The identify this tool

halifaxhops

Makes sense with that slotted hook. 90° bend will help with leverage.

I have a K-D or Lisle headlight spring tool with red plastic handle. It's a straight pull design. It's a handy thing. Never liked trying to pull springs under tension with a pair of pliers, though I did until I realized there were tools made for the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halifaxhops said:

s-l640.jpg

I have to be honest, I saw that on ebay a couple of days ago and for the life of me I can't figure out how it works. Does the ring with the rubber pads go under the spokes of the wheel?

hmmm.. Steering Wheel Puller, or similar puller for something delicate, ring goes under 3 spokes and rubber protects against abrasion. Could have used one like it with larger ring on my Chrysler, I had to make up this Rube Goldberg method!

IMG_7870 (2).JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stude17 said:

Brake drum wear gauge.

Actually, it's a brake shoe adjusting gauge. The inside measuring end of the tool is set to the ID of the drum and the outside end of the tool is then used to adjust the shoes to fit.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Actually, it's a brake shoe adjusting gauge. The inside measuring end of the tool is set to the ID of the drum and the outside end of the tool is then used to adjust the shoes to fit.

Nailed it.  Something no one does any more like arching the shoes is a lost art.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 7:09 AM, halifaxhops said:

Something no one does any more like arching the shoes is a lost art.

Yeah, sadly.
 I guess it has something to do with the creation of aerosolized asbestos dust from arching the shoes. 
But I don’t see much of a problem with that.  😉

On 4/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, Stude17 said:

It's main purpose is to measures drum wear to ensure it is within manufacturer’s tolerance

Hummmmm….. I wonder. To check a drum for oversize, you need a tool that can measure in the .001 of an inch. The pictured tool could measure a drum, and there seems to be a scale on it, but I wouldn’t imagine that it would be accurate enough to condemn a brake drum.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, m-mman said:

Yeah, sadly.
 I guess it has something to do with the creation of aerosolized asbestos dust from arching the shoes. 
But I don’t see much of a problem with that.  😉

Hummmmm….. I wonder. To check a drum for oversize, you need a tool that can measure in the .001 of an inch. The pictured tool could measure a drum, and there seems to be a scale on it, but I wouldn’t imagine that it would be accurate enough to condemn a brake drum.  

The tool is designed to measure inside brake drum(not for specs to see if replacement needed) and then see how it measures up too brake shoes when installed on vehicle, so you can make accurate brake shoe adjustment, possibly may have to tweak adjustment a little, especially on front for brake pulling conditions.

Bear brake drum measuring gauge, has a dial gauge for you to read for exact dimensions to see if inside brake drum is within specifications.

Bob

On 4/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, Stude17 said:

I stand by my description;

https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/sealey-vs040-brake-drum-wear-gauge/p-49145712-97622620?language=en&ac=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItry72ram_gIVgJNmAh2WWA5WEAsYAiABEgJyCfD_BwE

On 4/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, Stude17 said:

It's main purpose is to measures drum wear to ensure it is within manufacturer’s tolerance but can also be used to aid quick set-up of shoe/drum clearance prior to re-installation of drum.

1 hour ago, Stude17 said:

I've actually found this to be more of an oil filter crushing tool... 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I've actually found this to be more of an oil filter crushing tool... 

yeah, I’m looking at it and it seems to be a 3rd class lever(?).  Greater force of compression than rotation (?) 

whatever the class, leverage is certainly not it’s strong point. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going with "Vintage freeze plug installation tool w/ Driver handle and installer cup dies" for $20, Alex... 😁

(hint: you might want to edit the wording when you post a link like that. 😉)

• Like 1

Positive crankcase ventilation valve tester.  
PCVs were installed starting in the early sixties and it wasn’t understood if they should be checked & cleaned or just replaced. 
This would check one but in practice it’s cheaper to just replace them. 
Use of the word “dangerous” certainly has the tinge of hard sell.  

• 2 weeks later...