Kingpin experiences and mentorship thoughts

32buick67

My car has 54kmi and the kingpins/bushings are worn and in need of replacing.

I will be embarking on replacing the kingpins etc on my 32 Buick this winter.

This is a first for me on a prewar car, and after much research, seeking advice, searching this and other forums, I noticed a wealth of distributed info, but nothing consolidated.

My thought was to make a post where interested folks contribute their thoughts, experiences, mentoring advice, successes and struggles for myself and others to learn.

I plan to try to do the work in my garage, I have a NOS kit with kingpins and bushings, etc.

I have been researching pilot reamers, modern vs vintage, adjustable vs fixed.

I think this work will be fun and satisfying and a good learning experience once I get into it.

Some pics for entertainment - 

Curious of your thoughts...

20221023_142244.jpg

20221023_142400.jpg

20231019_203912.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like you have all the right pieces for new bushings, bearings, and king pins in your axle.  I took my axle, the king pin kit, and the knuckles for my 1929 Studebaker axle to a local truck spring shop.  They pressed out the old bushings, put in the new ones, and reamed the bushings to fit the pins.  A long, piloted bushing ream is expensive for a one-time use, so a truck shop was better.  All went well except for a final detail:  the Welch expansion plugs just need a tap on the convex centers to seat them but the shop decided to stake the axle openings to retain them.  I was pissed, but it was too late - I thought they would know how to do the Welch plugs.  When I got the axle home, I did tap the plugs to thoroughly seat them.  About 25 or 50 years from now, someone else will have to deal with the staking.  

front_axle_kingpins_1929_Studebaker_President.jpg.c8ae3079ea9f294d9fb0ce1e96a507f6.jpg

King pin kit with axle.

studebaker_1929_President_knuckle.jpg.d5761f603c14a79042ed2a05923e4e26.jpg

Knuckle assembled on axle.

• Like 5

I have no experience with Prewar vehicles

But I had knowledge with late 40's, 50's, and 60's king pins

I had a 1959 Chevy pick up with frozen king pins, yes frozen and I purchased a Snap-On king pin press #CG-220A still was not easy but I was able to remove the frozen king pins with the press at home, then took the spindles to a machine shop to have the bushings replaced and reamed, all worked out great and truck steering like a dream, I still have the press today.

I will attach a photo from "WorthPoint" to show what the press looks like.

Bob

IMG_8533.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think what you are asking is some help/advice on how to do this. First you need to let us know where you are. I would be happy to help but it is obvious you are not in socal. Everybody is real busy in their lives but a lot of people, like me are getting into things that you can not find on youtube. Hopefully someone can step up and help you.

I just did this job on a 1956 Chrysler 300B.

Not an easy job to do correctly unless you have the bushing press tooling and know how to use both styles of reamers. Fitting of the pins to bushings needs to done precisely for a long lasting job.

As for the top/bottom expansion plugs..yes they need to be driven down only enough to fully expand them and lock them firmly in place.

If they are not set tight the grease gun will easily pop them loose. Have seen that way too many times.

Chrysler Corp. stakes their plugs in either three or four places very firmly as do I when doing these jobs.

Other manufacturers do this staking too. Look for stakeing indentations.

This 32 Buick is a Reverse Elliot type axle so I too recommend have a shop press and fit the bushings to the new pins.

The owner owner needs to remove the two steering knuckles which have the bushings in them ......this requires removing the top plug and king pin retaining bolt and or steering arm. Then useing a heavy drift and or the above Snap-On press tool to force the pins down and out. They usually are a tight fit in the I beams or steering knuckles if the Elliott type.

Once the steering knuckles are removed take them with the king pins and bushings to a shop able to do the bushing press and bushing hone.

Up and down steering knuckle to I beam play is adjusted usually by shims on top of the thrust bearings.

Deburring of the knuckles needs to be done if necessary...especially if the pin end plugs/caps were staked.

• Like 2

My 1908 Model F Buick kingpin holes in the axle were "egged out, but the kingpins were OK..  Standard bushings wouldn't fit in the egg-shaped holes.  I had to remove the entire axle and had a machinist friend machined the holes round.  Then we made new bushings to fit the axle holes & kingpins to complete the job.  

• Like 6

I won't tell you how a friend's brother used my hydraulic press one day to fit the king pins in his 63 Ford pickup front axle.....😱  Hey, that was 40 years ago and I watched in amazement, against my objections, that it actually worked....somewhat....  Passed state safety inspection, that's all he cared about!😃  🪡🏎️  🦃

• Like 1

Years ago , the kingpins in my early 60's GMC step van were very stiff, almost frozen, and wouldn't accept grease. I drove it from upstate NY to the west coast and back, avoiding 90 degree turns. Finally, in West Virginia, I pounded out the pins on a wood stump using a sledge hammer, put them back in with grease and then I could steer.

It's amazing what you can do if you have no experience, no advice, and low enough standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Surprisingly, I am kind of looking forward to digging into this winter work, and so far, the idea of kingpin replacements sure beats my other upcoming project which involves replacing the failed clutch pilot bearing, again, oof.

My 32 Buick doesn't appear to have been abused, or in an accident, thankfully. 

I think this is likely just a worn-out scenario, so hopefully after I pop off the top dust caps and drift out the hardware and clean things up, this just becomes an interesting, patient and meticulous experience.

This 1931 Buick drawing shows the Reverse Elliot design, bearing on the bottom.

image.png.087ebeb50c5bfbae63f78d1291d805e4.png

• 2 months later...

This was fun wrenching for me, turns out the I beam axle was in great shape, thankful for that.

The kingpins were unremarkably worn, just in need of replacing due to mileage age, nothing ominous with the base parts.

I installed the bronze bushings and pilot reamed them and am very appreciative and happy with the results, can't wait to drive this summer!

20240120_121925.jpg

20240121_141613.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been looking at the procedure people place on utube on replacing king pin bushings and they say you need to ream the bushings .

To what size , the king pin size? 
Im new to this.

20 minutes ago, Joao46 said:

I’ve been looking at the procedure people place on utube on replacing king pin bushings and they say you need to ream the bushings .

Im new to this.

Your shop manual should have a reamer specification. 

11 hours ago, Joao46 said:

Im new to this.

For those working with old stuff and pre-spec -

The idea is to sneak up the reaming on the pin fit by trial.

My kingpins are 7/8" OD, so I used the smaller pilot reamer and worked up toward the max range of the reamer tool.

First, loosely dry fit the adjustable pilot reamers in the raw bushings and then increase the OD of the reamer to shave just a bit off the bushing ID.

Test fit the pin by hand, and repeat until you can dry insert the pin by hand with low-moderate hand twisting force, no tapping with a mallet allowed.

Do the top and bottom bushings with the same pilot reamer setting in the reverse elliot setup - this method is a pain to keep clearing chips and flipping the hub in the vice, but it was worth it for keeping the bushing bores nicely aligned.

Sounds like a long procedure, but it actually took less than an hour to ream all four bushings and test fit on the yokes.

When installing the kingpins into the bushings and yoke on the vehicle, if you need to apply more than light tapping of a mallet, then the setup is too tight and you need to likely ream the bushings just a bit more, or the yoke is not true and needs to be inspected and possibly re-machined.

Be hyper-diligent when lightly reaming and making bronze shavings - clean them from the surfaces before checking pin fit and incrementing reaming steps.

Use much air to blow away chips and brake cleaner to keep dry.  

Little chips can make things out-of-round or cause misreading of the fitup.

Don't use any lube, be sure things are dry for these steps, lube makes things artificially sticky and tight.

Don't forget to either align the grease fitting holes to the ports in the bushings, or don't forget to drill the grease fitting ports into the bushings before reaming if the bushings are blanks.

Oh, and I am learning that modern pilot reamers might not be as good as the old stuff because the modern reamers are being reported to have peculiar tapers and aren't parallel.

I have an old pilot reamer set, which is parallel and true, so be sure to take caution with modern pilot reamers, or maybe check out ebay for old-school pilot reamers which might be more trustworthy to make a nice ID.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found the original 1931 Buick engineering-manufacturing info to be invaluable, thank you Tom!

Note the 0.001" bushing clearance, and "light drive fit" of the pin, and 12 pounds of pull on the arm per Buick manufacturing specs.

image.png.65ae3b518b6fe42cacd8b28a56b95aad.png

image.png.1545dcd679cf643bc408975e767d4e04.png

image.png.92ce747e67c0f3e2c133baa38f701fbf.png

image.png.3477755bfb4a30691948a2c9f6a61c63.png

image.png

• Like 1