What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

A 1928 Peerless Six-91 Five-Passenger Sedangallery_49853_17_1431479931_15406.thumb.jpg.6bc7dcc3784a8a78bef2e8b4a325d4bc.jpg

The owner told me he drove it from Massachusetts down to New Jersey or Maryland for an antique car show of some kind, and parked in visitor parking, since he had no plans to enter the Peerless. Soon he was summoned on the sound system and asked to report to the judging area, because the organizers thought it was too nice to be in the visitor lot. He was asked to move it to a prime area as a featured exhibition car. Maybe he got an award for Best Twenties Car To Crash The Party!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

A.J.,

Did this rakish-looking bad boy Castagna sedan ever get built? If so, did it survive the period when it was trendy to chop it up into an open car?

Jeff, I know of no Castagna bodies that were actually built on the Duesenburg chassis.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

I almost bought this thing.  Not beautiful the way most of the car in this thread are,  but very imposing and interesting.

1923 STANLEY STEAM CAR MODEL 740D BIG SEDAN

As one of the few that like the 1920s cars more than the 1930s cars, I really like this one.

What is even better, is that it wound up in a long-time good friends garage! I haven't been out to see it yet (my family issues still), but hope to by some time this year (I think I said that last year?). He is a great guy and very passionate about the cars and the history surrounding them. The car is in good hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

As one of the few that like the 1920s cars more than the 1930s cars, I really like this one.

What is even better, is that it wound up in a long-time good friends garage! I haven't been out to see it yet (my family issues still), but hope to by some time this year (I think I said that last year?). He is a great guy and very passionate about the cars and the history surrounding them. The car is in good hands.

Agreed.  Dan is a good guy.  I was happy he ended up with it.

9 hours ago, jeff_a said:

There is a 1925 Brooks at the Canadian Automotive Museum in Ontario.

Yes there is.  When I saw it in 2010, it was parked between two posts, next to the Gray-Dort, of which I took a photo of here:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/47754-orphan-of-the-day-12-02-1924-gray-dort?46595-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-02-1924-Gray-Dort=&highlight=gray-dort

It was impossible to get a good photo of it because of the posts being in the way.

Craig

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

Jeff, I know of no Castagna bodies that were actually built on the Duesenberg chassis.

A.J.:

Someone will pose questions whether a carmaker or coachbuilder did thus or such; my mind seems have filed the minor details about that topic.  Fortunately, Fred Roe made it easy to source the answer for Duesenberg J. 

My mother said that our minds were "a potpourri of non-essentials"...

Steve 

Duesenberg J Castagna conv sedan - Roe.JPG

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Thanks Steve. I do not believe that car survives or if it does it’s been hidden for a while.

Fred Roe didn't note whether this Castagna-bodied J was still extant.  Perhaps Randy Ema knows.

Anyway, here is another favorite Duesenberg J sport sedan by Rollston, primarily because its conceptually a convertible sedan with a stationary top.  It retains the light chrome window frames and half-door construction.   One does have to overlook the rather bulbous trunk, though.

Steve

Duesenberg J Rollston sport sedan - Roe.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nat said:

Early shot of Harvey Weinstein?

Nope....all the ladies LOVE Pierce Arrow owners........especially the ones that own cars that run 4 million plus.......... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

Someone will pose questions whether a carmaker or coachbuilder did thus or such; my mind seems have filed the minor details about that topic.  Fortunately, Fred Roe made it easy to source the answer for Duesenberg J. 

My mother said that our minds were "a potpourri of non-essentials"...

Steve 

Duesenberg J Castagna conv sedan - Roe.JPG

Castagna was into that vee division.59D881B0-2F47-4816-A8D6-CD093804C38E.jpeg.4b92e70d30c20a0a4556a3e2d3993520.jpeg

• Like 1

Model J. Painted shell, painted wheels, raked windshield, low roof, long hood. tph 479, APPEARS BASED ON OVAL WHEELS THAT THIS PHOTO IS STRETCHED A BIT, CREATES A GREAT LOOK, BUT WOULD NOT BE AS SEXY IF PROPER LENGTH. (sorry for caps, typing mistake, not hollering at anyone!) Anyone able to correct photo of a very nice car.

7E6D3BC5-DD3C-4061-9016-0467F85A4400.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Model J. Painted shell, painted wheels, raked windshield, low roof, long hood. 

7E6D3BC5-DD3C-4061-9016-0467F85A4400.png

Thank you for finding that picture.   I was looking for it when the following B&S car was posted.   I believe the before and after.

1929 Duesenberg Model J

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George K said:

Better photo.8934763D-DD2E-4799-8FF6-78ADAE6238AD.jpeg.2fb85f7a29668796b2d4067bc378b744.jpeg

380 is rare as hen's teeth.  A couple of interesting features.  The semaphores in the rear quarter and it actually has chrome wires.  90% of all present day 380/500K/540K cars have chrome wires.  When they were built it was the opposite.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Thank you for finding that picture.   I was looking for it when the following B&S car was posted.   I believe the before and after.

1929 Duesenberg Model J

I think Derham made 4 of these bodies but I may well be wrong also. The car is a lot more sinister looking in its original configuration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

380 is rare as hen's teeth.  A couple of interesting features.  The semaphores in the rear quarter and it actually has chrome wires.  90% of all present day 380/500K/540K cars have chrome wires.  When they were built it was the opposite.

50DF2DC8-E475-4149-AE6E-F922590D3855.jpeg.31d040508839cba18878c3dc188ff89d.jpegA02CB10A-0214-4DE2-8D48-D11E75D82CEF.jpeg.596e10608ce8a2b3c7d3951454aac09d.jpegC0DF9816-E222-4298-8976-9B1024C35267.jpeg.ef338fcd40fabb460c984b95084abd0d.jpeg

• Like 2

Speaking of Mark Hyman,  here is a Judkins bodied car that I saw years ago in Chris Charlton's shop when it was owned by Bill Ruger.   Bill had updated it for touring like all his cars.  It goes like a bat out of hell.

Not beautiful, but not ugly.   Interesting car.   Have been on a tour behind it trying to keep up and failed miserably.

6107.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1