hi from France - 1950 Buick Super I have a problem with my alternator

punisher

hello everyone I’m French excuse me I use googled to translate, I live in the south of France and I own a 1950 Buick Super I have a problem with my alternator I bought a new one but my battery still does not charge I really do not know what to try to make it work, I wonder if the former owner could be swapped the wires on the amperemeter could that have prevented my battery from charging?  thank you https://www.facebook.com/cape.koi/videos/582116980616972?idorvanity=1556663194660658

hello thank you for your answer I tried but when I replace with new cable of the same section there is no electricity at all yet there is only one cable that goes from gen to voltage and one from voltage that goes to the + of the starter, maybe the old owner got the wrong regulator

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to hi from France - 1950 Buick Super I have a problem with my alternator
On 2/26/2023 at 12:51 PM, DonMicheletti said:

The manual should explain this process where you apply a short positive charge to the F (field) coil.

Do check the manual

No. That is the other circuit generator, the Ford B circuit charging system. There are A and B circuit generators and polarizing is different. You were right in saying read the manual.👍

You jump the BAT and ARM (or GEN) terminals at the voltage regulator to polarize the generator on a 1950 Buick (most GM cars 1950 and newer). Use a pretty good size wire, like (let me get my AWG to mmconverter) 2 mm or larger. There will be a spark. Hold it for only a few seconds. This procedure is done with the engine off, key off.

Jumping BAT to FLD on this A circuit charging system will fry the voltage regulator.😲

If you look closely at the voltage regulator there should be BAT, ARM (or GEN) and FLD stamped into the terminals.

And there should also be stamped A and F next to the bolts on the generator.  The Field terminal gets the red circle as shown in your picture.

The A of the generator should wire to the ARM (GEN) of the regulator. The F of the generator should wire to the FLD of the regulator. BAT of the regulator should go to the positive battery post. The regulator case does need to be grounded (earthed to chassis) to operate. In operation, the regulator grounds the F terminal, so the regulator case needs to be grounded to do this. If it is mounted on rubber, there should be a jumper wire or brass strip to do the grounding.

To test if the generator is faulty or the voltage regulator, when the engine is running, ground the F terminal of the generator. If the battery voltage rises/ammeter shows charging, the generator is working and the voltage regulator is suspect. Do not keep this jumper wire in place, it will overcharge the battery and apply too much voltage to the system. This is only a test.

• Like 2