Just had to tell someone!

carbking

About 5 minutes ago, I finished my project of digitizing the existing prints, slides, drawings, catalog pages, manuals, etc. of the Stromberg Carburetor Company.

This has been a 19 year project.

A complete digital copy will be eventually (after I do a better job of organization) to the AACA library to replace the partial copy I sent about a year ago.

Jon

• Like 17
  • Thanks 22

A good friend of mine and fellow 18th century historian would discover some amazing new item and rush to tell his wife. She's look perplexe4d and say "why don't you tell Joe, at least he'll know what you're talking about."

This is a great addition  to our collective knowledge and I'd guess that if Carbking hadn't done it it would never have been done.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jon, 

anytime an individual dedicates countless hours (19 years) towards helping others (predominantly strangers) in any hobby or cause. It is to be acknowledged and celebrated. You’re  good about helping others and this undertaking will benefit so many.  I don’t have the experience or knowledge that many like you do, and I appreciate all the help I get from others. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Dang, Jon, I can't even get my photos digitalized.   Way ta go!

Ben

Likewise! 

I have a couple/few thousand era photos on my computer, and I can't seem to figure how to organize them! 

Your good work should stand as a well deserved tribute to you for years to come!

As a hobbyist, I thank you.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Jon,  congratulations.  This is quite an accomplishment.  Thank you for your dedication to our hobby.

• Like 1

Think I will take a break before starting the next project.

Kingston and Stromberg are finished as to the digitizing. Still need to do a wee bit of organization on the Stromberg material. I am not sure it is possible to organize the Kingston stuff. 

Kingston digitationwas fairly easy, only 2200 documents.

Stromberg was 49,000 documents.

Still have 3 more projects that I will probably not live long enough to complete! Averaged about 2500 Stromberg documents per year. The Carter stuff is significantly more time-consuming.

I have the existing Carter drawing archives which on on aperature cards. The title to the card (drawing) is punched in the aperature card, so the aperature cards must be processed individually. About 8000 aperature cards.

I have the complete Carter Carburetor School slide library - 2700 slides. Again, the slide number is printed on the cardboard holder, not physically on the visible slide.

And the final project has nothing to do with carburetors - this would be the GM super 9 filmloops (I only have Pontiac) from 1972~1985 that were used in the showroom to allow the customer to learn more about a new car the customer was interested in purchasing. I finally found (and purchased) the special equipment to play the super 8 filmloops and their optical soundtracks; but the filmloop cartridges must be disassembled and the tape rolled off on the normal movie reel before they can be converted. There are about 250 of these.

I do this in the evening at home; much more interesting than most of the TV programming currently available.

Jon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Very cool. Thanks for all your efforts and sharing your vast knowledge Jon. You and your efforts are appreciated. 🙂 🏆 I understand the TV thing. The wife and I have been watching silent flicks with Buster Keeton, Fatty Arbuckle, and Charlie Chaplin lately and totally avoiding main stream trashy TV lately. Guys like Archie Bunker in All in the Family would be thrown off the TV today for his comedy.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)