We just bought a 1929 White Model 60, how do we start it!!

Pat Hearn

Hi all!  My boss got busy at the auction and bought a 1929 White Model 60, 1 ton. I need to pick it up from the auction and don’t even know how to start and drive this old girl. I will be loading it onto my flat deck tilt trailer and would like to drive it but have no idea how it all works.  I can’t imagine it’s too difficult but it never hurts to ask an experienced group!! Thanks for your help folks!C965A7F4-96F0-4875-B205-6D81FA4F7E2A.jpeg.3f26b225bd09895680cbaad612ffc2f5.jpegC30FED78-0A33-49DC-BA07-1BF6AC8FEB6A.jpeg.c45e6e002523bce9cd1dfab60e895711.jpeg14E63F0D-C4DA-4B1A-A02E-20DA5719AC1B.jpeg.a5edf3d3dd4df532d35cb14a4074a673.jpegC377E159-1ED3-4CD6-A691-FEF8FBAF6C0B.jpeg.b880ce4af9a97fb3436ad191bed36a18.jpegAEA32879-2456-40FC-B5A5-7CF77F053D5B.jpeg.f240050cc3b10b68d34e0e5c6edda660.jpeg

CE178612-058F-4B69-A302-C48761B86633.jpeg

FB286C45-E9C1-4ACC-A4C8-17840C050C6A.jpeg

There is a valve under the vacuum tank. Be sure it is on or you will get no gas to the carburetor. It is in the off position in the photo. Retard the spark. That is a pull knob on the dash. Advance after it starts. Give it some choke. Agree that that floor button is for the starter. Sometimes a main disconnect switch has been added to the system to keep the battery from draining down. If the starter does not turn look for one. Be sure the ignition switch is on. Looks like it should run without much trouble. May the new owner get many happy and trouble free miles out of this old truck. 😀

• Like 5

When was it last driven?  If you don't know,drain the oil,remove and clean the oil pan.

The vacuum tank will need to be primed before starting it or a temporary fuel supply will have to be made up.

The button marked spark needs to be pulled out when starting it otherwise it will backfire.

It has an updraft carburetor so it may require full choke to start it.

The transmission is unsynchronised so double clutching will be required particularly  when downshifting.

Nice looking truck.  Have fun with it.

• Like 1

Not sure the vacuum fuel pump is setup correctly. the yellow filter on top needs to be connected to a fuel source. I suspect they had a gas can on the running board or just inside the cab for running but not driving down the road. Also, the other two lines on the top of the vacuum tank, one is for engine vacuum to operate the pump and the other is for a vent, not sure why, what looks to be the vent, is connected to the carburetor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbeach said:

Not sure the vacuum fuel pump is setup correctly. the yellow filter on top needs to be connected to a fuel source. I suspect they had a gas can on the running board or just inside the cab for running but not driving down the road. Also, the other two lines on the top of the vacuum tank, one is for engine vacuum to operate the pump and the other is for a vent, not sure why, what looks to be the vent, is connected to the carburetor. 

I was thinking a similar thought with the external fuel source being plugged into the yellow fitting. I’m assuming that the Vaccum pump should pull fuel from the external source as longs as the external source is vented and the pick up stays submerged? The vacuum source should be somewhere on the manifold shouldn’t it? 

If its parked up for some time the vacuum tank could be empty and it wont start. When I got my 27 Chrysler earlier this year a friend of the owner (who died a couple of years before) needed to undo the top fittings on the vacuum tank and pour about 1 pint of fuel very slowly through the small fitting to top up the vacuum tank before the car would start.

When I saw your fitting I thought somebody had designed a way to refill the vacuum tank easily if it has been parked up or drained. 

They had a temporary fuel supply. 

Agree, don't start it till the pan has been dropped and cleaned. Given the setup for the fuel supply my guess is it wasn't run very long or often thus even more reason to drop the pan.

T

If the seller claims it has run recently, follow Dandy Dave's instructions above.  If it has not run recently, follow Old Car Fan's first post.

Then when it gets home, running or not, do all the other suggestions.   Then keep us posted.  GOOD LUCK

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling corrections (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

If the seller claims it has run recently, follow Dandy Dave's instructions above.  If it has not run recently, follow Old Car Fan's first post.

Then when it gets home, running or not, do all the other suggestions.   Then keep us posted.  GOOD LUCK

Totally agree. I did not see the disconnected fuel line. I run my 1925 White off of a portable boat motor tank. Always fresh gas no matter how long it has sat.