Can take more photos of frame

CountryGirl36

On 6/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, CountryGirl36 said:

@TOM H. S.ive been letting the rain do all the washing for me. 

@Gunsmoke😂 definitely an explosion of the parts 

gonna need more than just my boyfriend and I for the frame to be flipped. I can’t wait to get that done. 
I keep forgetting how big cars were back then. I thought it was a truck frame at first. But then I remembered how big a 36 packard was and it is quite roomy. So now I understand the length and all that. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their day. 

Use a come-a-long and some chain. Attach one end to a solid piece of the frame, the other end to a sturdy tree limb and pull away. Just don' stand under the frame while your doing it. If you were closer I'd come and help. Your a bit of a ride. I'm just on the NY side of CT and Mass.

• Thanks 1

Yea,rear spare carrier arms,a hood latch visable now,those long loops on the rear frame horns I'm trying to figure out,maybe rear bumperettes. You guys sure have the humidity,out here in Wyoming we have dust,not so much rust. DFeeney asked if the thing was for sale,is it? I think he would be a real good home for it. My theory is,the best time to sell something is when somebody wants to buy it. Nobody in the neighborhood has a backhoe or tractor they can buzz in there and flip it for you? Be nice to set it up on blocks or jackstands when it is turned over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi CG36, Just noticed the Brake Linings are coming off and these may have ASBESTOS  in them, so please just be careful and don't touch with bare hands and wear a mask and gloves and try to put pieces into a plastic bag. Hope you can have permission to sell it. Best Wishes

WESTCOTT  SIX 1913.png

Edited by TOM H. S.
Adding an illustration of a 1913 Westcott (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

Yea,rear spare carrier arms,a hood latch visable now,those long loops on the rear frame horns I'm trying to figure out,maybe rear bumperettes. You guys sure have the humidity,out here in Wyoming we have dust,not so much rust. DFeeney asked if the thing was for sale,is it? I think he would be a real good home for it. My theory is,the best time to sell something is when somebody wants to buy it. Nobody in the neighborhood has a backhoe or tractor they can buzz in there and flip it for you? Be nice to set it up on blocks or jackstands when it is turned over.

@DFeeney msg me anytime I’m still digging and have to speak with my father. Usually for the right price,  anything is for sale. 

My boyfriend and his buddy are going to use some come alongs and a car jack to flip it. Just depends on their work schedules. We do have a buddy who said if he’s available he’d bring his backhoe down the road and help. Everyone have a good night!  

• Like 2

Hi CG, if it was mine, I would sacrifice the U bolts holding the rear axle, and remove spring bolt whichever easier, or even cut main sprigs to allow you to remove axle and rear  brakes, and not damage them by rolling it all over. The rear axle will weigh heaps, but easy to move with come alongs. Also if possible take care with drive shaft and those fantastic universal joints. You probably won't be able to undo them easily. Don't know how easy they are to replace? And without axle, a lot easier to move the frame as well. 

Just my thoughts, but happy to be corrected if there is an easier, safer way. Rod.

• Thanks 1

Okay everyone we got the frame flipped today. The frame/chassis is definitely bent like an ‘S’. Anything that was attached to the frame upside down, is still attached right side up. 

I’m hoping to get better photos once the weather can make up its mind. I plan to continue to dig where the frame was. See if any other parts come to the surface for me. 

IMG_7327.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

IMG_7329.jpeg

IMG_7330.jpeg

IMG_7332.jpeg

IMG_7333.jpeg

IMG_7338.jpeg

IMG_7335.jpeg

IMG_7337.jpeg

• Like 2

Well flipped CG.

Was a bit concerned, but seems it went well. 

You can't change how you found it, but you just have to be very careful with it as spare parts might not exist, or cost $$$. 

Thanks for sharing this once in a lifetime find. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After fifty plus years of buying and selling parts to support my hobby I can say one of the big problems with finding rare stuff is the fact that people might have the parts but have no idea what they are. And anyone that has Wescott parts should turn loose of them now or they will probably sell for scrap at their estate auction. Whether CG36 keeps this or passes it on to someone else,they should get an illustrated parts book and send copies to anyone that wants one. Or at least post pictures out of it of wanted parts on here. Then things would be recognized in your back yard,swapmeets,spare parts repositories and could be gathered up. This is one of the neatest posts I've seen and contributed to and it may go on for years as the thing gets built. I hope so anyway.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It looks like Westcott used Continental motors during the years of this frame, so you'd probably be looking for a 7R Red Seal. I have an oil gauge off one of these motors. I wonder how many parts could be located from this thread?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sagefinds said:

After fifty plus years of buying and selling parts to support my hobby I can say one of the big problems with finding rare stuff is the fact that people might have the parts but have no idea what they are. And anyone that has Wescott parts should turn loose of them now or they will probably sell for scrap at their estate auction. Whether CG36 keeps this or passes it on to someone else,they should get an illustrated parts book and send copies to anyone that wants one. Or at least post pictures out of it of wanted parts on here. Then things would be recognized in your back yard,swapmeets,spare parts repositories and could be gathered up. This is one of the neatest posts I've seen and contributed to and it may go on for years as the thing gets built. I hope so anyway.

@sagefinds I totally agree. I’ve always loved older vehicles. I have met peoplenwho taught me about hood ornaments, hun caps, etc…
But nothing like this. 
This website and all you great people were a tremendous help. I know what to look for at Stafford’s next swap meet. I have learned so much from just one frame I found on family property. It’s been educational and quite the adventure. Hopefully it’s not over yet. This was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. 

• Like 8

There is a 1915 Westcott touring listed in the latest Horseless Carriage Club roster in California. Generally people that have rare cars do pick up spare parts when available. He would be a good place to start. All of us in the hobby have become very leery of the scammers preying on hobbyists running Wanted ads or any other way they think they can get your money so you just have to be genuine. I can't post his info here but could PM it if a roster isn't available. HCCA membership would be a good idea anyway. And that little car event down at Hershey Pa in October would be a good one to look for stuff. Most likely anyone with Westcott parts would have them at home,not at the meet so wearing signs front and back would really help the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The numbers you noticed are likely part numbers. They identify each individual part, correlated by a parts book, whereby a owner/repair shop, could order replacement parts. Because of the rarity of the Westcott, I'm not sure you would ever find a parts book for this car. I believe the aluminum kick plates on the mud guard will finally pin down a year. It appears I was wrong about the 1915 year of the car and it now looks to be late teens to early 20s. The picture of the 23, posted above by Dr Watson, shows the kick plates, while several other pictures of other years do not show kick plates so the chassis is likely a 1923.

All this being said, it appears the Westcott was what is sometimes referred to as an assembled car, not to be confused with all cars are assembled. Westcott brought in parts from suppliers as opposed to making their own. This would make a restoration somewhat easier. The Westcott used continental 6 cylinder engines through several years and if they did in 1923, assuming this car is 23, finding a 1923 continental motor would be much easier than find a Westcott motor. Plus, some car companies used the same motor through several years. Velie used the Continental 7R motor from 1920-1922.

The chassis has a Timkin rear axle and usually the same maker supplied the front axle and wheel hubs all the way around. Unless you have found more, the chassis needs three more hubs but being they are Timkin, not impossible to find. It has been an interesting thread and an exciting ride. I know you have had a lot of fun digging all the parts out!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone 

been on the farm cleaning up around the frame.

Started poking at the dirt and tree roots that were under the frame. I’m still finding pieces here and there. So I’m not done digging yet. 

We had some serious rain the other day and it moved all my car parts about a foot from where they were. 🙄 Crazy stuff….

just wanted to show you the root system I’m working with right now. 🤪

IMG_7427.jpeg

IMG_7428.jpeg

IMG_7430.jpeg

IMG_7432.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

• Like 4

You can make a solution out of Molasses and water that will take the rust off those parts. It would take several days soaking to get all the rust off. The large parts in your last pictures are door hinges.

• Thanks 1

Still enjoying your updates CG. The presence of the "hidden" door hinges suggests car was flipped over with body most likely attached although nothing's for sure. Presence of a spark plug may also suggest car may have been partly disassembled and everything tossed in a pile. Regardless, an archeologist would have had a grid laid out and recorded exact location of everything found in order to reconstruct the scene from 80 years ago. I assume you are doing that every evening!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi CG, fantastic adventure so far. Regarding metal detecting, there are many different types of detectors. Some will find every small piece of iron/ steel, and we are talking nail sized pieces. Others function so you can cancel out iron/ steel if you wish to find say brass/ copper. The problem is the iron/ steel rust is detectable, and 'leaches' into surrounding soil giving an 'aura' like a much larger piece. This would be hard going for even an experienced detector operator. 

Your other options are to carefully dig/ rake out larger bits and see if you get to clean dirt.

Make a bottle probe, a piece of rod steel and carefully push down to see if something solid is below and then dig it up.

Or if you know someone with an electro magnet, that might easily remove small bits from dirt. 

But no easy way, particularly with the trees. 

Thanks for sharing with us. Rod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Need help with this piece. I’ve tried whatever way I know possible without damaging it. I just can’t make out the writing to research it. This was was amongst the roots recently, so I believe it goes with the car. 

so far I beieve I see “ TROY” and some smaller words written across it. “…… of character ….MFD….” ?????

Let me know if you can make anything of it please. Or the best cleaning remedy I can try would be great too. 

IMG_7484.jpeg

IMG_7487.jpeg

IMG_7488.jpeg

IMG_7489.jpeg

• Like 1

The tag reads Troy Sunshade Co. Troy Ohio.  Across the large "TROY" name it says "Windshields of Character". 

The company was founded in 1887 to make sunshades for carriages. Later on the company moved into auto parts including hubcaps and windshields. 

The Troy Sunshade Company IS STILL IN BUSINESS !!

I googled "troy company" or something and eventually found this. 

www.bagsbytroy.com    click on "about"

This thread is more exciting than Indiana Jones 5 that's out now.  When you are finished digging I hope you can lay all the parts you found out on your driveway and post a picture. 

(Actually the new Indiana Jones movie is pretty good)

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

New England weather has been non-stop crazy. Haven’t had a chance to finish my expedition with the Westcott. But I wanted to post a photo of something I found on the land where the car is. I thought it was pretty cool. From what I’ve found it’s a tripod bumper jack. 
mom just not sure in the age and what not.

hope everyone has been doing well!

IMG_7575.jpeg

• Like 4

Sure enough it is a bumper jack. I remember seeing that style back in the 1970's and the jacks had a few years on them then. Looks like it got tossed because the handle broke off. From memory It is not from any particular make but more of an off the parts, or tool supply store shelf. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...