Where Can I Find New Tires?

Flivver guy

I am searching for a set of 6.50-20 tires and tubes for my 28 Packard. I checked with Coker and Lucas and they are out of stock for at least 6 months. Are there any other options? Or am I going top be stuck on the sidelines all driving season.

Thanks,

Gary

7.00-20 was a common truck size tire for a lot of years, 1930s into the 1970s. I haven't looked, but I would imagine that modern replacements should still be available for those trucks. The problem might be that modern truck replacements might only be radials these days. Personally, and as a used to was an engineer, I don't like using radials on cars not designed for them. However, in a pinch, anything that works? The other minor issue is that such truck tires are likely only available in black-walls (which personally I prefer).

Innertubes might also be an issue. A lot of those trucks used offset valve stems. However, I just received two innertubes from Blockley Tires in England. I have not yet installed them in tires for my Paige, yet. So I can't give a full report, yet. However, my first impression of the tubes and their quality is that they look fantastic! Valve stems are a bit short, but I used stem extensions a few years ago in a similar situation, and that worked just fine, so plan to do that again (extensions are available at most auto part stores). Blockley 20 inch tubes are available in either center or offset stems.

I was a bit concerned about dealing with the "across the pond" issues, however, it was easier than I expected. Blockley was very helpful and I was SHOCKED to receive my new tubes in less than a week!

They offer tires also (their main business). I would expect the shipping for tires to take a bit longer. I hear their tire quality is excellent, but have not personally seen them yet. Their prices seem a bit high? However, their quality (at least on the tubes) appears to be well worth it. I don't know what it would cost to ship tires, but was surprised that the cost to ship the tubes was as low as it was. I was very pleased by Blockley in my dealing with them.

11 hours ago, Flivver guy said:

I am searching for a set of 6.50-20 tires and tubes for my 28 Packard. I checked with Coker and Lucas and they are out of stock for at least 6 months. Are there any other options? Or am I going top be stuck on the sidelines all driving season.

Thanks,

Gary

Join the club on getting tires. Lots of us are waiting for tires.

We used to pick up tires at Universal to save on shipping but now, while you can still order from Universal, all tires are shipped direct from Coker. We've been dealing with Universal for almost 40 years.  Many do not know that their main business was tractor trailer and equipment tires.  The antique tires were just a sideline. Not sure if they actually ever made tires themselves.  I know they did recapping of truck tires, as did my Dad.  

Google is your friend.  Universal did in fact manufacture vintage and classic tires.  In 1982 they bought the molds from Lester Tire to expand their selection.  Good old company. So now, whether your tires say Lester, Universal, or Coker they are made by Coker.

• Thanks 1

Talked  today about 700 x 19 and still out of stock from when I first called last year. I am told that they do not plan to build my size until they have enough orders. As of now they only have orders for 6 sets so they can not really give a date seeing they do not know when they get orders. So the tire shortage is not a covid issue as it is not carrying an inventory of tires. Must be another profit margin thing like not being able to pick up at their warehouse. I now feel like I am being gouged by the large increase in tire pricing. 

I was able to get new made in US  Goodyear 8 ply tires for my trailer yesterday. Like everything else at a much higher price. Then tomorrow I will order a new set of 700 x 19 to get my name on a list seeing this is the only way to speed things up for them to build. 

So if you need tires order what you need to get the order list longer for them to build.

Sorry for not being in a better mood after finding this out

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Joe...........white walls, black walls, and double white are all different...........and I am waiting on them also, fortunately I am in good shape. 

If they have the mold it seems odd that they cannot make a small batch. I watched a video at one time from Coker and it was surprisingly still somewhat labor intensive the way they make tires. I dont think its something that they need to have 500 sets to make firing up the oven worthwhile so to speak. It seems if they are in the business of making specialty tires a small batch would not be that big of a deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Want to know what is really frightening? 700-19 tire size is Duesenberg, Cadillac 16, Pierce Arrow, and countless others…………..Coker and a few others all did well for decades making small run specialty tires……one person buys them all up, bangs the price through the roof, and now is leaving the stuff they can’t get rich on hung out to dry. The good news….with what they are now charging, Asian junk companies will probably get into the game. Won’t help out us off sized low volume guys……..but competition is the only hope for pre war stuff……..and it’s unlikely to occur.

• Like 2

Blockley have a 6.50/7.00-20 and also a 6.50-19 that is 33 inches tall, so nearly a 7.00. Perhaps not exactly what you were looking for, but high quality, and definitely better than bare rims with touring season upon us.

Typical money grab……..here is the sale announcement……says they will grow the business and still service the early car market like they have for 60 years………and we’ll call out BULLSHIT! 

53A7E847-265B-4D11-A88D-0082DA94301A.png

• Like 4

Shal I comment how my last four orders have been screwed up……where people on the phone cant even take an order correctly? I probably have more in inventory than they do for the big cars of the 30’s. I sent a photo of what I needed for a tube…….and they sent me 20 incorrect ones……guess it was too much work to actually look at the photo I sent and match it to what I ordered and what they were shipping out, they sent the same incorrect case of tubes twice in five months………… maybe we can hope for mediocrity, because there isn’t anything better coming out of there right now. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Shal I comment how my last four orders have been screwed up……where people on the phone cant even take an order correctly? I probably have more in inventory than they do for the big cars of the 30’s. I sent a photo of what I needed for a tube…….and they sent me 20 incorrect ones……guess it was too much work to actually look at the photo I sent and match it to what I ordered and what they were shipping out, they sent the same incorrect case of tubes twice in five months………… maybe we can hope for mediocrity, because there isn’t anything better coming out of there right now. 

Yep, that sucks 

8 hours ago, 28anut said:

Joe in Canada, What brand of tires, and what vendor did you get on a list with?

I ordered them with a company up here so I do not pay PA sales tax and then again up here. I used to pick them up in Hershey like the last time 3 years ago but that boat has sailed. Ordered Lester 700 x 19 and it does not matter who you order with as they all come from the same source who has them made.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Broken record, but the problem is when the corporate world takes over a decent business and is more concerned about the bottom line than customers (not that I have a problem with making money or the bottom line), and when said company controls the lions share of the market.....

I still run original wheels on my 70's car which are 15". I have read that a lot of guys change over to 20" because they are easier to get. So far I have had ok luck with 15's but Im sure they are getting limited as well. I dont like the look of the bigger wheels.