Chevy Chevette - $6,000 (Spokane WA)

(You may never find another one at this price!)

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/otis-orchards-chevy-chevette/7659679740.html

Very clean original Chevette! No rust,Low mileage 98xxx miles not rolled over! These are getting very hard to find and you can't go anywhere without drawing a crowd. Call Dan at 509 994-6329.

00r0r_2DwHMnBJRfD_0bC0ne_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_gWjQkJlID5U_0bC0ne_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_eMOvxS7vNRm_0bC0ne_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_4cQL6qrQuTA_0bC0ne_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_ULJVvIHMmT_0bC0ne_1200x900.jpg

Hm. Chevette MSRP never hit $6000 brand new in any of the 12 years they were built. I'd call $6k with 98000 miles a good ROI!

Wikipedia shows almost 2.8 million Chevettes were produced. Sure, they were toads, but they weren't terrible cars. There were dozens of them in powerplant parking lot. There was also a Renault LeCar, when it was running...

In the LeCar's defense, no one locally knew how to service it and its owner probably messed up more than he fixed. The Chevy dealer OTOH sold plenty of Chevettes, and most anybody could work on them.

On 8/28/2023 at 11:45 AM, rocketraider said:

Sure, they were toads, but they weren't terrible cars.

A man I know (deceased just this year) bought a new one

in 1980, and drove it as his regular car for 19 years!

The interesting thing is that he was very well-off and

could have afforded much more.  He lived in a 17-bedroom

house on 500 acres, yet drove a 19-year-old Chevette.

I appreciate modesty.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The interesting this is that he was very well-off and

I appreciate modesty.

Smart man.

Ben

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Smart man.

"Why buy a new car when the old one still works?"

he said to me.  Here's a picture of his house.  In the

second picture, he is the man on the left--around

age 97 at the time, still active, still driving, still going

to the office for a half day every weekday:

Visit with Irenee du Pont 2016 (16) - Copy.JPG

Visit with Irenee du Pont 2016 (24).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

We had a '80 Chevette. I can't say it was a bomb, but it wasn't great by any means. My wife drove it for the most part. I guess I'd call it a "disposable car." We sold it about 85K miles. The next day, the buyer called me irate. Something had malfunctioned, and the car broke down. I apologized, told him I had no idea there was anything wrong, offered my apologies and wished him good luck getting it fixed. 

• Like 1

I remember back about 1980 when the international rally championship had North American events, there was a Chevette with a Lotus twin cam engine. I bet it was quite a hand full on dirt or icy roads...can't be much weight in back. 

A girl I dated had one, probably her first car. Compared to all the bombs she owned afterwards, it may very well have been the best of the bunch! Well into the 90s there was a local garage called "The Chevette Shop" that specialized in them.

On 8/28/2023 at 9:56 AM, Leif in Calif said:

The other "motto" expressed by many was: "You can hear them rusting in the showroom"

• Haha 2

Our family had one.  4 speed.  My dad drove it to work. I learned to drive a stick shift in this car.  She was not quick. Turn on the AC and she was even slower.  

My father loathed his Chevette. One day we stopped at the store. We both got out and I noticed my dad left the key in the ignition. I pointed this out to my dad. He said, "I hoping someone will steal it". Walked into the store.  There is more to the story of my father's Chevette but I'll save that for a rainy day. 

• Haha 1

I love seeing Chevettes. They only rarely show up on ebay. Most were discarded after the first couple of owners, I think.

My sister bought a Chevette new in 1980. I went along with her to the dealership. The guy who sold it to her was probably about 60, and he was the last car salesman I ever saw who wore a plaid jacket. 😄 A couple years after she bought it, the oil light went on while she was driving to work, but she ignored it because she was late for a meeting. 😬 Engine was ruined, but they replaced it for free because a mechanic hadn't put the oil filter on correctly during a change, causing the oil to leak out. She was fortunate.

I know I've told this before, but because of this listing, I'll tell it again.  My dad (famous for being able to squeeze a nickel) bought a chevette, I think 1979? (The "high performance rally 1.6, white accent racing stripe below the beltline.   😉 ).  He was the school superintendent in our town.  My sister and I pointed out often that first year teachers had cooler cars (Monte Carlo, Lemans, Torino, etc....).  Dad bought it because it was cheap and got good gas mileage.  He took good care of it, in high school I must have taught 20 friends to drive a stick shift in it.  In August of 1983, I headed off to Wabash College about 75 miles from our home.  Dad said "I'm going to give you this chevette, it will be a good college car for you".  I loaded it up (hatchback's are practical for college kids) and headed to college.  He had babied it and it had maybe 35K miles on it.  As chevette's go, it was nicer than most.  My dad gave me the paperwork in the glove box, Insurance registration, service paperwork.........and the title.  Important fact, both my dad and I are John Bloom......which was the name on the title.  About the third weekend at college I spotted a slightly tired, resale red painted Porsche 914 on a used car lot off campus..........Imagine my father's surprise when came home for fall break in style, a sophisticated 18year old, brilliant and wise after 7-8 weeks of higher education, in the practical ride a 914 was.  I have a picture somewhere of my dad meeting me in the driveway when I rolled back home.  One of many times he should have killed me but didn't.....

Chevy Chevette, it'll drive you happy......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/28/2023 at 12:51 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The interesting thing is that he was very well-off and

I appreciate modesty.

We had a car dealer in Massachusetts who started out with a small lot and ended up with a string of dealerships, owned a bank, good sized insurance company, etc.   Worth 100 million back when that was real money (this was at least 20 years ago).     I was coming out of  bank one day (a branch of his bank) and he climbed out of a brand new Ford Focus.   The suit he was wearing was probably worth more than the car.   His dealership logo was on the back.  

focus1.webp.d39d081870a9f24aaa9e80a81b798c90.webp

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I love seeing Chevettes. They only rarely show up on ebay.

There was a Chevette at Hershey at least once.

It may have been 10 years ago.  The Chevette was

a coupe with the wood-grain side paneling, and it

was in like-new condition.  I looked at it as interestedly

as I would look at a much more expensive car.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

We had a car dealer in Massachusetts who started out with a small lot and ended up with a string of dealerships, owned a bank, good sized insurance company, etc.   Worth 100 million back when that was real money (this was at least 20 years ago).     I was coming out of  bank one day (a branch of his bank) and he climbed out of a brand new Ford Focus.   The suit he was wearing was probably worth more than the car.   His dealership logo was on the back.  

focus1.webp.d39d081870a9f24aaa9e80a81b798c90.webp

I like guys/gals who “have a lot of oil”, but don’t feel compelled to show the world.  

it reminds me a lot of some farm families I grew up with.  

• Like 2