The identify this tool

halifaxhops

51 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I think it's called an "obstruction wrench" to get into really weird and inaccessible spots. I've seen them but never had occasion to need or use one. Maybe for suspension or some odd-ass engine/transmission combination?

And in this case, since we can read "Snap On 5/8 S-8164-A" in the photo, Google tells us that it is a starter obstruction wrench made 1955-57. Of course, that assumes that everything on the interwebs is true. 😁

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

And in this case, since we can read "Snap On 5/8 S-8164-A" in the photo, Google tells us that it is a starter obstruction wrench made 1955-57. Of course, that assumes that everything on the interwebs is true. 😁

Kind of head bolt wrench.  

• Like 1

The strange thing about this obstruction wrench is that the part that grabs the hex head seems to operate in only one direction. 

With a box wrench you can flip it over and use it from either side. This thing only works one way. 

Specialized tools are great, but a one way wrench seems very limiting. 

39 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

We've had a good laugh over it. It's to check carb float weight to determine if it's gotten saturated with fuel to where it doesn't function correctly.

Other uses may or may not be legal in your locality!

The more interesting part of that tool is finding the list of what different floats are SUPPOSED to weigh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I'm gonna steal a tool picture Joe P had in another thread, because I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and take a picture of my own, and if I use one from me own thread from last year it'd be a dead giveaway what it is!😁20180214_120750a.jpg

Headlight adjuster/aimer

• Thanks 1