1949 Cadillac Coupe - $19,000

Original owner's family...condition doesn't say much for them! 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/valley-springs-1949-cadillac-coupe/7683437153.html

The 1st Motor Trend Car of the Year. This Caddy has never left the family and has always been garaged. Seat covers have given up, but the seat cushions are still good. Motor rebuilt with only a few hundred miles on it, but it is not starting now. Fuel or Starter issue. My great Aunt ordered all the extras; windshield visor, spot light, heated seats.  email: 18784f9ae32333049aea51b0ab33b148@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.56e68e14910f0eb654c85e1b7830552c.pngimage.png.5c0cad7fb6e61da710d3f3a2d5fb3c5e.pngimage.png.2d9a1fc0b7f2513abf2b1b67ddad2496.pngimage.png.24d598b1f0f950bd7c5604b8f1ee6d3c.pngimage.png.fef7ecdc734026268752e9ba2cd1dd3f.pngimage.png.37e8779733151dde1fcbb5d43808f560.pngimage.png.5589b7ed429c0f58637dafb1b607c582.pngimage.png.afa94e43ec9a20c10ceb8e5b3f16d333.png

• Like 2

Looks like trash, but IMO this is the most desirable car on the planet. There are other cars with similar style, such as the Buick Roadmaster of 1949. The Roadmaster is a beautiful car, but the '49 Cadillac is THE car. I don't know if this one is worth 19K, but if you put 60K into this car, it would be worth every penny of 80K. You can't say that about to many other cars. 

• Like 3

I like these GM fastbacks from 1949.  The Buick IMHO is the best looking.  However as stated by 'kingrudy' above the Caddy's bring the most money! From the stupidly shot pictures I can see this one needs quite a bit work.  It might have been in the same family for years but they certainly didn't take care of it all too well.  If I were looking to buy it I would beat the seller up on price and see if I could get it for less than 15.  If it looks haggard on the outside it's probably worse on the inside! GLWTS

Motor rebuilt? Like, 1960? It still has a black CA license plate, so it might've been sitting since the '60's.

Looks like there might be good fabric under the seat covers.

They offered heated seats in 1949?

Valley Springs is dry and hot, so any rust is likely only surface.

I'm with deac about the '49 Buicks, but it is a desirable car.

2 hours ago, 7th Son said:

For the 25 and younger generation, GLWTS means "Good luck with this s**t".

Ask your grandkids 😉... (For us old prudes, it's been cleaned up)

For the most part these AACA threads have been clean and quite respectful.  Hope the potty mouthed younger generation you refer to are able to keep their street slang to a minimum.  

I dont know, but every single piece of chrome needs to be replated on the car. Big money! 

It is only a Series 61, not 62.

Seats are for sure incorrect. 

Surface rust on the frame or floors, okay, but here it is everywhere. No fun.

They can tell my grandma it was always garaged. It is obvious it wasn't. 

Engine redone and then it looks like this? 

I give them credit for the fact that it looks rather complete. Air cleaner might be under the garbage.

Here there is not one alarm bell, there are millions. 

The red 48 Ser 62 coupe I am in now for 10 grand, although partly dismantled, is the far better deal. Value the same as the 49s. 

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Go ahead and beat me up, you nay-sayers, but I think the car is worth the asking price or very close to it. I don't see any dents; I don't see any rust-out; I don't see any missing trim; I believe that is the original upholstery underneath the seat cover; I see a perfect ivory steering wheel and shift lever knob (have you priced those lately?); I see good glass; I don't see a headliner drooping down; I see four correct width whitewall tires and all of them are aired up, and I don't think it would take much to get this car running.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Go ahead and beat me up, you nay-sayers, but I think the car is worth the asking price or very close to it. I don't see any dents; I don't see any rust-out; I don't see any missing trim; I believe that is the original upholstery underneath the seat cover; I see a perfect ivory steering wheel and shift lever knob (have you priced those lately?); I see good glass; I don't see a headliner drooping down; I see four correct width whitewall tires and all of them are aired up, and I don't think it would take much to get this car running.

Okay I think we need to get a baseline of what we want this car to be, a basic runner/driver, an above average driver or good quality driver or perhaps a mid to high quality restoration. So I am going to go with a decent driver because I like to drive my cars.  Pete you do bring up up some good points on the car.  However I will bet you that it's going to need the following and probably more: brakes all the way around with a master cylinder, fuel system which includes the tank cleaned out, a fuel pump rebuild,  troubleshoot the engine and hope that it's not something major.  The front and rear bumpers including the grill need to be redone.  The paint is a crap shoot and unless you completely repaint it, it will take a lot of time to bring the existing paint back and it will still show the major blemishes.  I will assume the trans and rear end are okay and would only need the fluids replaced. And then you're left with; Does it overheat, do the gauges and the horn work, what is the condition of the wiring, are there fluid leaks, do the shocks leak.  I could go on and on, but as I mentioned in my previous comment " If it looks haggard on the outside it's probably worse on the inside!" If you want a project that is going to be a labor of love buy it.  If you want a "get it running type driver" maybe this is not the car for you.

50 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Edited by deac (see edit history)

Cadillac offered a seat heater with leather upholstery on 1966-1969 models, but it didn't sell very well.  Whomever is selling it probably doesn't know much about the car and confused heated seats with an underseat heater, an option on many GM cars during that time period.

Edited by Jim Skelly
underscore added (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1