For Sale: 1968 Mercury Cougar, 302, 3-speed manual, 33K miles - $16,500 - South Lyon, MI - Not Mine -This posting has been deleted by its author. 11-4-2023.

For Sale: 1968 Mercury Cougar, 302, 3-speed manual, 33K miles - $16,500 - South Lyon, MI - This posting has been deleted by its author. 11-4-2023.

1968 mercury cougar for sale by owner - South Lyon, MI - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1968 Cougar 302, Bucket seats, 3-speed manual, 33k miles. Runs and drives excellent. Shows well. Very nice muscle car. 21-year ownership.
Contact: Call me with questions. (248) two-four-five-3-6-5-six
Copy and paste in your email: 877df3c1d7433395930201afd2d56965@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1968 Mercury Cougar.

'68 cougar MI a.jpg

'68 cougar MI b.jpg

'68 cougar MI c.jpg

'68 cougar MI d.jpg

'68 cougar MI e.jpg

'68 cougar MI f.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
This posting has been deleted by its author. Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like the early Cougars and this is one those!  However this is not an XR-7model.  The steering wheel looks a bit haggard and there is no console. Though those hub caps may or may no be standard issue from Mercury but they would have to go.  But the fun here lies is the drivetrain; a 302ci with a 3spd manual.  Kind of cool to look at but I would want an XR-7!  GLWTS

1 hour ago, deac said:

However this is not an XR-7model.

Absolutely not.   This is the entry level, loss leader, rarely seen poverty model.  A zero option example, no power steering or brakes.

Looks like the radio (maybe whitewalls?) was the only option.  

• Like 1

Those are 80s Cougar wire wheelcovers. They didn't do much for those cars either.

I have a buddy into Cougars.

In 1997 he found a 67 GT, low-option 390 3-speed and brought it home. Nice, well-sorted Cat. One of about 125 produced according to his research.

The first cruise night he took it to, the local knuckleheads set in on him. "You gotta put a four-speed in that car! A car like that needs a four-speed! Car like that without a four-speed ain't natural!"

They stayed on him for two years. He finally found a date-coded top-loader and put it in over winter. He did save the three-speed.

I let my opinion be known, kinda loudly. The knuckleheads avoid me to this day. I call them the cat butchers every time I see them.

Older I get, the more I realize a lot of the so-called "car guys" around here are people who peaked in high school and never outgrew it.

• Like 6

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1968 Mercury Cougar, 302, 3-speed manual, 33K miles - $16,500 - South Lyon, MI - Not Mine -This posting has been deleted by its author. 11-4-2023.
9 hours ago, Fossil said:

As I get older the more I favor a power steering pump under the hood. 

I have to admit getting into my 57 Poncho  or my 40 Buick it takes some adjustments in my driving habits.  With manual steering I am forced to make because it's the first thing rears its head when I first start driving.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think this car would be fun with the 3-speed.  I remember driving a customer's Mustang with a 6 cylinder & 3-speed at my buddy's gas station and even that was interesting with the stick.  My GP has no power steering, so this one can't be any worse than that!  ;)

• Like 1