Local car show observations

Den41Buick

2 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

For what it is worth, an Optima battery is AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery and it takes a special type of charger.  Many newer chargers are set up for AGM batteries, but not all.   You need to check the charger.

An old style charger may not work, especially if it is discharged..i was told the trickle is set up for that and it was new when I got the battery. 

image.jpg

New technology is not always good. It was built using an old style battery and that what she likes. Nothing wrong with that she just is set in her ideas of what is right and what isn’t her style. Give her what she wants and I bet she will be a happy camper. I know she is a darn good looking lady and deserves to be treated with the utmost care. 
I’m not trying to be a male chauvinist pig by calling your car a ‘she’ or ‘lady’ it’s just a fine looking car and I’ve always called my cars  ‘she’s’ besides I’ve never known a guy to look that good just ladies have that virtue. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

image.jpg

Manual says that it should work.

Use the charger for charging only 6 and 12V LEAD-ACID (STD, AGM or deep-

cycle) rechargeable batteries with recommended rated capacities of 12Ah (6V)

and 7-33Ah (12V). It is not intended to supply power to a low voltage electrical

system other than in a starter-motor application. Do not use battery charger for

charging dry-cell batteries that are commonly used with home appliances.

These batteries may burst and cause injury to persons and damage to property

• Like 1

A group 29NF battery should work and more importantly FIT fine in your 57. 

The Retractable has a lot of electrical load, but I think a 29NF with a properly operating charging system should be able to carry it.

And you should be able to take the Skyliner to a show, cruise or C&C without worrying whether or not it will start!🙂

• Like 1

Hey guys, thank you all and sorry, I didn’t mean to hijack this thread. Seems it’s the starter and not the battery after all. Also am going to look into getting the carb rebuilt because there is a lot of gas leaking. Forgot about that before. I’ve always had issues with the fuel accelerator, but not sure if that’s what is causing it. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. Glad you found another issue, not that you have another issue but that you found the problem. I know you have a Ford but Pontiacs are notorious for being hard on starters esp. when the motor gets hot. I had mine crap out on me at a show. Car was parked in the middle of town and dead. Had to get a tow home. Installed a new mini starter and have never had a problem since. BUT, I am just now (3 years later) getting comfortable going out thinking it will start up again. The other issue I had was the alternator went bad and I went through what I thought was 2 bad batteries before I figured that one out.

As for your insurance, I think I would be giving them a call first thing in the morning. If you pay for extra service it should be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Avanti Bill, where is this cars and coffee?  I am located in Cecil co., 1/2 hr from Bel Air. I frequent the area often. I see there is one at the starbucks that I have been wanting to get to but havent pulled the plug yet. 

The Bel Air Plaza, between Starbucks and Bed Bath and Beyond, every Sunday May till it is too cold 7:00-9:00.  Look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks Bill. My son and I have been talking about going for awhile now. I actually planned on going this past weekend but it was still a bit rainy/wet early Sunday morning so I took a pass. As of now I am planning on heading out this coming week. I will look for you Avanti if you are there.

Just a thought, Several years ago I bought two optima batteries online for the truck part of my motor coach.

I had a tender on them for a full winter only to find that they would not hold charge after that.

Since I bought online I had no place to go for warrantee short of shipping them back to Summit or wherever it was that I bought them.

So bought a couple of batteries from the local auto parts store that are still doing their job. (keep reading)

What I am getting at is that the optima's may be damaged by constant tending. I also think that wet batteries could certainly have similar issues.

I now use timers on all of the batteries that are tending. (I have several) One hour a day.  No problems since.

I am no battery expert, but I think I may be on to something here. Cuz its working for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JACK M said:

Just a thought, Several years ago I bought two optima batteries online for the truck part of my motor coach.

I had a tender on them for a full winter only to find that they would not hold charge after that.

Since I bought online I had no place to go for warrantee short of shipping them back to Summit or wherever it was that I bought them.

So bought a couple of batteries from the local auto parts store that are still doing their job. (keep reading)

What I am getting at is that the optima's may be damaged by constant tending. I also think that wet batteries could certainly have similar issues.

I now use timers on all of the batteries that are tending. (I have several) One hour a day.  No problems since.

I am no battery expert, but I think I may be on to something here. Cuz its working for me.

In this case I should probably buy a standard battery and get rid of the Optima. My tender doesn’t have a timer. Thanks for the info Jack. :)
For now I am going to replace the starter and find someone to rebuild the carb I have (early Autolight 1200, in case you know someone).  

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

In this case I should probably buy a standard battery and get rid of the Optima. My tender doesn’t have a timer. Thanks for the info Jack. :)
For now I am going to replace the starter and find someone to rebuild the carb I have (early Autolight 1200, in case you know someone).  

You can just buy a timer for a table light and plug it into the charger.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Indoor-24-Hour-Mechanical-Outlet/dp/B01LPSGBZS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=32666Z4UNK62N&keywords=light+timer&qid=1657079224&sprefix=light+timer%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSkcxQ0o1ODhENlJFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE4NzYyMVcyNVo0TEQwWEhSMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzIyOTQ4MlJYMUNQREhLQ01GMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Years ago I was told that tool batteries should not be charged continuously, so I did just this. Bought a $5 timer and plugged them into that. Had it so it would cycle on and off for a few hours a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been going to a car show near me in Akron Ohio on Fathers Day since the 70's.  It is put on by the Northern Ohio Region CCCA but the show is open to all AS ORIGINAL, pre 1975 cars of various classes similar to AACA. Cars must be pre-registered and they process the applications to verify the car's originality. The venue is on the grounds of a preserved mansion that belonged to an Akron Tire manufacturer, I believe Harvey Firestone. They used to draw over 1,000 cars but over the years, the preservation society has expanded the gardens and planted trees and the available display area has been reduced in half.  They have no problem filling the field with their 500 or 600 original car limit.  Registered cars come from hours away from PA and IN. It also pack in spectators. I did not enter a car this year. I arrived about noon and at that time they already had signs up near spectator entrance "EVENT SOLD OUT".  They were only allowing pre-sold ticket holders in. I did not have a ticket but I winked at the young girls at the gate taking tickets and they let me in. The place was packed.

Brass and up thru the 70's and some vintage motor cycles as well. Only 1 Duesenberg though. Back in the 70's & 80's 3 or 4 might show up. You don't need hot rods, modified cars or loud music to bring in crowd.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jdome said:

I have been going to a car show near me in Akron Ohio on Fathers Day since the 70's.  It is put on by the Northern Ohio Region CCCA but the show is open to all AS ORIGINAL, pre 1975 cars of various classes similar to AACA. Cars must be pre-registered and they process the applications to verify the car's originality. The venue is on the grounds of a preserved mansion that belonged to an Akron Tire manufacturer, I believe Harvey Firestone.

The Stan Hywet home belonged to Seiberling, one of the founders of Goodyear

• 2 months later...

PIcking up this old thread, I went to a local show today.  Consistent with the theme of the the thread, about half of the cars were new.  There's some significant wealth around here, so there were a bunch of Lambos, Ferraris, etc. My '34 Packard was the only non-Ford pre-war car. 

A few photos, for those interested: 

My favorites were probably these two Model Ts, driven by two older gentlemen.  The guy who has the '15 bought it in 1968; the guy who has the '14 bought it in 1975.  They caravaned together the show.  Gotta love the horseless carriage club crowd.

IMG_3704.JPG.acfaacff6042c8e8fad2c6c143148faa.JPGIMG_3705.JPG.c811561384e498a4973a0707c3f01ff4.JPG

There was a very nice pair of '58 Edsels.  You don't see the top-of-the-line Citation convertible often. 

IMG_3695.JPG.2aa556cec58d398575c8a8bfd005f00d.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG.a7bf17aa4d4cebfdb940e31f86beaafd.JPG

• Like 1

The 34 is stunning and great to see you getting it out for some air.  Those early Corvettes are very cool imho, one would likely fit in that short garage space you mentioned a while ago Orin. 🤔😊

Here in CT we have a list of 6 or 7 shows that draw decent numbers of earlier stuff out of maybe 25 or 30 regular, established annual shows. 

We Opted to take the 40 Packard for a drive last weekend vs. Attend a show 5 miles up the road.  No regrets when I saw cars posted online afterwards, 75% modifieds, etc.   We did drive out to a local show a couple weeks ago but weather kept a lot of folks home.  We parked next to a T with an authentic custom camper type body on it. That is the signage behind us.  Jury is out on this show, which has drawn some cool cars in the past.

20220911_091604.jpg

• Like 2