A funny sight at todays car show

TAKerry

I went to a car cruise today. Not a show, but an organized get together at a nice little rest. Not quite a 100 cars, a buddy of mine organizes/host's it once a month. 2 Pontiacs mine and my friends 66 GTO.  Sorry, I will have to post pics of the next one. Not too many AACA type cars there. A super nice low mile Monte Carlo SS, couple of nice vettes, a couple of nice mopars amongst some of them. The funny sight was a couple of what looked like buddies that drove in together then left together. One was in a t bucket with a screaming motor and a 3 story blower atop the intake. It was 'faux painted' with the fake rust spots, worn through paint etc. The guy with him had an early 50's chevy pickup. Rust with sealer on the body, both were rat rods. There was one puddle of water in the parking lot and they both drove out of their way to avoid hitting it. I had a bit of chuckle that the 2 cars there that were purposely built to look junk didnt want to hit a puddle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I love fake rust on a fiberglass body rat rod! Even better is an open floor made of licence plates that has the driveshaft exposed waiting to snag some loose clothing or an misplaced hand.  You can't fix stupid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don Garlitts use to host a rat rod show at his museum in Ocala, FL.   "No Chrome, No Billit".    Some interesting stuff, for sure.    Never took my

Ratique 35 Ford Truck, but have enjoyed driving it like this for 33 years.   Got the idea from this threat to fix the hole in the bed with a rusty license plate,   i guess my leaky cooler will still drain past the licence plate.   Thanks!

IMG_29561.JPG.162b6ad45afc63e4140b9ec6f8d84608.JPG

• Like 3

If I owned Paul's '35 I'd keep it just the way it is. The way it looks in it's work clothes is perfect, like a time machine! If it was perfectly restored with shiny paint and chrome I wouldn't like it half as much. That's just me.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Or for those who can't afford paint

Yes. I fit into that category more often than not. I prefer original paint on a car even if it's faded, dull or scratchy. But it comes to a point where bare metal rust and the manufactured "patina" gets to be too much.

• Like 1

Well, not every modified or hot rod is for me.  But what I love about the car hobby is that there is room for everybody.  When I go to a cruise-in as you describe, I alway make sure to visit all the cars and talk to the owners (even the ‘fart-cans’).  As a restorer and maintainer, I usually come away with an idea or product suggestion to try in my own shop.  Cleverness knows no bounds.   I also pick up a hot rodding magazine from time to time just to see what kind of new products and techniques are out there.  You don’t have to love them all, but many of them have a good idea that can cross over into the restoration hobby.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Well, not every modified or hot rod is for me.  But what I love about the car hobby is that there is room for everybody.  When I go to a cruise-in as you describe, I alway make sure to visit all the cars and talk to the owners (even the ‘fart-cans’).  As a restorer and maintainer, I usually come away with an idea or product suggestion to try in my own shop.  Cleverness knows no bounds.   I also pick up a hot rodding magazine from time to time just to see what kind of new products and techniques are out there.  You don’t have to love them all, but many of them have a good idea that can cross over into the restoration hobby.

Agree totally.  Sure, there are some total clusters being built but there is also a wealth of information that can be garnered from some of these 'non-stock' builds.  For example, I watch regularly the postings on YouTube by 'Iron Trap Garage' in PA, who specializes in building 40's through early 60's style Ford hot rods.  While modified, they show respect for the history of the cars, both stock and modified.  I have learned more about metal shaping and fabrication from that show than perhaps any other around, skills that translate into the building or restoring of any vehicle.  Keep an open mind folks, you never know what you will learn.

• Like 1

I made a comment to my son on Sunday on our way home from the 'cruise'. We were in the minority of people looking at all of the cars. I enjoy cars of all kinds and makes to some degree. When I go to a show I will do a walk of the show field to look at everything there. It never ceases to amaze me of all the people that park their cars, then set up their chair behind it, being that is as far as they will get. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billorn said:

Maybe they have already seen all the cars. We go to a local cruise night and most of the people there are regulars who are there every week. Its the same cars every week so maybe they go to visit with friends instead.

May be. Last couple of years I have been going to the same shows. I still do a walk around, but having seen the same cars from show to show I got a bit burned out. I found I had more fun driving to them than sitting there for hours. My goal this year is to put more miles on the odometer.

• Like 1