Mid Atlantic Chevelle show in MD 6/25/22. Only Chevelles.

TAKerry

Mid Atlantic Chevelle show in MD this past weekend. Only Chevelles. Its a good show with some really nice cars, and a good turnout. Nice going to a show as a spectator, walk around look at the goods then get back on the road.

52176792507_2333098bb7_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-24-11 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177812193_8f01fc95af_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-20-17 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177809711_e7673998a8_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-20-25 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177812361_f01598e49e_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-21-00 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52178057639_e674545ed9_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-20-33 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52178302710_de0f3660d6_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-20-42 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 7

These cars are original condition, not restored. A couple were unbelievably nice!!

52177817791_f861dc48e4_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-21-54 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177821828_5082f76156_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-19 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52178309835_9c3b0075a2_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-10 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177818316_ab84368442_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-27 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177818371_f0b4141944_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-35 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52176791432_8f8a577bcf_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-43 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

52177822368_e88af03e65_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-22-51 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

And the lone oddball. Had a club sticker in the window so I assumed it belonged to one of the organizers.

52178311005_fdce149d35_c.jpg2022-06-27_04-23-14 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 6

I took my '78 GMC Caballero to a Chevelle meet once and was snubbed. In more recent years, it's been getting more attention, partly because it's all original and partly because it's a one owner. Only about 10% of El Caminos were badged as Caballeros.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Mid Atlantic Chevelle show in MD 6/25/22. Only Chevelles.

Kerry, I’m not really into Chevelles but think it is one of the better looking cars of the era. I never knew there were that many different models. Looks like you enjoyed the day. Thanks for posting all the pics. Great way for us to enjoy a show. 
dave s 

• Like 3

Dave, I am like you. When I was in HS (77-82) Chevelles and Camaros were a dime a dozen. Big block SS's (real ones) were the rage. I have always been a bit of a nonconformist and my 'car' was a pick up truck. To me the Chevys were over done, and seemed like everyone had one, nothing special. Even today I think they are nice but again there are a lot of them out there. By chance I ended up with a '66 convertible that I plan to restore one of these days just because. I would not have paid money for it, but being it was given to me it was a no brainer. Now if it was a 66 GTO, that would be a different story, LOL. This is a large show, in a nice little town that makes a good drive. Always fun to go to. I def. respect the owners for the work that has been put into them.

• Like 1

Great pics!  HS yep,class of 81.

F bodies 6 or 8, including mine.

Chevelles, 8 or 10 

Tri Fives 3 or 4, more counting years immediately past HS

Mustangs 8 or 10

Mopars, not as many, so they go in one bucket, 6 or 7

GTO, none in the years I was in school, couple of Lemans though.

Corvette 3, including one 66 upper classman was restoring it was a nice car.  His daily was a new Dodge van customized of course.

Pick ups, a few.

Jeep, one CJ

The first pic of the black Chevelle reminded me of my friend's, later mine.  Car had very minor front end damage (he rear ended an old lady while waving to another kid on foot..) when I got it, tired of it quickly and I ultimately sold it to Don's Speed shop here in Newington for a couple hundred bucks.  It would easily be a $7k or more project today.  Prices on these have gone nuts.

Neighbor pulled cover off his red, 6 cylinder 66 or 67 convertible this year after 20+ years of dead, outside storage.  Haven't been up close yet but will report on it later... 😁

• Like 1

Kerry, I’ve got you by 18 years and in the mid 60’s I went from a 57 DeSoto small hemi gun boat to beat up old MGA’s and Austin Healy’s, talk about an outlier. 
I always laughed in the parking lot when I had the MG in a close spot parked between two big old early 50’s cars and seeing the expressions on faces when they thought they found a place only to see the Sports car. 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TerryB said:

Did you see any 1973 or later Chevelles in the mix?  One of my favorite Chevy model lines.

The Chevelle (and Cutlass, Tempest and Skylark) crowd has this mindset that GM didn't build cars after 1972.

Having grown up with Colonnades I always liked them. A high school friend still has the 1973 Chevelle SS454 he bought senior year on bagboy money, along with two others he's picked up over the years. I tell him anytime the Chevelles still look great- what happened to him?😈 And, as in 1974, he still tells me to do anatomically impossible things to myself!

I am amazed to see at least two of these Chevelles still have their six-bangers, and others are still wearing their factory WHEELCOVERS😲.

That would be unheard of around here, where they stick Chevy Rallys on everything- even non Chevrolets- and turn every Chevelle into a big-block 4-speed.

• Like 4

Back in 1969,a coworker bought a brand new big block Chevelle. Less than 4 months later he traded it in on a brand new MGB. Even back then you had to have a good paying job to afford to feed that beast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is an internet photo I found of the 1973 Chevelle SS 350ci I bought new in July 1973.  Same color as mine and nearly identical wheels.  The tin worms ate mine from the get go.  I got rid of it in 1977 after having the rear fender wells redone twice.  When the metal around the rear turn signals began to rust out that was it for me.  My car was automatic, swivel buckets, no A/C, AM radio.

8C8643C8-B2D6-4E2B-A335-83361FCFA507.jpeg

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Having just sold my 1970 Chevelle Malibu I do like to see pictures of them, but I don't  think I ever want another. Prefer 68-72 Buick Skylark's now.

I know, same chassis etc. But a smoother ride and far less common.

canday22 210.jpg

canday22 090.jpg

• Like 1

Most of these old Chevelles were untroduced in the mid to late 1960's when I was out of the country in uniform.   Didn't have time to follow them or care much about them.   By the time I got back, they were just used cars.

If they arn't older then I am, they're just shopping center cars.   I had a few, but just for transportation to me.   Nice display though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Having just sold my 1970 Chevelle Malibu I do like to see pictures of them, but I don't  think I ever want another. Prefer 68-72 Buick Skylark's now.

I know, same chassis etc. But a smoother ride and far less common.

You simply moved up in the world as per Alfred Sloan's 'Car for Every Purse and Purpose' mandate.

Craig

• Like 4

On 7/2/2022 at 5:36 PM, 8E45E said:

You simply moved up in the world as per Alfred Sloan's 'Car for Every Purse and Purpose' mandate.

Craig

Yes. The GM Sloan mantra! 

But the resale value of the Chevelle's  is much more than an ever better equipped Skylark. Going back to the 50's era cars it's the same. Plain Jane Chevy's bring more than Buick's.  Silly but true.

canday22 211.jpg

On 7/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, 8E45E said:

Craig

Alfred Sloan's 'Car for Every Purse and Purpose'.  

That was certainly Sloans idea of moving people into the higher elevation of GM ownership. You will see however that in the 40's and 50's that it was not the case. Buick in many of those years outsold Plymouth, Mercury, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Dodge and captured 3rd place in overall domestic sales. Buick didn't achieve this because their cars were better, Buick achieved this because they undercut their competitors. Look at GM pricing for example in the late 40's threw 1955, there are many years you will see that price leader Buicks cut below Oldsmobile and sometimes dipping into Pontiac price leading cars. This was totally against Sloans policy. It must have really infuriated the people at Olds and Pontiac seeing this happening.

Example 1955 Buick Special 2 dr. sedan $2233, 1955 Olds 88 2 dr. sed. $2297.

The pricing structure was supposed to look like this. The cheapest Buick would dip below the most expensive Oldsmobile, and so on down to Pontiac and from Pontiac to Chevrolet.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Kinda like when they tried to take the Series 90 and Limited into Cadillac territory? or the GNX into Corvette's? And got their hands slapped?🙂

I've often heard it said Buick didn't seem to understand its place in the GM hierarchy. I guess when the brand was pretty much GM's cornerstone they thought they could have succeeded on their own, and had their own cars for every price point.

2 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Kinda like when they tried to take the Series 90 and Limited into Cadillac territory? or the GNX into Corvette's? And got their hands slapped?🙂

I've often heard it said Buick didn't seem to understand its place in the GM hierarchy. I guess when the brand was pretty much GM's cornerstone they thought they could have succeeded on their own, and had their own cars for every price point.

Yes, exactly. late 30's and early 40-41 series 90 was a real competitor to Cadillac, so what is the missing factor?

Alfred Sloan and Big Bill Knudsen gave Harlow Curtis the chance to bring up an ailing Buick. When Harlow Curtis was president, he remembered this and picked Big Bill Knudsen's son Bunkie Knudsen to resurrect Pontiac in 1956.

Curtis brought Buick out of the doldrums by undercutting mostly Oldsmobile

Bunkie Knudsen brought Pontiac out of the doldrums by making an old man's car into a young man's car through marketing, styling and most importantly by going racing.

Always seeking the underdog, I'd have spent my time hovering around the sixes and the El Caminos. My father had a series of the latter when I was a kid. Funny, the other week Mom was talking about how Dad was "always messing with his Chevelles" but out of some 80 cars he never owned one. 

I've been reading back issues of Consumer Reports from 1972; they were head over heels for the full-size Chevy that year, but in the intermediate class they ranked the 'A' bodies dead last, behind the Matador. (They really swooned over the all-new Torino.) Proof that, while not as handsome, it was time to bring on the Colonnades. 

Edited by Bryan G
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1