What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

The RM car above is actually a bit different than the previous car. The first PII you posted at the Ocala Florida meet a few years ago took me to breakfast this morning. 

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The RM car above is actually a bit different than the previous car. The first PII you posted at the Ocala Florida meet a few years ago took me to breakfast this morning. 

I think it might be a Phantom I.  I need to go find it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

I've always hated anything fake, whether on a car (padded tops, portholes, non-functional vents etc), a house (fake shutters, fake bricks/stone, fake Greek columns, etc), no matter the make/model/year. Just my preference that "less is more".

There's a reason why Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi sales only went UP in the 1970's while Cadillac, Lincoln, and Imperial went in the toilet.  The Germans increased their use of REAL wood and leather, while the (once) Big Three's luxury offerings started to use fake wood & leather trim inside.   Most luxury car buyers agreed.

Craig

AJ, I also would be a buyer for that car, as you know garage space is a premium and I only have one spot left that’s a little less than 10’, I was saving it for a Crosely hotshot, but looking closely at your photo I think I can fit it in😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George K said:

Were does this car score on the Grandpa meter scale. I would believe very high.

I think low - the fastback rear styling is more sporting that the typical trunk back touring sedan of the time.  Grandpa might go to Rollston for one of their high roof specials.

7 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just wondering is 1934 the year that slim and trim looking cars ended, they seam to look like they could out run the later plump versions. 

34 is the BEST year for GM products.   For Chrysler, Packard, Ford it was 32.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Because it has a relatively high greenhouse.  The longer wheelbase and hood stretches things out.

Duesenberg Model J, with limousine body by Willoughby: 1935 - Digital  Collections - Free Library

Something wrong with this one, other than the fake landau bars not only being upside down, but on the wrong sides of the car. This more than likely started out as a six-window limousine/sedan

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Something wrong with this one, other than the fake landau bars not only being upside down, but on the wrong side of the car. This more than likely started out as a six-window limousine/sedan

Agreed.  I posted it because I knew you would appreciate the tires,  spotlight and white top.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Something wrong with this one, other than the fake landau bars being upside down. This more than likely started out as a six-window limousine/sedan

Did Bohmann and Schwartz get their hands on this Duesenberg j Willougby six-window sedan-limousine?

• Haha 1

Speaking of fastback design, I've always been partial to the 1939 Lincoln Zephyr. Everyone might have their favorites, but to me the 1939 gets all the details right--delicate grille with pointed nose, awesome dashboard with that center stack, and highly detailed tail with so many wonderful curves coming together perfectly. It's a car that just gets better and better the more you look at it, especially from the rear. I regret selling this mostly original one (the fenders have obviously been repainted at some point) and still think it's one of the prettiest 4-doors of the immediate pre-war period.

007.JPG.43f09814321d13039c6e907350687eaa.JPG  005.JPG.88796c305a549c28b43a81c00f9d2859.JPG  042.JPG.74f171ee44163b54d29029380308f19a.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

De trunk of De 1939 Lincoln Zephyr to show how they actually got a spare tire to fit , have an image of the body skeleton as well.

LZ1939TRUNK.jpg

Pretty clever design although you'd have to be very careful packing your gear so the tire will still clear. There's decent space in there.

058.JPG.8722939d0e1153211f7f1996c5ea3021.JPG  059.JPG.d2b709180d4cc5f9eb0efd03c891ee88.JPG  060.JPG.46ca864c8f41e2468cdd9738f92b68e2.JPG  061.JPG.6a99789f8a74c09cbddec1be3c884fc4.JPG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Walt G said:

De trunk of De 1939 Lincoln Zephyr to show how they actually got a spare tire to fit , have an image of the body skeleton as well.

I bet the little old granny owner had fun getting the spare down and more so, back up, not to mention wrestling luggage in and out over it.

• Like 1

Take a few moments to look at the image I posted - look at how the way the fenders and body flow into each other, motion captured in sheet metal. All designed with pencils and erasers, ellipse templates, then sculpted in clay so moulds could be made to produce them. No computers to generate images, all hand done  - think about that , appreciate the flow and the skill it took to turn a two dimensional image into a three dimensional object.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Take a few moments to look at the image I posted - look at how the way the fenders and body flow into each other, motion captured in sheet metal. All designed with pencils and erasers, ellipse templates, then sculpted in clay so moulds could be made to produce them. No computers to generate images, all hand done  - think about that , appreciate the flow and the skill it took to turn a two dimensional image into a three dimensional object.

I find that to be one of the most remarkable things about our old cars, particularly the complex ones. I look at the Marmon Sixteen in our showroom, a work of art in aluminum, and it boggles my mind that some guy drew that engine on a piece of paper, then handed it to a guy in the machine shop and they made it from nothingness. That it works at all is remarkable, but the fact that it is so buttery smooth with massive torque, all working in virtual silence is truly miraculous.

When we think that we're smarter than these guys because we have computers and 80 years of additional knowledge on our side, take a look at a Duesenberg J engine or a Cadillac V16 or that Marmon engine and think again. Those were brilliant men who forgot more about making machines work than most of us will ever know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This question fits in here.

Maybe 40 years ago went to look at a Rolls-Royce for sale. Of all things in a chicken coup.

Remember a story that they are made of hand formed aluminum (which  saw since it was stripped), but many of the craftmen where alcoholics and lived under bridges. I have always hoped this was a false story. 

Outer skin was hand formed aluminum, the structural framework would have been wood, most of the time 2nd growth ash for its strength and somewhat flexibility. Oak is a strong wood as well but can split and fracture much more easily thus was not used for the most part because of that. Do not know about the living conditions nor alcohol consumption but am sure the purchaser had to consume some adult beverage when quoted the cost to have a body built.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Outer skin was hand formed aluminum, the structural framework would have been wood, most of the time 2nd growth ash for its strength and somewhat flexibility. Oak is a strong wood as well but can split and fracture much more easily thus was not used for the most part because of that. Do not know about the living conditions nor alcohol consumption but am sure the purchaser had to consume some adult beverage when quoted the cost to have a body built.

Like the old saying, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!" 😉