For Sale on eBay - 1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanete

Dan O

Copied from the ad.....

This particular car has been lovingly restored to its original glory, with attention paid to every detail, from the gleaming green exterior to the plush interior. The car has been kept in excellent condition, with only minor wear and tear due to its age.

Not according to the pictures they show.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The 55er said:

A car that is in excellent running condition but not currently running. That might matter to somebody. It would definitely matter to me but then again, who knows?

He's goofy on his sales pitch.  Sounds like he has read too many Bring a Trailer ads BUT the car appears to be all there including the rear side moldings.  That's a big plus.  And it looks dry inside from what little you can see.

If there is anything I've learned in many long years of evaluating used cars in any category, it is the importance of taking the measure of the seller as well as that of the car.  There is nothing in the text of this auction that even remotely suggests an honest, candid, respectful, or scrupulous seller.  Instead, the clearly unjustified hype and huckstering here raise enough red flags for May Day in Moscow.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

Seller relisted on eBay with starting bid 7000 USD. He must have read my comment here. 🤣 Currently at 7100 USD. With so rusty bumpers and so much neglect, how do the floors may look like? I need a new project like a big ugly pimpel on my nose. I hope I can resist. 😭  I need therapy. 

• Like 1

Hans, just buy it!!

I asked the seller to add more photos.  He is selling his deceased dad's cars he says.  Apparently does not have a clue about selling on eBay or elsewhere.  It's worth more that $7000 but we need to see the floor boards.  Not running - a potentially cracked water jacket or bad Dynaflow  knocks thousands off the price for me. 

Here is the new listing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/275742760574

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

Dan, don't force me to buy it, pleaseeee! 😉 

No, this car suffered obviously so much from decades of neglect, and if the seller has no idea what he is selling, he cannot give us any reasonable answer about its condition. That's like Russian roulette. I am happy with my Super convertible and the Roadmaster Riviera still needs some work and money as well. 

How about you? Go for it, Dan, go!!!! 

Don't trust your lieing eyes from those pictures.  Trust my description of what you should be seeing.

"This particular car has been lovingly restored to its original glory, with attention paid to every detail, from the gleaming green exterior to the plush interior. The car has been kept in excellent condition, with only minor wear and tear due to its age.

This Buick Roadmaster is powered by a straight-eight engine, delivering a smooth and powerful driving experience. The car has been well-maintained and serviced regularly, ensuring that it is in excellent running condition. It is a pleasure to drive and is sure to bring joy to any collector or classic car enthusiast."

Directly from the ebay ad.  How can you pay attention to every detail and leave badly fogged windshield glass. A badly rusted rear bumper and the lack of any detail under the hood except rust and decay?

How can it be well maintained and regularly driven when the engine looks like it hasn't run in decades.

The guy must be a script writer for mainstream media. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

All in agreement but 49 Roadmasters don’t grow on trees.  Rarely seen and I suspect the truly nice ones are safely ensconced in collections.  I’ve seen projects go for over $7,000!

I think it is more likely that this is a scam. The only thing that doesn't fit is that scammers usually put more effort into their stuff to make it look real. So it might be a totally uninterested seller with a real car, or the worst scammer in recent history with nothing in hand. The eBay  description is for sure copied from somewhere else. Do I still like the car? I love it. 😭

In another thread, Jake Moran suggests that the dash color in this car is wrong.  But the dash is probably correct while the exterior color is wrong.  That is, the dash and garnish moldings appear to be Cumulus Gray (which is actually greenish, much like pre-war Ford Cloud Gray), as was surely the entire car originally.

The closest factory color to the paint that's on the car now appears to be Gala Green -- a metallic considerably deeper in color than the repaint.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:28 AM, Buickborn said:

In another thread, Jake Moran suggests that the dash color in this car is wrong.  But the dash is probably correct while the exterior color is wrong. 

The closest factory color to the paint that's on the car now appears to be Gala Green -- a metallic considerably deeper in color than the repaint.

No doubt you may be correct because it does not appear to be body color of green but I recall my Roadmaster and many more I have seen to be almost a “hammered” metallic grey.  But admittedly it’s been maybe 10-12 years since I have seen a 49 Roadmaster.  

On 3/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, B Jake Moran said:

No doubt you may be correct because it does not appear to be body color of green but I recall my Roadmaster and many more I have seen to be almost a “hammered” metallic grey.  But admittedly it’s been maybe 10-12 years since I have seen a 49 Roadmaster.  

Come to think of it, Jake, I'm sure you're right.  I was reasoning as if the dash. etc., should be in the body color.  But that was true only in the case of the convertibles and the Riviera hardtop.  B-pillar cars used metallic gray regardless of exterior color.

So what was the idea of re-painting the dash as it appears?  Maybe at some point the entire car had been repainted in that color?