Custer motor car (Motor Chair?)

old car fan

Cool find, will be interested in hearing more! the book "The American Car since 1775" (AQ and Dutton) lists the Custer Specialty Company of Dayton Ohio 1920-1946, had an experimental electric car in 1898, and also built gasolene, electric, handicapped and amusement park rides. Could this be a very early motorised wheel chair?  

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

I have period sales material illustrating these - the invalid car as you have plus the amusement park rides etc. Just need the time to locate and then scan etc. this will take some time as I am in the middle of other research and writing projects that have deadlines. Very happy to see you have this, just great.

• Like 2

Interesting in period ad for these Custer motorized wheelchairs. Not sure they would be considered a "car", most likely would have very few if any transportation regulations (like headlights horn, tail/stop lights), but nice find none the less.CusterElectricandGasoleneWheelchairad.jpg.ba684a239ac2c5382452e8c947cc7a94.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Interesting in period ad for these Custer motorized wheelchairs. Not sure they would be considered a "car", most likely would have very few if any transportation regulations (like headlights horn, tail/stop lights), but nice find none the less.CusterElectricandGasoleneWheelchairad.jpg.ba684a239ac2c5382452e8c947cc7a94.jpg

In Alberta, it would have qualified for 'motorcycle' plates, just as later three-wheeled Cushmans did.

Craig

Just a quick reply for now - 40 years ago I had extensive correspondence with my good friend Ralph Dunwoodie of Nevada , he and I exchanged information on Custer cars as I had one at the time. I also had communicated with Mike Worthington Williams in Wales and Bev Kimes who was Editor of Automobile Quarterly at the item. AQ did an article on the Custer car then , someplace here I have a copy as she used my file on the history of the cars . All this in an era of not finding history or doing research at the tap of a button.

Here is what I can share for now. No further news for some time , just do not have the time. Hope this helps   Note the penned notations of cost when new.

CusterCAR.jpg

On 3/8/2023 at 3:39 AM, old car fan said:

Looks to be the old soap factory. 

When I Googled it looks like it was in the Davis electric buildings across the street from the soap factory,the building it looked to be in had caught fire and is no longer standing and was right next to the train tracks.

6 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

When I Googled it looks like it was in the Davis electric buildings across the street from the soap factory,the building it looked to be in had caught fire and is no longer standing and was right next to the train tracks.

It was the old Master electric buildings not Davis electric but I think it was the Davis sewing machine company at one time.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Custer motor car (Motor Chair?)

123 Franklin Street, Dayton OH. is one one of the pcs of literature.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/123+Franklin+St,+Dayton,+OH+45402/@39.7531213,-84.1929413,3a,75y,152.13h,99.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3sJwky6O20D2E378pQda9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x884086acc4b2a471:0x9f2d7e86cbeaf8fa!8m2!3d39.7534267!4d-84.1931084

Walking distance (virtually next door?) to the Packard Museum. 46 Franklin St, Dayton OH.

West Peterson lives near there?  @West Peterson

This is perhaps the most famous of all Custer Cars today. Most websites that show this photo do not identify the car (and if attempted, usually misidentified). The lady is Mary Bay.

As Tim said, Custer made several different vehicles, the Cootie (a children's car) being the second most produced. The most produced was the automotive wheelchair. They also built a Cabbie (miniature railroad), Carrier (truck), and coupe.

The factory is within a stone's throw from the Stoddard-Dayton factory, which is still standing.

10443u.preview.jpg

• Like 2

The Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation in Kingman. Arizona (Route 66) has a 1914 Custer Chair Car.  Here is what their website says: Its Inventor, Levitt Lucern Custer, was an entrepreneur and contemporary of the Wright Brothers. “Custer had worked with the Wrights and was an accomplished balloonist and aviator in his own right” says Larry Fisher, Foundation Curator.

The Custer Chair Car was largely for seniors, however the Great War (World War I) brought with it the opportunity to create a mobility solution for returning wounded soldiers. The three-wheeled Custer Chair Car answered this by promising "Miles of Smiles for a Penny." The Custer Specialty Company offered the cars first with electric power, and later optional gasoline power.  Hundreds were produced, although few survived the scrap drives of World War II.

Custer-EV-historic-photo-web.jpg

• Like 1

Tim. Apparently no earlier than December 1942:

By the time WWII ended, over 4,000 amputations had been performed on U.S. soldiers, many of whom came to the Dayton Soldiers’ Home (now called the V.A. Medical Center) for rehabilitation. This prompted the invention of the Custer Invalid Chair, a three-wheel motor vehicle that ran on batteries. Designed to be used by invalids as a sort of self-propelled wheelchair, it would travel 10 to 15 miles before it needed recharging. Custer was granted design patent #D53,891 for his electric motorized wheelchair on October 7, 1919.

Unfortunately, while Custer’s invention allowed the veterans to travel into town, since the Soldiers’ Home was on a hill, many times the chair would run out of power on its way back. This led Custer to invent a gasoline version of his invalid car. Custer’s gasoline-powered wheelchair was granted patent #2,306,042 on December 22, 1942.

42902805_2144648322266651_1242424744700018688_n.jpg

• Like 1