Powder Coating Lock Rings -- Good Idea?

RansomEli

I've got a couple of cars that use lock rings. I'm replacing the tires on both and wonder if there's any advantage to powder coating the lock rings. 

Powder coating would reduce any chipping but would it have a detrimental effect on the rings themselves?

I'm not sure powder coating reduces chipping. It is just paint without the solvent. Still a buildup of pigment in some heat soluble compound.

• Like 1

If your lock rings are pitted I believe  power coating  might be a problem.  I've been told the heating process in "Power Coating " will cook out any filler used. The finish on "Lock rings" is noticeable .  In metal plating the pits can be filled .  Keep us informed as to how things turn out.

12 hours ago, DFeeney said:

If your lock rings are pitted I believe  power coating  might be a problem.  I've been told the heating process in "Power Coating " will cook out any filler used. The finish on "Lock rings" is noticeable .  In metal plating the pits can be filled .  Keep us informed as to how things turn out.

I think powder will look good and hold up well if two conditions can be met:

1.  The surface of the lock rings is smooth and has no filler (as DFeeney said).

2.  You can re-install the rings without chipping.  (BTW, I think this can be done using trash bags.  I have done it with plated rings and painted wheels without a single scratch)

The unknown is whether the powder coat will flex sufficiently without cracking as the ring is installed.  My gut feeling is that it will, but no experience here.  Let us know how it works out should you give it a go.

I had this set of Marmon 19" wheels powder coated 5 years ago, not yet installed. Was reluctant to try filing or otherwise dealing with pitting, so powder coated them as is. Not as shiny obviously as chrome, but a fraction of the cost. Paid $400 total for all 4 wheels and rings. No issue re-fitting rings to wheel, just carefully with 2 guys.

IMG_4015.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_5053 (1).JPG

• Like 2

I powder-coated a set of 1941 Buick wheels. They had a fair amount of rust so they were given several coats with sanding in between. When I installed them they would not seat well because of the buildup on the center hole. I filed the holes down using inward strokes with a rat tail. They cleaned up fine and then seated properly. 

• Like 2

Alsfarms asked What Model Marmon do you have? I don't have a Marmon, a friend had purchased this set of wheels at a swap meet 40+ years ago and had no idea what they fit. I bought them from him 5 years ago as a possible option for a project I'm doing, the spokes hubs and rims were perfect, and only meaningful rust was on rings. Still haven't decided on a use. Apparently the numbering on back makes them 1929/30 Marmon I'm told. The hubcaps are Marmon, I have 3 as shown if anyone needs some.

I don't know, about that.

I have done a lot of work with lock rings, yes in the past, but still holds true today, and we were always super careful; and only inflated them in a OSHA approved cage.

We never heated the rings; or repaired bent/damaged ones.  We were working on trucks at that time.

Of course "looks or show wheels"; were not in our minds.  Getting it done safely; and not getting killed by a flying ring; was on our minds. We were shown pictures of the aftermath of wheel explosion's and   the damage to the safety cages, when a ring blew off. Unbelievable force, exerted by an explosion.

I read the comments that some people have had success with coatings on the rims and rings; Great!  Great they are here to post about it. 

Just be careful; you don't want to lose your head over a flying split ring.

intimeold

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, trimacar said:

I’d worry about thickness of powder coat where lug nuts or bolts contact wheel.  I’ve had a wheel come off while driving due to too much paint under lug nuts….a Model A….left rear wheel passed me on the road….

I agree with trimacar. 

I don't participate in judged car shows.  So, I use aluminum or silver paint often called "Okie Chrome".   When I am changing a flat tire on the road, I don't worry about damaging the finish on a seat ring or lock ring.  When I get home, I just pull out my "Okie Chrome" and touch up any blemishes.  

• Like 1

You can use Lap Metal to fill pits on wheels after you sandblast them before powder coating………it’s lots of work, but they come out great. I would not use powder coating on snap ring wheels personally. Drop centers is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shootey said:

So should I sand or file down the bolt holes to remove any powder coat buildup?

I suggest that you should start over & media blast to bare metal to remove any hidden rust or other imperfections. 

Then, prime and paint with satin finish Rustoleum from a rattle can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

You can use Lap Metal to fill pits on wheels

Spelling correction:

Lab Metal by Alvin Products.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best choice, in my opinion, for those lock rings is powder coating. My car's lock rings were powder coated five years ago, and up until this point, I haven't experienced any issues. You should powder coat it three to four times. Always try applying three to four layers of powder coating because reducing thickness won't give you corrosion control.