Independent Parts Suppliers plus Attitude???

leomara

I just got attitude from a person representing a company which makes "systems" for antique and collector cars.  I called regarding an order I placed back in April.  At that time I was told it would take 8 to 12 weeks to complete and ship my order.  What I was not told was that I would be charged in full for the order the day I placed it.  From what I've read this is not legal, however the person I spoke to said this has always been the way they do business because they are making a "custom item".  After I voiced my objection to them holding my money for up to three months before they actually did anything I was told I could cancel my order and when I said no I was promptly hung up on.  Is this how people work in an about to go into recession economy? 

24 minutes ago, leomara said:

Is this how people work in an about to go into recession economy? 

This is how a business slowly goes out of business.   Poor reviews, no prior customers making referrals, and through word of mouth they get a bad reputation.      

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, leomara said:

Is this how people work in an about to go into recession economy? 

There are lots of great vendors out there.

Lots of companies to that provide fantastic customer service.

I get you're frustrated with one company/one person. But its unfair for you to extrapolate your isolated, anecdotal problem so broadly.

"Before you speak (post or comment) ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." - Bernard Meltzer 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, leomara said:

I just got attitude from a person representing a company... 

I can understand that custom items need advance payment,

because if a buyer disappears, that item may be useless for

others.  But they should have told you, Leo.

Everyone has an attitude--an outlook and a way of expressing

himself.  Employees need good attitudes, but you got a bad one.

My suggestion whenever poor service is encountered:

Write to the top man at the company, the President or C. E. O.

Letters are taken more seriously than other forms of communication.

Describe your situation courteously, and state what you want

to be done.  He may appalled that an employee would act that way,

and you should get an apology.

• Like 4

If it is a little one man, or mom and pop type operation it could be they don't have time to waste chatting on the phone and still get the orders out. It could also be that they don't have the money to produce one off products "on spec" knowing they might not have another customer for that particular item for 10 years, if ever. From the standpoint of one who has worked in small garages and body shops.

While I agree the response was rude and not smart business practice I think we should all take a breath and think about all sides.  In my lifetime in the retail hardware industry I have never seen things tougher on the suppliers and retailers.  Covid, help shortage, payroll inflation, material inflation and fuel prices so high I don't think you could even say it is just inflation.  Most are trying to do the best they can with less resources than they need.  No excuse for the bad manors and unprofessional response to the legitimate inquiry, but perhaps a reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Custom or one of a kind work is often paid for in advance. Yes,there is a risk in that, offset by the risk a vendor would take by performing work that may not be bought or paid for.

That does not excuse rude interaction with a customer.....bob

• Like 1

I am a contractor in the state of MD. By law we can only accept 30% as a down payment/up front money. I ordered a granite counter top through lowes for a kitchen. They too were bound by the state law. They took the 30% payment as upfront money on one ticket, then rang the balance (the entire thing had to be paid up front before it was ordered) on another ticket as the second draw!! Kind of a tricky way around the law but I needed the top so no need to argue. I dont see a problem with someone wanting a deposit on a custom item, but I think 100% may be a bit too much. If I am doing any custom work I cover at the very least the material cost as a down payment, figuring if the customer flakes out at that point I am just out of my labor. Never had any problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leomara said:

Wow!  Excoriated for being anecdotal.  No, I can't prove it but it happened and yes it is an illegal business procedure.

As moderator of this forum it my JOB to keep the posts civil and constructive.  Your post is neither.  Whining here is a waste of everyone's time.  

Yes, your rhetorical question "Is this how people work in an about to go into recession economy? " is very much anecdotal yet implies its widespread. It is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You can't charge back on your credit card after sixty days."

It is 180 days for most and longer on some cards for a charge back. 

Leo, there is no excuse for a vendor giving you an attitude. However, I do know that anytime you mention the word "custom" it changes everything. You are asking someone to fabricate a one of a kind product. Materials must be ordered, tooling must be made and there are labor costs. Who "eats" the cost if you suddenly decide that you don't want the part that you ordered.  You don't mention the part or cost but the vendor needs to be protected somehow. Perhaps the best thing would have been to have a contract drawn up that covered you both.

You could always make the part yourself. If you cannot make it yourself keep this in mind. It is not fair to ask anybody to build you a custom part without paying for it. What happens when they build the part and you decide you don't want it anymore? They do not want that part either. Yes they know how to make it. But if they wanted it they would stock it. The days of the customer is always right are over. Customers have abused this theory to an extreme. Especially in the antique automobile community. A lot of people try to say this is a hobby and we are all in it together. I have heard those lines used many times. The truth is this is business. It costs lots of money to operate in todays world. It is not getting cheaper. Be courteous and respectful to everybody you deal with. But never expect them to do something that you wouldn't do. 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 9:46 AM, 46 woodie said:

Leo, there is no excuse for a vendor giving you an attitude. 

If I may, as a long-time past newsletter editor, humbly offer a point in English:

"Attitude" can be good or bad.  It is merely one's outlook

or approach.  The word by itself does not imply rudeness.

But I agree wholly:  Employees must be courteous to all.

They need to have helpful attitudes.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1