Hidden Treasures

Leif in Calif

I have felt for a long time that what ever automotive jewel your heart may desire, it's probably in a garage or barn closer to you than you would ever imagine. As proof of this, a few years ago I mentioned to an older neighbor that I had an old Chrysler in my garage.  She said, oh really? I do too! Naturally I asked to see it and so we went to look. I expected a 62 New Yorker but there, under lots of boxes was a '33 CQ Imperial. It belonged to her grand father. She said she's not selling it because she thinks her son wants it. I'd be interested in hearing similar stories! 

image.jpeg.9550ea3630de1eed767228f7fee222d9.jpegimage.jpeg.a07d1425d9bfd06c1a741c6adae3995a.jpegimage.jpeg.4fd8f07cd49f4dfe2a9067abd2e7879a.jpeg

Edited by Leif in Calif
miss spelled (see edit history)
  • Like 9

One time, years ago, I was looking to rent a garage for

the one antique car I had.  I went to an old wood-framed

house in town, likely built 1910-1920, on a quiet street.

It had a garage in back.  I lifted the overhead door halfway,

walked in, and a beam of light spread across the floor.

I could see clearly the bottom half of the car in the half-

lighted space.  "Oh, an old Chrysler," I observed.  It was 

the early 1950's boxy type, I could tell.  Then my eyes

saw the Imperial crown on the hubcaps.  "An Imperial!"

I exclaimed further to myself.

Then, my eyes saw the rest of the car in the half-light.

"An Imperial convertible!" made only in 1951, I could see.

It was one of only 650 made.  The bottom of the car was

very rusty, and I never pursued it.  But I never found out

what happened to that car. 

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Will she sell the yellow pickup? I’d be interested.

No, that was her late husband's favorite. Her son is a car guy, but I've never seen him with either a pre-war car or a project. I think she'll be with us quite a while longer. She's going to be 89 soon, but she's one of those unstoppable people. She fell off the roof about 8 years ago when she was cleaning the gutters but as she said "I landed in the bushes so it wasn't too bad. Anyway, I was able to go back up and finish before everything started hurting". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I work over a wide range of area. One of my specialties is historic renovations so I have had access to a lot of old properties. In 40+ years I can only think of one car I found tucked away in a 'barn'. It was actually a newish pole building. We were doing some prep work on a newer house for estate of the recently deceased in prep for sale. I looked in the barn because I am always on the lookout for cars, and lo and behold there was one under cover. Turned out to be a late 80's Buick Grand National. I like those cars but not something on my bucket list. BUT, I thought if the price was right...............NOPE, it was one of the only things there that owners son wanted.

They aren't all tucked away in garages and barns.  This happened maybe 30 years ago. Now, it is about 5 miles from our shop to my home. I pass thru another small town before I get to the small town I live in.  I drove thru that small town at least 10,000 times. Figure twice a day for 15 years or so.  On the day in question I was heading to the shop and just happened to glance to my left between two houses while driving thru the town and noticed an old car sitting behind one of the houses. That weekend I stopped at the house and the car in the backyard happened to be a '39 Cadillac 60 Special. I asked the owner when the car was put there, had to be recently.  His reply?  "That thing has been sitting there 20+ years".  I then noticed the wheels were sunk maybe 8 inches in the mud, verifying what he said.  Ended up buying the car which was actually in pretty good shape.  Sometimes cars are hiding in plain view.

• Like 4

My 25 dodge woody was the same way Sitting under a ripped up tarp ina a back yard for 31 years Ten years of bugging I finally got it Running and driving now  The recent find 1934 dodge dr rumble seat coupe found last June After a mild engine re build its going to be my daily driver next summer John 

8AA76F0F-EA83-4AA6-BE16-6AA5BA026A50.jpeg

5B2812BB-5125-4D7C-B909-93357EC98C34.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, Leif in Calif said:

I have felt for a long time that what ever automotive jewel your heart may desire, it's probably in a garage or barn closer to you than you would ever imagine. As proof of this, a few years ago I mentioned to an older neighbor that I had an old Chrysler in my garage.  She said, oh really? I do too! Naturally I asked to see it and so we went to look. I expected a 62 New Yorker but there, under lots of boxes was a '33 CQ Imperial. It belonged to her grand father. She said she's not selling it because she thinks her son wants it. I'd be interested in hearing similar stories! 

image.jpeg.9550ea3630de1eed767228f7fee222d9.jpegimage.jpeg.a07d1425d9bfd06c1a741c6adae3995a.jpegimage.jpeg.4fd8f07cd49f4dfe2a9067abd2e7879a.jpeg

Thank you for posting pictures!  I’m curious if you recall the body color?  I can’t be sure from the picture.

In my neighborhood is one of those properties where the piles of junk in the yard hide the house. Think Sanford and Son. A 1939 Mercury 4 door sedan could be seen at a certain angle behind and between the piles. I stopped and inquired about it about 10 years ago. He gave a ridiculous price. One day I passed and the doors to one of the buildings was open and the Mercury was inside. I guess they finally got tired of inquiries and moved it. The additional accumulation of junk now hides the house and all the buildings. I wonder if they still have the Mercury. I really like that car but I'm still working on my 1940 Lasalle. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

ALL THESE WERE WITHIN SEVERAL MILES OF WHERE I GREW UP:

1949 PLYMOUTH BUSINESS COUPE - WAS SITTING BEHIND A BUILDING. I ONLY SAW THE HOOD ORNAMENT WHILE DRIVING BY. TURNED AROUND AND BOUGHT IT ($100)

1970'S OPEL GT UP ON JACKSTANDS FOR YEARS IN A DRIVEWAY - TRIED TO BUY IT BUT NO DICE - THEN IT WAS GONE

1949 DODGE CORONET SEDAN - SAT IN A GARAGE ACROSS FROM THE PARK I PLAYED IN ALMOST EVERY DAY - BOUGHT IT FOR $100

1960 MERCURY COMET SEDAN - ALWAYS SAW IT BEING DRIVEN AROUND TOWN THEN NOTICED IT SITTING IN THE DRIVEWAY NOT BEING DRIVEN - BOUGHT IT FOR $50

1949 FRAZER 4-DOOR CONVERTIBLE - SAT IN A GARAGE FOR 40+ YEARS - COULDN'T CONVINCE THE OWNER TO SELL IT TO ME.

OWNER DIED AND THE CAR WAS MOVED - THIS IS THE ONE THAT HAS HAUNTED ME ALL MY LIFE.....

1962 FORD FALCON SPRINT - SAT IN A GARAGE NEXT TO MY FRIENDS HOUSE - BOUGHT IT FOR $50

1939 PACKARD - SAT IN A DRIVEWAY FOR YEARS WHILE I WAS GROWING UP - STOPPED ONE DAY (WHEN I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE) - OWNER TOLD ME HE JUNKED IT

1936 PONTIAC RUMBLE SEAT COUPE - SAT IN A GARAGE FOR YEARS - COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT BUT DIDN'T HAVE $6000.00

1971-72 OLDS 442 SAT IN A GARAGE FOR YEARS - I USED TO CUT THE OWNERS LAWN - WOULDN'T SELL IT

1958 CADILLAC SEDAN - SAT IN A GARAGE FOR YEARS - TRIED TO GET IT TO RUN - NO DICE - DIDN'T BUY IT

1955 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE - SAT IN A GARAGE FOR YEARS - BOUGHT IT FOR $1000.00

1960 FALCON 4-DOOR - MY UNCLES FRIEND OWNED IT AND I SAID I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BUYING IT - A FEW WEEKS LATER  MY UNCLE PULLS INTO MY DRIVEWAY (IN A BIG HURRY) AND HANDS ME $20 - HE SAID WHEN MR ??? GETS HERE WITH HE FALCON PAY HIM THE $20.

CAR NEED A NEW RADIATOR CAP AND THE OWNER WAS GOING TO JUNK IT

I COULD GO ON AND ON WITH MANY, MANY MORE......

I THINK I WILL: INCLUDING SOME FROM LATER ON IN MY LIFE

MY FRIEND TOOK THE TRAIN TO AND FROM WORK EVERY DAY - HE TOLD ME THERE WAS AN OLD CAR BEHIND SOME BUILDINGS - HE SAW IT AS THE TRAIN PASSED OVER A BRIDGE - I HUNTED IT DOWN - 1949 DESOTO SUBURBAN SEDAN (ONE OF 129 MADE) - BOUGHT IT FOR $100 - I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER ONE

MY GIRLFRIENDS MOTHERS FRIEND HAD A CAR SITTING IN THE YARD FOR YEARS - WAS SUNK IN PRETTY GOOD - HAD A SMALL TREE GROWING THROUGH THE FRONT BUMPER... SHE TALKED THE FRIEND INTO SELLING IT TO ME - $100 - GOT THE CAR RUNNING BUT IT WAS TOO RUSTY TO SAVE - IT WAS A 1950 DESOTO CARRY-ALL SEDAN - ANOTHER "NOT-SO-MANY MADE" CAR

1963 MERCURY BREEZEWAY SEDAN - SITTING IN THE STREET FOR A FEW YEARS - WAS ABLE TO BUY IT

SAME DRIVEWAY AS THE AFORMENTIONED FRAZER CONVERTIBLE - THERE SAT IN THE DRIVEWAY A 1956 OLDSMOBILE 88 SEDAN - AFTER I MET THE OWNER AND WE BECAME FRIENDS I WAS GIVEN THE OLDS 

1936 BUICK SEDAN (2) SAT IN A BARN/LEAN-TO FOR MANY YEARS - WAS ABLE TO PURCHASE ONE 

1963 BUICK RIVIERA SAT IN A DRIVEWAY FOR MANY YEARS - COULDN'T BUY THAT ONE

1966 CHEVY PICKUP SITTING IN A DRIVEWAY - BOUGHT THAT ONE

1980 CHEVY S-10 SITTING IN A DRIVEWAY - BOUGHT THAT ONE

DOWN THE BLOCK FROM MY GIRLFRIENDS HOUSE:

A VOLVO PV544 SAT IN A DRIVEWAY FOR YEARS - NOT FOR SALE

AROUND THE CORNER FROM THE VOLVO IN A GARAGE WAS A 1939 LASALLE WOODY WAGON - NOT FOR SALE

ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY GRAMMAR SCHOOL - IN A GARAGE - A 1960'S SAAB 93 TWO-STROKER - WAS OFFERED THE CAR BUT TURNED IT DOWN

1960'S STUDEBAKER HAWK - SITTING (BUT RUNNING) IN A GARAGE BY MY KIDS HIGH SCHOOL - NOT FOR SALE BUT LATER WAS SOLD IN THE ESTATE SALE - MISSED IT

MY NEIGHBOR HAD A 1965 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE IN HIS GARAGE - OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I ALREADY HAD (HAVE) ONE SO TURNED IT DOWN

AS A KID MY NEIGHBOR HAD A 1970'S FORD LTD WOODY WAGON IN THE GARAGE - BOUGHT IT

MY NEIGHBOR ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME (WHEN I WAS 14 YEARS OLD) HAD A 1961 CHRYSLER WINDSOR SITTING IN HIS BARN/GARAGE - HE WOUND UP GIVING IT TO ME - I SOLD IT TO MY BROTHERS FRIEND FOR $50 - AND THAT'S WHAT STARTED THE "DISEASE" FOR ME

LATER IN LIFE THERE WAS A 1957 T-BIRD (ONE OF THE LAST ONES BUILT) SITTING OUTSIDE AN OLDER GUYS HOUSE - STOPPED IN AND TALKED TO HIM FOR HOURS -  I HAD ASKED IF HE WOULD SELL THE CAR - HE SAID NOT RIGHT NOW BUT TO COME BACK WHEN HE WAS FEELING BETTER -WENT BACK SEVERAL MONTHS LATER - HE HAD PASSED AWAY AND THE CAR WAS GONE

1970 BEETLE WAS ALWAYS SEEN DRIVING AROUND MY TOWN AND IT WAS PARKED IN A GARAGE LESS THAN A MILE FROM ME - STOPPED IN ONE DAY AND SPOKE TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER - HE SAID HE HAD A LIST OF PEOPLE THAT WANTED THE CAR AND ADDED MY NAME TO IT - SEVERAL MONTHS LATER I GET "THE" CALL - BOUGHT IT

SAME NEIGHBORHOOD - IN A GARAGE - 1970'S BEETLE SITTING IN A GARAGE (UNDER THE HOUSE) - BOUGHT IT

THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE CARS I SAW/PURCHASED WITHIN A FEW MILE RADIUS OF WHERE I WAS LIVING

THERE HAVE BEEN MANY,MANY MORE THAT WERE BOUGHT BUT WERE FURTHER THAN WHAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED "LOCAL"

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
ADD TO IT (see edit history)
  • Like 3