Large brass era touring car

Leif in Calif

I'd say 1910 or so.  Interesting to note that it has both a carbide generator and a Prestolite tank.  They must have upgraded and left the generator there.  Maybe that's why the spare tire was removed.  I suspect if you showed up on a tour with that dual setup you'd get some questions or raised eyebrows.

Here's a closeup.  There are some features that may allow someone to ID the car.  The control rods running alongside the steering column, the rear door/fender/splash apron shapes, hubcaps/wheels, lights ...

1310329054_317839749_580734793856965_5713528972478065542cropped.jpg.b137c7a5d02c6f33a61aaebf37e81c6d.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldford said:

1911 EMF, Note the horizontal molding on the rear doors... This unrestored one belongs to Tom Laferriere in Rhode Island...

1911 Studebaker EMF

I do agree the molding on the upper part of the rear door is similar.  However, there are still, in my view, several details on the EMF pictured above that are different from the OP.   For example, he rear door where it meets the rear fender, the shape of the bottom of the rear door, the hood hinge, the bead on the upper part of the hood, the steering column, etc. are all different .  Also, the OP shows external contracting brakes and the EMF looks to have internal expanding brakes.  Just my opinion.  I may be wrong. 

2 hours ago, 30sclassics said:

Attached are some photos of a 1909 Buick Model 19.  There are only minor differences from the O.P.  Note especially the match of the sheet metal cover over the front of the rear spring.  I found one photo which had the rear door molding at the very same height as the O.P.

buick_model_19_1909_wallpapers_1_1280x960.jpg

b2aeab5f46b88be357a257e403d69e82.jpg

I had also looked at the same pictures you've shown here thinking the OP might be a Model 19 Buick.

I think the lack of control rods running alongside the steering column rules out the Model 19 Buick.  Another very small detail to note in the OP is the support for the front roof bow.  It has quite an 'S'  curve to it while the Buick's is almost a right angle.

I thought I was very close with a 1909-10 Oakland 40 but it has a louvered hood.

8 hours ago, PFindlay said:

I think the lack of control rods running alongside the steering column rules out the Model 19 Buick.  Another very small detail to note in the OP is the support for the front roof bow.  It has quite an 'S'  curve to it while the Buick's is almost a right angle.

I thought I was very close with a 1909-10 Oakland 40 but it has a louvered hood.

Peter, I think you are correct with 1909 Oakland.  The first  picture below shows all of the correct details that match the OP:  fenders, radiator, hood, rear doors, etc.  The second picture shows a different Oakland touring, but with the control rod attached to the steering column as in the OP.

1909 Oakland.jpg

1909 Oakland Touring.jpg

Edited by modela28 (see edit history)

12 hours ago, modela28 said:

Also, the OP shows external contracting brakes and the EMF looks to have internal expanding brakes.  Just my opinion.  I may be wrong. 

I agree, there are some differences between the original photo and the one of the EMF. You could look at two different photos of 1911 EMF and see differences. Probably not unlike many makes of the time. Just for clarification the EMF had two brake systems. Internal expanding shoes operated by the hand brake and external contracting operated by the foot pedal.

Frank