Air filter for '63 Riv w/401

JanZverina

Happy New Year! I'm looking for an air filter element for my '63 Riv with a 401. Wix lists the p/n as 42092 (different from the one for the 425, which is 42082). CARS Inc. lists them as AF636 for the 401 and AF646 for the 425. I want to make sure I get the right one, which has a lipped edge on the one side and which I think is flatter. Any leads/guidance appreciated!

I'm not familiar with the different dimensions.  It's ben a while since i bought either one. On their own website, Wix does not show any 1st generation Riviera air filters.  The Wix part number is 42092. When I Googled that part number I was directed to Summit. They show out of stock but should be on hand in late February. No more than these cars are driven, I think the one from CARS would be fine. Around town when my 63 was my daily driver, I used an open element with an after market housing. 

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'm not familiar with the different dimensions.  It's ben a while since i bought either one. On their own website, Wix does not show any 1st generation Riviera air filters.  The Wix part number is 42092. When I Googled that part number I was directed to Summit. They show out of stock but should be on hand in late February. No more than these cars are driven, I think the one from CARS would be fine. Around town when my 63 was my daily driver, I used an open element with an after market housing. 

542092 | WIX | OFS # 97-22-4330 (onlinefiltersupply.com)

My googles better than your google😆 You can go there and become familiar with air filter dimensions should you so choose. 21 bucks... Is that cheaper than CARS??

18 minutes ago, gungeey said:

542092 | WIX | OFS # 97-22-4330 (onlinefiltersupply.com)

My googles better than your google😆 You can go there and become familiar with air filter dimensions should you so choose. 21 bucks... Is that cheaper than CARS??

What’s strange is that the Wix site says they don’t make that filter any longer.  I wonder if they bought a bunch at close out.

55 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Yes and that has no bearing on the fact that I bought my last one there. Nor does it change the fact that they are still available. Your point is?

Bill

If the factory does not have them what are the chances that Amazon is just hoping for replacements.  I’ve been an Amazon customer seems like forever. This is the first instance I’ve seen of a delayed notice for delivery. They either ship or tell you it’s not in stock.  Just relating my experiences with Amazon. I hope you get it and let the rest of us know so that we too can purchase what we need.

Ed

Thanks for the info, everyone. Via AMZ, they're telling me 2-3 weeks. Re onlinefiltersupply, shipping is more than the cost of the filter but either way the Wix 42-92 looks to be available but we'll see, as Ed says. Thanks again for the responses. -JZ  

On 1/3/2023 at 6:17 PM, Riviera63 said:

I bought my last one on Amazon. Wix 42092. I just went there and it is available.

For 42092:

Dimensional Specifications
Outer Diameter, Top: 17.06 IN (433.32 MM)

Outer Diameter, Bottom: 17.06 IN (433.32 MM)

Inner Diameter, Top: 13.81 IN (350.77 MM)

Inner Diameter, Bottom: 13.81 IN (350.77 MM)

Length: 2.93 IN (74.42 MM)

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

@Riviera63 posted this a couple of days ago. I posted that he should let us know if he gets it in the 3 to 4 week window it shows for delivery.

I bought and received it several months ago. Got it in 2-3 days back then. I was just reporting that had I bought my last one on Amazon to give others interested another possible option for purchase, not that I had just ordered it. At the time I was writing the post I went on Amazon to double check what brand (Wix) and number (42092) that I had purchased and I also checked to see if they were still available/selling them at this time. Which they were.

Bill 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JanZverina said:

An update on Wix air filter 42092 for a '63 401 Riv w/the OEM air filter housing: Just checked my AMZ orders and still no ETA. I ordered it January 4 so I'm now well into 3-4 week window.

I ordered one from Amazon, too.  Still waiting...

• 9 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 5:51 AM, Riviera63 said:

I bought and received it several months ago. Got it in 2-3 days back then. I was just reporting that had I bought my last one on Amazon to give others interested another possible option for purchase, not that I had just ordered it. At the time I was writing the post I went on Amazon to double check what brand (Wix) and number (42092) that I had purchased and I also checked to see if they were still available/selling them at this time. Which they were.

Bill 

checked to see if they were still available/selling them at this time
This one looks pretty good for a prototype, BUT it might be too expensive to make. I know car collectors typically through nickels around like they are man hole covers so the price has to be right.

IMG_1997.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’ll preface that with a never.  I’ve talked with James at Bestoffercounts and Steve with CARS.  WIX. was the last manufacturer. They’ve bee purchased by a large German company.  That company has no intention of producing anything that won’t put at least one of each of there products on the shelf every store in a chain.  Just think how many NAPA, AutoZone, O’Reilly, and Advance Auto stores there are; way more than the number of stock 63 & 64 Rivieras out there. In other words “It ain’t gonna happen.”  

Best thing to do is put an aftermarket unit on your car, clean the old stock one you have to the best of your ability, and save it for the next show & shine.  It won’t be part of your driver any longer.

• Thanks 1

What Ed said!

I’ve also researched the living crap out of this air filter. It ain’t going to happen guys. I personally feel the 3” aftermarket filter is the solution, though not the one I’d hope for but it sure beats having no solution. I’ve had an order in to several suppliers for almost 2 years now. It’s now become an amusement to get the “We can’t fulfill your order” email every couple months. It reminds me of how fragile the supply chain of parts for our cars truly is. If it wasn’t for guys like Gene, James, and the other that make the commitment to the hobby I can’t imagine what it be like out there. No that’s not true, I did have a ‘36 Cadillac before I woke up and let its next caretaker have it. 

Ray

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

I’ll preface that with a never.  I’ve talked with James at Bestoffercounts and Steve with CARS.  WIX. was the last manufacturer. They’ve bee purchased by a large German company.  That company has no intention of producing anything that won’t put at least one of each of there products on the shelf every store in a chain.  Just think how many NAPA, AutoZone, O’Reilly, and Advance Auto stores there are; way more than the number of stock 63 & 64 Rivieras out there. In other words “It ain’t gonna happen.”  

Best thing to do is put an aftermarket unit on your car, clean the old stock one you have to the best of your ability, and save it for the next show & shine.  It won’t be part of your driver any longer.

Ed, which aftermarket filter will fit? Can we get a manufacturer name and part number?

Does it fit in the original housing?

Are you thinking something like a K&N filter?

Hello--Ed,--Jim--Bill, i was messing around on computer   came across this  outlet  with filters,

probably a waste of time,--they are called , FMS Filters zip is 42092,   they still show they have  wix--42092  filters,

$17.29, i actually went  and  nearly completed a purchase, right through  until you  make parment,---thats were i stopped ,

because i  dont require any ---i dont own  a 63,---so just doing this in case its  for real , regards.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:53 PM, RivNut said:

Scroll up and read my reply ti LimoLarry. In a nut shell you’re not going to fin any unless someone has some new old stock.

OK, I thought that you guys found an air filter for another vehicle that was round and roughly the correct diameter and height, but it was missing the rubber flange around the top, so you had to make your own flange and stick it on.  Am I remembering that wrong?

That's the air filter make and number I was trying to get from you guys.

I understand that the exact correct original style air filter is no longer available.

11 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

OK, I thought that you guys found an air filter for another vehicle that was round and roughly the correct diameter and height, but it was missing the rubber flange around the top, so you had to make your own flange and stick it on.  Am I remembering that wrong?

Jim, good day.

You're remembering right, just the wrong  "Air Filter for a '63-401 thread. This was discussed in the below noted thread and from what was posted, Ed started the rubber flange attempt using this filter...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BZYYSU?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1...

Later,

Jim Cannon and I have been messaging each other about this filter situation.  He gave me a NAPA number thinking it was about the same size as the filter I linked from Amazon.  I called my local NAPA jobber and asked about ordering one.  He looked it up and said that his computer suffixed the number I gave him with an S meaning special order from the manufacturer.  In order to even check it out, I would have to pay the $50 price of the item plus $10 - $12 shipping - non of it refundable if didn’t fit.  But, he said that his computer showed there were 10 in stock in the NAPA distribution center in Miami, FL.  He went on to say that perhaps someone in Miami might be able to get a local store to request one without prepaying or paying shipping charges.  If there is someone in Miami who would do this or wants to pay upfront on a hope and a prayer. The NAPA part # is 46974R.  NAPA Online shows this as the correct filter for a 1963-1964 Buick Riviera.  He said that his reference said it was a WIX filter. What are the chances that there are 10 WIX filters remaining in the Miami warehouse? Someone check this out and let the rest of us know.

Hopefully you all realize that the lip on the OE filters just covers the gap between the lid and the base.  Running a 16” x 3” filter that does not close the gap filters all the air that enters the carburetor; no unfiltered air gets to the engine.  For your weekend drives, use a 16” x 3” filter, then put your old filter in for a show ‘n shine while the car sits.  Take it out, drop in the new 16” x 3” filter and drive home. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

For your weekend drives, use a 16” x 3” filter, then put your old filter in for a show ‘n shine while the car sits.  Take it out, drop in the new 16” x 3” filter and drive home. 😄

If I had a disgusting filter, I'd cut-out the top part, freeze it then shape it some how. Probably wouldn't turn out nice.

The Red FRAM Element I have now is 35 years old but fairly clean still. Careful tapping it against a 6X6 wood fence post. Tapping too aggressively starts to de-form the mesh!

It would be too much to ask for a RED element as in my FRAM which I'll never throw-out because it goes with the RED pancake air cleaner better than BLACK!

• Like 1

I have one of those Fram filters, too, new in the original box. I have never used it because I thought the black rubber flange ring looked better with the red filter housing. The Fram rubber flange looks orange to me.

• Like 2

Ed, that NAPA filter number is indeed a WIX number. That's where I first found it, on the WIX website. They say it is a Racing Filter.

O'Reilley also has it in their online system as Special Order. Rockauto does not.

I have 2 NOS filters here, a lifetime supply, so I am not going to order one. I was just trying to get people the information that could help them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am almost 2 years into trying to get a couple of these filters. WIX was the last manufacturer of these filters that I can deduce. No one that I have contacted, more than I can remember, have these in stock. With all of the auto order bots that everyone uses today, you aren't going to get a real time response on these filters. They'll take the order then cancel it when their supplier gets back to them with “no gratis”. Fortunately I do have a spare one, but wanted to get a couple more. I see a 16”x3” being ordered in the near future. 

I’m going to drive the wheels off by car. Was the plan when I bought it and still is.

Ray

• Like 1

I just talked to the counter guy at the local O’Reilly parts store.  I called and told him what I found on their website and would like to order one.  He looked it up and said it’s a special order. Me: From your warehouse? Him: No, from the manufacturer. Me: That’s typical.  

It’s not going to happen unless some discovers a cache of NOS ones on the top shelf, behind an old desk, which is covered with a tarp, and stacked with old personnel files, which are history because everything is now computerized. 

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I just talked to the counter guy at the local O’Reilly parts store.  I called and told him what I found on their website and would like to order one.  He looked it up and said it’s a special order. Me: From your warehouse? Him: No, from the manufacturer. Me: That’s typical.  

It’s not going to happen unless some discovers a cache of NOS ones on the top shelf, behind an old desk, which is covered with a tarp, and stacked with old personnel files, which are history because everything is now computerized. 

Wait a minute, guys...  Don't cross up the WIX number that matches the NOS filter, with the flange on top with the WIX number for the basic 16x3 racing filter.

I am sure you are not going to get the original style filter any more.

But I do think you will find the basic 16x3 racing filter 46974R, because it's less specialized.

Jim, et al 

The number that you gave to me earlier, 46974R, is the number I asked the counter man at O’Reilly’s to order for me. I covered this in my post of two hours ago.  I looked up the part number on the O’Reilly’s website. When it came up, it noted that it fit my 1964 Buick Riviera, which I have noted as “my vehicle” on their site. I saw no reference to it as a racing filter.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

It’s not going to happen unless some discovers a cache of NOS ones on the top shelf, behind an old desk

Which is the case with Legacy Bosch platinum sparkplug: WR9FP and supplied under at least 3 stock numbers for being pre-gapped to various specs. 4226 comes to mind. They are long discontinued but show-up occasionally as "Clearout" - LOL. Just have to be sharp to catch it with lots of screen time. Time you'll never get back! So, this Forum, good to share your time to help others!

Our Low MPG Nailheads will return even worse values with high differential filter elements.

A good Post here which heralds the end of this part but has us collaborating together. Unfortunately, no Cigar.

As for the air cleaner element, not likely to be like that Bosch sparkplug. Too small an application. I had hoped K&N would've stepped-up to the plate as their claim to fame were CUSTOM FILTER CHARGER Elements. Sure wish I purchased a spare before the window closed. 

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)