilt as-necessary, while carefully maintaining their patinaed finishes; the same treatment was even given to smaller components such as the gauges, switch gear, and wiring. A modern gear-reduction starter was fitted to enable easier starting, though the original starter is included with the car. The Horch has since been extensively detailed, with black paint applied during the war years and chrome trim still found to be intact under layers of age, the running board mats in place, and the black leather interior with ivory piping still in very presentable condition – and surprisingly comfortable, to boot! Other than the wartime repaint, only the top has been replaced, its age and patina now fully in keeping with the car’s character and charm.

401-651-2295 or email directly at tom@tomlaferriere.com 

image.png.0504219356e1395ca61e897bb5be9161.pngimage.png.7ad816756f2a74321b418593b53d8a8b.pngimage.png.0c1bc5527ac02047a160b708e9451b6a.png

I know that the price starts with a 4...So you will have to break open more than one savings pot .

If you know me well, you will understand why I love this car. Its unrestored presence, historical provenance and mechanical excellence makes this one of the finest surviving examples of the 8-Cylinder Horch.

Offered at $475,000 and located in Smithfield, RI. Additional photos by request. Interesting trades considered.

Tom Laferriere

401-651-2295

• Like 7

I know this car, it’s fantastic. Probably the last chance in the world to own an unrestored major German pre-war car. In my opinion much better than Mercedes. Easier to drive and enjoy. If I collected foreign cars, I would be all over it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Unbelievable that something like this is still out there.  A few restored ones are for sale in Germany. Between EUR 500.000 and 1.100.000. I saw one for sale in Cologne at the Motorworld facility a few months back.  Breathtakingly beautiful. Another one in Duesseldorf. Simply amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

It feels very european. Never heard of this car maker before

It was one of the companies that merged to form Auto Union...later became Audi. 

His name means in German "listen!". He started building cars in 1899 in Cologne-Ehrenfeld. When he left the company that had his name, he tried to get the rights back to use his own name for a new car company. He lost the court case and the son of a business associate suggested the latin word "Audi" instead with the same meaning - listen! It is the imperative form of the latin verb "audire". So he founded Audi in 1910, but already left the company in the 20s. Horch, Audi, DKW and Wanderer formed in 1932 Auto-Union. Thats why Audi's grill crest nowadays consists of 4 rings, to honor the previous companies. - Who can say from himself to have founded two car brands? What a guy.

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 1906 lozier said:

Hans1965; two men that I can think of right off hand, Ransom Eli Olds, started Oldsmobile then went on the start REO in 1904, Henry Leland started Cadillac then went on the start Lincoln

You are very much right. Thanks for adding. All exceptional people. 

• Like 1

So many fascinating histories in the long Automobile story! 

A long time ago (I was still in high school), I did join the national CCCA, before I decided to concentrate on earlier cars. During the few years I got their national magazine, they had a great article about the Horch. The cars have grabbed my attention ever since. I have never had any personal contact with one, only seen a couple in museums. So I only admire them from afar!

By the way, I took a year of German language in high school. Part of the class was learning Christmas Carols. I recall "horch" in one of the carols. Think of "hark" in English.

Everything in history, language, and culture, intersect in a million ways!

Again by the way, the "ch" in Horch is not enunciated like the "ch" in the name "Charles". Nor is it quite a solid "k" sound. It is a back of the throat scratchy "k-ch-k-ch-k" sound about halfway between the "English "ch" and "k". Very few of the kids in my class got it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

So many fascinating histories in the long Automobile story! 

A long time ago (I was still in high school), I did join the national CCCA, before I decided to concentrate on earlier cars. During the few years I got their national magazine, they had a great article about the Horch. The cars have grabbed my attention ever since. I have never had any personal contact with one, only seen a couple in museums. So I only admire them from afar!

By the way, I took a year of German language in high school. Part of the class was learning Christmas Carols. I recall "horch" in one of the carols. Think of "hark" in English.

Everything in history, language, and culture, intersect in a million ways!

Again by the way, the "ch" in Horch is not enunciated like the "ch" in the name "Charles". Nor is it quite a solid "k" sound. It is a back of the throat scratchy "k-ch-k-ch-k" sound about halfway between the "English "ch" and "k". Very few of the kids in my class got it right.

Wayne, allow me to say, I couldn't explain it any better how it is pronounced right! You are so right, everything is connected, we are just one world. 

• Thanks 1

Danke schön, Hans. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

It has been a long time since high school, and my German isn't as good as it used to be. But I always enjoy meeting German tourists here, and having a few minutes speaking with them. On a few occasions, I have even been able to help with directions for tourists that did not speak English.

We ARE one world! I get so angry when politicians and news or social media tries to divide us.  (My apologies for touching onto politics?)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Danke schön, Hans. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

It has been a long time since high school, and my German isn't as good as it used to be. But I always enjoy meeting German tourists here, and having a few minutes speaking with them. On a few occasions, I have even been able to help with directions for tourists that did not speak English.

We ARE one world! I get so angry when politicians and news or social media tries to divide us.  (My apologies for touching onto politics?)

Wayne, das freut mich sehr. You made me smile, thank you. You seem to be a real gentleman. About the devide, what did I read recently on facebook? Yes, on facebook: "The purpose of propaganda is to make one set of people forget that other sets of people are human." That says it all. No more politics... .

• Like 1