Rewiring a 1930 Rolls Royce 20/25.

Dandy Dave

Yes, a ladder diagram for a vehicle with only 8 loads.  I assume two headlamps, two parking lamps, two taillamps and two brake lights.:D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yes, a ladder diagram for a vehicle with only 8 loads.  I assume two headlamps, two parking lamps, two taillamps and two brake lights.:D

This slow moving vehicle, if anything, would have had head lights to see at night and one tail lamp as tractors of the 1950's did. Also instrument panel lights to see the gages. No parking or brake lights. No signals. It was pushed behind with a bulldozer to load it so unless the lights in the rear were well protected they would have been broken in no time in the rough enviorment. It has air brakes. No spring brakes like a modern road tractor so it will roll without air pressure. Need to stop with no brakes! Just drop the bowl. 🤓 Dandy Dave!

The wires are all pulled though the conduit. Whew! 😅 More new wire on the floor. Wires for the Switch box pulled threw the fire wall to connect to the Disturbution box. Every wire end has been soldered also. Ignition switch now under the dash and connected.

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

What a challenging job, nice work.. I notice in a couple of the recent photos a bundle of 6 wires or so coming through the firewall into area under dash in a fairly tight hole. Were these initially sheathed or otherwise protected from abrasion? 

The wires are enclosed in a flex pipe tube that is under the dash and goes between the Switch Box and the Fire Wall as seen in the photos.

The firewall conduit is installed. What a PITA. 😬 To many zigzags. Too much stuff in the way. Too many say "old stuff is easy to work on." Phewy. 😵 It took hours to get it right but like Prego, It's in there. 😜 All them little wires tucked in like a bug snug in a rug. I slept well last night knowing all was right with the old Rolls. 🧐 Dandy Dave!

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 5:14 AM, Dandy Dave said:

The wires are all pulled though the conduit. Whew! 😅 More new wire on the floor. Wires for the Switch box pulled threw the fire wall to connect to the Disturbution box. Every wire end has been soldered also. Ignition switch now under the dash and connected.

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

Ay Chihuahua!

• Like 1

Looks like Wiremold to me!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Knowing nothing about electrical things and not wishing to see any cars burn up in the ensuing fire is running the wires in conduit a fire prevention feature other brands just couldn't afford to offer?

Not so sure it would prevent a fire Bob. A wire could still short on a sharp edge. Get hot and start other wires on fire. Especially if the short was full on power. That is why we have fuses for all but a few necessary wires like the main feed from the battery to the Distribution Box. It would burn slower, but it could still burn. Dandy Dave 

Looky there. Them wires is finally behaving and where they belong. 😁 The owner says I could spend a month at confession for my potty mouth if I was a Catholic to get them wires they way they needed to be. 😬 It sure looks nice with the cover on. Dandy Dave!

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

• Like 4

Anyone ever seen a rectangle signal flasher? All the years I have worked on stuff this is my first one shaped like this. All the ones I have seen are either two prong or three prong round. This one clearly has, "Signal Stat" stamped in it. 

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Having gone through this recently with my 1936 Chrysler, I can honestly say that I would MUCH rather do my Chrysler than your Rolls Royce.  🙂

By the way, putting my electrical engineering hat on for a moment, I would recommend that you reroute any wire where the insulation of the wire is touching (under compression) the bare metal from another wire, such as the yellow wire and green wire in the image below.  If the wires are cloth covered teflon, the cloth can abrade and the teflon can cold flow, creating a short.  Yes, it will take a combination of time and/or vibration for this to occur, but if you want this wiring to last without failure, now is the time to correct these issues.

Good Luck and nice job!

Joe

42414F7A-A122-47E3-A526-CB1182659B02.jpeg

Edited by Professor (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Professor said:

Having gone through this recently with my 1936 Chrysler, I can honestly say that I would MUCH rather do my Chrysler than your Rolls Royce.  🙂

By the way, putting my electrical engineering hat on for a moment, I would recommend that you reroute any wire where the insulation of the wire is touching (under compression) the bare metal from another wire, such as the yellow wire and green wire in the image below.  If the wires are cloth covered teflon, the cloth can abrade and the teflon can cold flow, creating a short.  Yes, it will take a combination of time and/or vibration for this to occur, but if you want this wiring to last without failure, now is the time to correct these issues.

Good Luck and nice job!

Joe

42414F7A-A122-47E3-A526-CB1182659B02.jpeg

I was thinking just that a few days ago. I'll take a second look now. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

Hmmm. Must be the locale. Around here things run like a Singer Sewing Machine!😀

• Haha 1

Front lights are installed. The side lights had rust in the connecting bolts, nuts, and hardware. I had to take them completely apart and clean all connecting hardware to insure a good ground. Rear lights will be delt with today.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More light photos. I have the dippers sorted. The lights dip opposite of what they would here. They dip down and to the left rather than down and to the right. That makes it correct for a car that spent the first half of it's life in London and around the English countryside. Right hand drive automobiles and lorries, and left hand driven roads don't you know. Dandy Dave!

IMG_4934.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

More light photos. I have the dippers sorted. The lights dip opposite of what they would here. They dip down and to the left rather than down and to the right. That makes it correct for a car that spent the first half of it's life in London and around the English countryside.

Interesting, as owner's handbooks for many British cars still labeled the high beam switch a 'dipper switch' even though the headlights no longer physically moved.

Craig

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Hmmm. Must be the locale. Around here things run like a Singer Sewing Machine!😀

Edinmass would also confess that the White is all around smoother running and more power that the Singer. 😁

• Like 2

And Singer made "stuff" for the space program and other terrestrial projects.👍 Just not vehicles or small engines. Husqvarna makes small engines in addition to sewing machines. Wait, the topic is drifting. I'll have to get a boat anchor.

Great work on those front lights!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

And Singer made "stuff" for the space program and other terrestrial projects.👍 Just not vehicles or small engines. Husqvarna makes small engines in addition to sewing machines.

Singer became a huge holding company where by the end of the 1970's the sewing machine division became a mere speck in their product portfolio, and was no longer profitable enough to please the shareholders. They sold the sewing machine division around that time, and through a series of buyouts and mergers since that time, I believe the sewing machine part of Singer is now part of Husqvarna's as well as the remnants of White's sewing machine division.

To keep it 'on topic', I have seen power window switches in early 80's Ford products that were made by Singer.

Craig

• Like 1

Yes. Through 1970 or so. No relation to Singer Sewing Machines, though. They became part of the Rootes Group in their later years.

• Thanks 2