Happy Independence Day!

We ENJOY are freedom today, and for me and my wife we also celebrate our little girl's birthday, she is now 43 years old, wow wear did the time go!

as the song goes "born on the fourth of July"

Bob

• Like 2

Happy Birthday America!

2 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

We ENJOY are freedom today, and for me and my wife we also celebrate our little girl's birthday, she is now 43 years old, wow wear did the time go!

as the song goes "born on the fourth of July"

Bob

And Happy Birthday to your daughter as well. Today was my Dads birthday also, he would have been 87 this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We honor those that contributed to the great freedom we have in a great country and I also think about all the thoughtful people right here on these forums, who make our lives so much better every day ( well mostly 😇) many whom I have never met in person . Savor the time, the moment and be thankful for all that we have and are able to do. Life is so very short .

Walt

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Seemed like the Bi-Centennial celebration was just a few years ago!  

I was going into the seventh grade that summer. I went with my neighbors to Valley Forge for the day. President Ford arrived via helicopter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Take  time from the parades, car shows, picnics, etc. today to remember what we are celebrating today. And enjoy the freedom we have to do whatever we want. Happy 4th!

214B9E9F-EE52-4E24-98A7-85F95FB7C02B.jpeg

We are not exactly celebrating the freedom to do what we want to today, just that today was the day that the thirteen colonies declared independence from British rule, hence taxation without representation in British Parliament.   

2 hours ago, John348 said:

We are not exactly celebrating the freedom to do what we want to today, just that today was the day that the thirteen colonies declared independence from British rule, hence taxation without representation in British Parliament.   

Reading comprehension - poor.😁 I didn’t say what you’re saying. I said take time to remember what we are celebrating today. ……………And enjoy the freedom to do whatever we want.😁

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with John 348 and felt the OP suggested celebrating Independence and that it resulted in Freedom. While Independence Day celebrates being freed from British rule among the original 13 colonies, as far as I know it does not represent anything else. As we all know, the 2 terms Independence and Freedom are far from synonyms. Freedom is becoming more and more in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks 1

Spent the day with family, enjoying great food, and then pulled up the Bloomberg Channel to watch the fireworks over the Charles and the long-awaited concert at Boston Common by the Boston Pops, conducted by Keith Lockhart with tributes to musical geniuses John Williams and Arthur Fiedler - and culminating with Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s complete 1812 Overture - surely a high point for Musicians, music lovers, and any one who appreciates remembrance of “The Rockets’ Red Glare”.

By the way, Arthur Fiedler was known on occasion, to abandon his conducting podium to chase after Fire Engines - a musician after my own heart!

EF23C899-A874-469F-A98B-A1A00B39B194.jpeg

• Like 2