64 Driver's Seat

Moose2

My '64 Riv has a power seat on the driver's side and I need more legroom!  I want to move the  seat back at least two inches and have not yet examined the situation critically.  I realize the floor pan under the seat is not flat/level and that the mounting brackets on the seat frame are probably not all equal and "square".  So I suspect that moving it will not be as easy as it might seem when I'm sitting in the living room sipping a brew.  Does anyone have any advice or "tricks" or other experience that would make this job a bit less painful?  Thanks for any feedback!!

IMG_0311 (2020_02_28 16_14_00 UTC) (2020_05_20 20_20_23 UTC).jpg

• Like 1

Moose, did you find a solution? 

Also, you are certainly free to post questions that have been answered in the past. Perhaps others have a fix besides than those recorded that may better suit you. Or maybe there are newer members that have not seen the older posts: they might have something insightful to add or a fix not yet described.

Just because somebody did it doesn't mean it can't be done better/easier/cheaper/quicker. Or for that matter, that it's the only or best way.

Beautiful car and great color combo, by the way. Steve

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

Moose, did you find a solution? 

Also, you are certainly free to post questions that have been answered in the past. Perhaps others have a fix besides than those recorded that may better suit you. Or maybe there are newer members that have not seen the older posts: they might have something insightful to add or a fix not yet described.

Just because somebody did it doesn't mean it can't be done better/easier/cheaper/quicker. Or for that matter, that it's the only or best way.

Beautiful car and great color combo, by the way. Steve

It doesn't get much better than Diplomat Blue with a white interior.  But then again, I'm biased after owning one for 24 years!!

• Like 4

Thank you all for the great feedback and the comments on my '64 too.  It took ten years of "onagain-offagain" work to get it on the road, but I'm sure everyone knows that story by heart!  I found a thread on "Adjusting seat position on first gen Riviera" started by SurfGreen64 on 5/14/2020 and it gives me the courage to get up off the couch and get started.  If I think I have a new twist on the subject when I'm done I'll make sure it gets on the forum.  Being at the ROA meet in Branson was like a kid looking in the window at a candy store.  Every car there made me want to get closer and admire it in detail.  The members and staff were easy to meet and eager to share their experiences.  I think one of the most charming parts of the meet was that we all had the ability to laugh at the goofy mistakes we made as we struggled up the learning curve to improve our Rivs.  Happy cruisin' and thanks for your support!!!!

Moose2/Mike

• Like 1

I gotta get busy - Taking my Riv to the "Back To The FIfties" car show at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.  Approx 12,000 hotrods/cruisers/full classics/ratrods on display.  Talk about a candy store!!!

2 hours ago, OldGerman said:

Just did it as well. 70 mm extra leg room.

Yes, that's pretty much what I did, but I only moved it back 50 mm.  Nothing wrong with 70. 😆

On my original factory carpet, you could see the front edge of the carpet when the seat was moved all the way back.  That's why I limited it to 50 mm. But now with my new replacement carpet, I could go back further.

• 3 weeks later...

Great minds think alike Frank!   I did almost exactly the same brackets you created, and the end result added 70mm of legroom.  I felt it was important to NOT drill new holes in the floorpan and you used the same strategy.  It was sort of a mouse-around to get the correct orientation for the brackets, but I cheated and used an old barnyard trick - I made the mounting holes somewhat larger than necessary and used class 8 washers below the bolt heads to compensate for the sloppy fit.  Can't tell to look at it now.  I agree with you that any additional legroom would be difficult to conceal with carpet at the front mounting brackets for the assembly.  Thanks everyone for the input!!!!!

Mike

One last comment.  I was careful to paint my homemade brackets the same color as my carpet to reduce any visual contrast that might be seen in the small areas where my brackets weren't hidden under the seat or under the carpeting.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:41 PM, OldGerman said:

Just did it as well. 70 mm extra leg room.

70EF3F48-FE01-48E1-B9B3-C292BF522FB0.jpeg

Hi Frank - any chance you could provide dimensions of the brackets you created to allow the seat to go back further?  Did you install identical brackets on the passenger side to add legroom there too?  If the passenger side brackets are different, let us know.  

Thanks, Alex

On 6/14/2022 at 8:39 AM, Moose2 said:

My '64 Riv has a power seat on the driver's side and I need more legroom!  I want to move the  seat back at least two inches and have not yet examined the situation critically.  I realize the floor pan under the seat is not flat/level and that the mounting brackets on the seat frame are probably not all equal and "square".  So I suspect that moving it will not be as easy as it might seem when I'm sitting in the living room sipping a brew.  Does anyone have any advice or "tricks" or other experience that would make this job a bit less painful?  Thanks for any feedback!!

IMG_0311 (2020_02_28 16_14_00 UTC) (2020_05_20 20_20_23 UTC).jpg

Hi Mike - lovely '64 you have there!  Will hopefully see it and meet you in person one day.  As an aside, I also owned a '68 Eldorado for 21 years so this tells me you are a man of exquisite taste.  Cheers, Alex.

I'd be pleased to meet you Alex, and hope we can connect.   You have my deepest sympathy with the '68 Eldorado (LOL).  Mine was a true barn find and was reluctant to remember how to function.  The little bits and pieces I replaced were not easy to find.  A surprising amount of the Eldorado parts were peculiar to JUST the Eldorado.   Stuff like gas tanks.............    But yeah,  what a graceful, beautiful beast it is!!

• Like 1

I always remember my electric drivers seat going further back but it does not now after restoration even though the seat motor works.   Is there only one bolt in position for the seat racks to the seat body and the seat rack to the floor?  Is there another position that the motor can be moved to to let the seat go back further?

To my knowledge the seat tracks only fasten to the bottom of the seat frame in one position.  Also, my experience when I was installing seats was that there was a choice of bolt hole sets on the outboard track, but no choice on the inboard track.  Besides you would still have to craft a way to move the two front stirrups rearward so the front feet of the track would engage the stirrups.   I hope you get additional feedback from other readers!!!!!  

34 minutes ago, Moose2 said:

my experience when I was installing seats was that there was a choice of bolt hole sets on the outboard track

Only 1 position to bolt to the floor.

Although the outboard track has a small hole 1" ahead of the rear hole that can be drilled-out. Then reverse the front brackets. This leaves drilling only 1 hole on the rear of the inboard track.

I gained only 1" more travel (25mm) but good enough for me with not having to fab brackets.

With the driver's seat now further back, I have a rear seat passenger sit on the right side. If I have two back there, I ask the passenger seated behind the driver to mind their feet. Not to kick and break plastic mouldings on the driver's seat.

Peculiar how the power seat in my friends '64 Skylark (A-Body) doesn't need to be at the end of it's travel. This shows how Bill Mitchell wanted a lean Riviera, not as big as a full size. By 1964, GM's new A-Body grew to the Riv's size! We all know how popular they became!

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Moose2 said:

To my knowledge the seat tracks only fasten to the bottom of the seat frame in one position.  Also, my experience when I was installing seats was that there was a choice of bolt hole sets on the outboard track, but no choice on the inboard track.  Besides you would still have to craft a way to move the two front stirrups rearward so the front feet of the track would engage the stirrups.   I hope you get additional feedback from other readers!!!!!  

I reversed the front u brackets on my 1963. There was a second set of bolt holes on the inboard and outboard side. The only thing I had to do was enlarge the inboard hole slightly to accommodate the bolt. For some reason it was a bit smaller than all of the other holes.

Bill

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:55 AM, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Frank - any chance you could provide dimensions of the brackets you created to allow the seat to go back further?  Did you install identical brackets on the passenger side to add legroom there too?  If the passenger side brackets are different, let us know.  

Thanks, Alex

Alex,  you need 7 bracket pieces. 4 in the front, 3 in the back. I have have welded the front brackets together with a separate piece of flat steel, to provide support to the seat slider in the front. I did not document this distance/width, but it is the distance of the two mounting holes in the original bracket mountet to the floor. Just take ameasurment from there.    See dimensions in attached sketch. 

Seat frame bracket_1.JPG

Seat frame bracket_2.JPG

IMG_9659.JPG

Edited by OldGerman (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...