For Sale: 1937 Cord Armchair Beverly - Project - $27,500 - Vienna, VA - Not Mine - SOLD!!!! 9-7-2023

For Sale: 1937 Cord Armchair Beverly - Project - $27,500 - Vienna, VA  SOLD!!!! 9-7-2023

'37 Cord Armchair Beverly - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

This is a complete, solid, original numbers matching unrestored Cord with transmission reliability upgrades, original vacuum-electric shift, 125" wheelbase. Currently stored, engine turns. ACD Club certified, Category 1 certificate # C354. Painted years ago, Cape Ivory #2, a '55 Cadillac color. Titled in my name. This was my college car back in the dark ages...! Picture of me in car was taken on 9th. St. with the Auburn Hotel in the background on 9th St in 2002. Asking $27,500. odometer: 77471
Contact: Dave Henderson, (703) nine-3-8-8-9-5-four, Pease call to my land line. No texting.
Copy and paste in your email:  85bee27f980d32e2a33ffdbfd656d7fc@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Cord Armchair Beverly - Project.

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA a.jpg

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA b.jpg

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA c.jpg

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA d.jpg

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA e.jpg

''37 Cord Armchair Beverly VA f.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
SOLD!!!! 9-7-2023: Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Is that a Falcon Sprint next to it?

It looks more Galaxy like.  Because of the mirror I’m going to guess 1963-4. Mercury….. 🤔

Very rare care……I think only about 12-15 were produced. If I was 20 years younger, I’d pounce on the sale of this car. I owned a rough one about 25 years ago that came out of a junk yard in buffalo New York, sold it to royalty in Great Britain who had the car fully restored and who then sold it back to a ACD club member in Beverly Hills.

The other car being asked about is a '64 Comet Caliente hardtop coupe.  
With regard to the designer of the L29 Cord, John Oswald, body engineer, was long given credit by automotive historians.  In the '70's a friend and co worker who knew I owned a Cord made a chance comment that a relative of his wife was the widow of Al Leamy, who claimed that he had designed the L29.  I was stunned.  A meeting with her was arranged, I was very impressed that she had kept in perfect condition all of Al's drawings, including his design patents, over many decades.  Initially the ACD Club rejected her claim.  I wrote an article that appeared in the AACA's April-May 1974 Antique Automobile magazine entitled Al Leamy Classic Stylist.  Eventually the notion that Al Leamy deserved the credit began catching on, including acknowledgement by noted author Beverly Rae Kimes among others.  Mrs. Leamy was eventually bestowed an Honorary Membership, joining the ranks of such notables as Gordon M. Buehrig, E. L. Cord, J. Herbert Newport, and C. W. Van Ranst.   The priceless original design drawings were donated to the ACD Museum.   
Had that chance conversation I had with my friend not occurred, Mr. Leamy might not have ever received the credit due him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

On 7/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, alsancle said:

Dave needs to include interior shots of the arm chair feature.  This is a very cool thing and needs to be emphasized.

One of my favorite cars of my youth was an arm chair divider Beverley that I saw almost 50 years ago at the ACD reunion.

Al,
The front center arm was converted to a folding arm in a professional manner, probably by the dealer, stuck with an unsold car.  The rear center armrest at some time was removed neatly, leaving the appearance that none was ever there.  I have a duplicate armrest from another Cord that could be installed for authenticity if desired.  It probably was because of the impractical center  armrest being in place that the car was unsold at the end of the '36 model year and subsequently renumbered and identified as a '37 by the Auburn Automobile Company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

Al,
The front center arm was converted to a folding arm in a professional manner, probably by the dealer, stuck with an unsold car.  The rear center armrest at some time was removed neatly, leaving the appearance that none was ever there.  I have a duplicate armrest from another Cord that could be installed for authenticity if desired.  It probably was because of the impractical center  armrest being in place that the car was unsold at the end of the '36 model year and subsequently renumbered and identified as a '37 by the Auburn Automobile Company.

I understand why the dealer would remove it.  What is cool to a collector might not be the greatest idea for an every day driver.   Does the back also have the feature?

What we now regard as the ultimate sporting luxury interior feature, the four individual 'bucket' seats created with stationary center armrests, weren't as appreciated by the general public in the 1930's.   It is curious that Cord owners wouldn't embrace such an exclusive feature.  The idea of four bucket seat interiors would finally gain currency in the latter 1950's through the 1960's.  But progressive designers such as Gordon Buehrig were leading the way.

• Like 1

My Cord is indeed an Armchair Beverly.   While at the ACD Reunion in 2002 it went through the certification process and received certification certificate no. 732813542 which described it as a 1937 Cord Model 812, Arm Chair Beverly.  The description was further explained elsewhere in the certification booklet as follows; "Originally a rare model 810 Arm Chair Beverly, factory re-numbered as an 812 model".  The booklet cover itself describes it as 1936 model 810/812, Lycoming V8, Arm Chair Beverly".  Confused? 

MVC-006F.JPG

Edited by Dave Henderson
further clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting aspect in the history of this Cord is that the original owner, Col. Herb Gardner, made trips in it to Oak Island, Nova Scotia where pirate treasure is said to have been buried centuries ago.  Legend has it that "seven must die" before it is found, and regrettably six actually have.  The History Channel had a series entitled "The Curse of Oak Island" about it.  (I've searched the remote crannies of the trunk to no avail, no gold found....) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Cord Armchair Beverly - Project - $27,500 - Vienna, VA - Not Mine - SOLD!!!! 9-7-2023