1963 Triumph TR4, $12,000

Not mine, uninspiring color combination, has overdrive. I like these although I’ve never owned one. I think they strike a nice balance between older vintage, and a more modern driving experience.  no interior shots. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1044772419818955/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

63 TR-4 with overdrive. Been in the family and driving it for the past 42 years. Been under roof since 1981. Original condition except for painting and body work done in the late 70's. In good mechanical condition. Tach and odometer have always worked but I have a replacement speedometer, original parts, lots of manuals and literature and tools with it. I just bought a new GR86 and its time to make room. If the listing is still up, I have not received payment so don't ask if its been sold. Will only consider lower offers from someone who has seen it and driven it.
image.jpeg.f0cf9f175b4d013f849e752ec3da8f39.jpegimage.jpeg.417f329284dd69c0c6e893c330aeade4.jpegimage.jpeg.e09227debcb3a3cc071ceadf2cea3460.jpeg

image.jpeg.a74956084433bc5966af19343c6ba55f.jpeg

image.jpeg.c6e42c5205e198c37cba6334be509399.jpeg

• Like 4

I disagree with you guys on the color. To me, it's really nice seeing one of these that isn't dark green or bright red. It's pretty silly to not put any pics of the interior in the ad, though. That could mean the interior doesn't look as nice as the rest of the car.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I disagree with you guys on the color. To me, it's really nice seeing one of these that isn't dark green or bright red. It's pretty silly to not put any pics of the interior in the ad, though. That could mean the interior doesn't look as nice as the rest of the car.

James, I agree with you, in that I’m a fan of “antique white” on this era of roadsters, but a red, or saddle or blue interior makes it work well. There are no pics of the interior and the ad says it has a black interior. Not a deal breaker but this would look great with a red interior. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

but a red, or saddle or blue interior makes it work well

I also agree. For some reason, cars from the early sixties - whether English or American - looked great with white paint and a red interior. Maybe it was the clean lines that cars had back then.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, RansomEli said:

So much nicer than an MG of the same period. Good price. Too good. I must shut down my computer before I do anything stupid.

If you’ve come here for discouragement, you’ve come to the wrong place! Buy that thing and put a red interior in it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had a TR-3 for a while. Great fun in town but you could run over a dime and tell by the feel if it was heads or tails.

I finally decided it was more fun to see one driving by than to be in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Likely a live rear axle because there is no "IRS" chrome label on the trunk lid proclaiming Independent Rear Suspension-

they were available both ways.

My solid axle TR-2, TR-3 (early Small Mouth), TR-3A (a few) were all very inspired driver-quality models - both as daily commuter and as Weekend-Warrior for AutoCross / Field Trial

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Seems like it has been cared for over the years.  Anyone know/care what a "GR86" is that is replacing this old family member?  Wonder where it will be in 40 years..

A GR86 is the black car behind the TR4 in one of the photos; it's a Subaru-designed, Toyota-badged sports car.  The TR4 looks almost too good to be true for $12,000 - I can't believe it hasn't been snapped up.

• Like 1

I’m sure I will get some pushback but I’d prefer this over a similar condition TR6. I am a fan of TR6’s and think they have quite a bit of upside as others are discovering what a value they can be, but the TR4 is better looking from every angle to me and I like the dash better. 
I am not a fan of the Karmann design rear end of the tr6 body. Too flat and chopped off for me, but it wouldn’t keep me from owning one. 

id like to see some interior shots. Has anyone contacted the seller and seen the interior of this car?  

when I see an ad that doesn’t show a picture of the interior, I jump to the conclusion that they want to hide what it looks like. That may not be fair to the seller.

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 1

John, having owned a 6 and being a fan of what Karmann did to update a dated design, I really think the 4 is more vintage looking.  I would love to own a driver quality car like this one.  Or even a show quality example, still somewhat of a bargain but that is changing...

• Like 1

While we are all adding our 2 cents worth - I have owned 2 TR4's, one a very early 1962, and an IRS 1965.  I always go in on facebook marketplace and look to see what is there.  I am not looking at the restored ones, just projects. 

I "try" to like the TR6 but I just don't enough to buy one.  It's not a collection unless a person buys a couple.  In my case, in my opinion, the TR4 is the best looking, well balanced design wise.  

So, with me not considering a TR6 for the "second" car, if I buy one, I think about either an MGA, which is well styled in my opinion, or a TR3.   

The TR3 with the wide grin grille has never appealed to me.  The early TR2, same issue.  The early TR3 with the less wide grille, light recess, I like those, but they are quite rare and usually draw strong money.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

A lot of fun for a reasonable price. Not a long haul vehicle but around town a lot of enjoyment.

Ha indeed.  In the 80s my wife and I drove the TR-6 all over New England (one faillure and I was to blame for it by  pushing it despite elec warning light, alt failed, leave it home, no way ahh, youth...) Hours and hours...

These days I like doing that in the armchair like seats in the SL better to be honest...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1