rear brake drums 1932 Pontiac Custom Sedan

Bruce Ramsay

I just found this unrestored beauty in a barn.  25000 original miles.  complete vehicle.  I cant figure out how to remove the rear drums so that i can redo the brakes.  it looks to me like the axle and drum are a unit.  do i have to pull the axle to get to the brakes?  Fronts were no problem.

Amazing car.  every hub cap, dial and even the original blinds in the back.  only damage is the roof which has leaked and damaged the headliner.  even the original mohair seats are undamaged..

• Like 1

Most cars from this era used a brake drum puller on the rear drums.  I would post this on the Pontiac page of this forum and one of their readers should help you.  Rear drums usually come off hard .  Go slow and easy as not to destroy anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leomara said:

chistech, not if it's this type of wheel....

1928 wheel with weights.jpg

1932 would not have that old style wheel wood wheel, it will be a bolt-on that attaches just like the wire wheel would. They used a much larger hubcap that covers the lugs.  Most likely the car has wires, as wood wheels are very uncommon on 32 Pontiacs.  

So Chistech is correct on a using the arm type puller, and I think some auto parts places loan them out, or rent them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Bruce Ramsay said:

I just found this unrestored beauty in a barn.  25000 original miles.  complete vehicle.  I cant figure out how to remove the rear drums so that i can redo the brakes.  it looks to me like the axle and drum are a unit.  do i have to pull the axle to get to the brakes?  Fronts were no problem.

Amazing car.  every hub cap, dial and even the original blinds in the back.  only damage is the roof which has leaked and damaged the headliner.  even the original mohair seats are undamaged..

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dodge28 said:

To make an informed decision a picture will be helpful 

This is on the left rear of my 31 Pontiac, just without the dog bone on the puller.  And the second picture is what I found.  Lining has since been replaced.  

20220215_113748.jpg

20220215_120011.jpg

• Like 3

If possible adjust the brake shoes inward away from the drum.  Also the drum should turn.  This will tell you the shoes have not frozen to the drum.  Slow and easy as not to peen the end of the axle over.  A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Like 1

61Polara and 3macboys recommend  the proper tool per the Oakland Pontiac Service Manual.  There are other ways I have used to remove but the puller attached to the brake drum is the method in the manual

The complete section of this manual should be uploaded to my website today or tomorrow.  I am slowly getting the entire service manuals for 1926-1932 Pontiacs on this site.

pontiacsplithead.com

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 8.49.41 AM.jpg

• Like 2