Automakers Want To Become Order Takers !!!

f.f.jones

On 1/25/2022 at 8:02 PM, f.f.jones said:

Automakers Want To Become Order Takers !!!

They’re trying to “train” Americans to like this new way:  to order the exact specs and accessories you want.

My comment:

An absolutely revolutionary way to purchase a car! (...if you were born yesterday )  ...read on

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/automakers-become-order-takers/

What is the problem with buying directly from the manufacturer - exactly ?

Auto Sales Agencies of days gone by 

used to offer a value added service.

Not so much anymore.

Jim

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

From ancient Greece to every succeeding generation forward.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates

This quote is regarding basic manners.

And yes, each generation seems to lose a little bit of manners compared to the previous one.

Can you honestly say that kids today have better manners than kids from the 50's?

I picked that quote because it was the most ancient and Socrates is a familiar name to many. I could have found a similar quote from any  intervening saeculum. It may be the echo of the longest duration in human history.

"Kids", young people are polite, most are trying to seek approval and act as they imagine adults. They are too young to understand old people, particularly old men are myopic and only see what there are looking for. I think the psychological term for old men's attitude is called delusion combined with projection.

Anyone who is referring to a 50 year old as a kid has a whole set of problems that are all their own. And I get a chuckle out of that frequently.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

2 hours ago, zepher said:

This quote is regarding basic manners.

And yes, each generation seems to lose a little bit of manners compared to the previous one.

Can you honestly say that kids today have better manners than kids from the 50's?

I'm not sure if its etiquette, or changing times, I haven't heard younger ones address adults by 'Mr.', 'Mrs.' or 'Miss' for years.    And even older ones who worked under someone younger still addressed that person as 'Mr.' or 'Mrs.  When I started attending college and university, it was around the same time students were allowed to address their instructors by their first names.

Craig 

Back to ordering what I want.

I put in an order for a new motor coach last June.

They said I should have it by October, that got pushed to November.

Then it was going to be February.

I got a call last week that it will be late May.

If that happens it will be right at a year.

They keep wanting to sell me the one that they have on the lot but I don't like the colors.

Its a major purchase and I do know what I want.

Its a Super-C, rated to tow a pretty hefty load, which I need.

My pusher that I have now tows just OK but is a bit weak on the hills.

So, May it is, waiting impatiently.

Like this but mine will have some blue on it.

2021_Renegade_Verona.jpg

• Like 2

Waiting a year for an order to be fulfilled plus the fact that the date keeps moving would have to be frustrating but these are strange times we're experiencing. Hang on though and before you know it you'll be traveling in that beautiful machine. I can only look at the photo and dream of owning a rig like that! 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I'm not sure if its etiquette, or changing times, I haven't heard younger ones address adults by 'Mr.', 'Mrs.' or 'Miss' for years.    And even older ones who worked under someone younger still addressed that person as 'Mr.' or 'Mrs.  When I started attending college and university, it was around the same time students were allowed to address their instructors by their first names.

I'm in my thirties and we still had that in school, but there were a few teachers that didn't mind using their first name (and to be fair some of my teachers were only a few years older than us) 

University, tutors were generally first name but all of the academics we had very much would let you know if you used the wrong title 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Pfeil said:

I just would like to order a truck with manual windows, dual circuit brakes with disc ft and drum rear-NO ABS, the color I want, a five-speed stick shift and a A.M. - F.M. stereo with a C/D player (nobody sells a C/D player anymore). No blue tooth or phone, Cruise is OK. I don't need visors with a lighted mirror, heated seats, full carpeting.....you know a real truck! Oh, I forgot an 8 Ft. bed that the bed rail is low enough to swing cargo over so you can actually work out of the truck instead of having to climb in and out of the back of it wearing yourself out.

IMO, a truck that has a step that fold out of the back of the bed is an admission from the designers that the bed/bedrails-truck are too high and that they would rather design a truck for 'want a be" truck pretend drivers. 

As I found out yesterday, you can order a $100K F-350 King Ranch with RUBBER FLOOR MATS!

Craig

• Haha 1

My dealership in the Chicago area was not unusual.  We all had custom sold orders from customers that we would put on a Preference Sheet and send or even hand carry to the Zone Office.  I remember at times during the 70's having 100 sold orders that were waiting to be picked up for production.  I handled most of the car ordering for my dealership and  when things started to change to computer only ordering the fun and personal touch went away.  The business, to me, became less enjoyable.  No District Managers to see every week and beg for more cars or to talk about the state of the business in our area.  Before I closed down the ordering became simple with few choices and as a car guy I just found no soul in what we were doing.

• Like 3

Steve, As a long time Chicago resident and a car guy that always liked the Oldsmobile I wonder if I was ever in your dealership? As a young guy getting out of the army in 68 the 442 was high on my list to buy. I was probably in every Olds dealership on the west & north side plus those suburbs. Funny how paths cross or came very close to crossing in the car world. 
dave s 

My grandfather was the top Chevy salesman west of the Mississippi for years he used to do custom orders all the time.

here is the bottom line new car dealerships are outdated. Really you could have one sample or two of each model for test drives and order the rest. Less staff, less overhead, no need for ‘flooring’ none of that. 

I predict many dealers will have a service dept, used car area and samples of the new cars within the next decade. 

Why not? You can buy just about anything on line without a salesman or dealer or any human intervention. I've bought a few collector cars off ebay and other sites that turned out OK. I think buying new should be safe. They have to make it work though. The last new car I leased is my 2020. I had to replace my expired lease during the (first) peak of the Covid Panic and tried to do it on the Chevy web site.  They had a site you go on an pick a model and spec out the options & color and post a dealer or pick up to 5 dealers from a list in a radius and you are supposed to get competitive quotes and availability back within 48hrs.  I got an acknowledgement that my request was received by Chevy but never got a single quote or contact from a dealer.

I've ordered cars in the past but I prefer to go to the dealer and see the exact car I'm buying and drive it home. Usually the factory defects & transport damage is repaired before it hits the lot or I don't buy that car. I get to look at fleet quality instead of just the specially prepared display unit.  I guess I've been lucky but I usually find what I want on the lot or the salesman finds it for me in the "zone." The 2020 took 2 days to get the color I wanted. 

I've heard all the stories about sales tactics but I bet if you walked into the showroom and agree to pay MSRP plus delivery & prep fees and whatever else they tact on you wouldn't have a hassle.  Then wait months for delivery and accept whatever build quality they happen to provide. That process seems to work for Tesla and their buyers just to avoid the dreaded "salesman". Tesla had 8 price adjustments in 2021, "window stickers" exists in software. This is the model that other manufacturers are going for where consumers buy site unseen at daily market price and quality is of minimal consequence. I think it depends on what you are buying. A popular model with reasonable standard features and tiered option packages would be easy for a dealer to stock and turn over inventory.  On the other hand,  some models are less popular or are available in multiple configurations & options that make inventory difficult. 

This is progress I guess. I can accept it as an alternative method to increase sales to a niche buyer and I might even try it myself again. I  know I'll be scolded for saying I hate to see another old way of doing business end.

This is the new way for the manufacturers. Just drive by any new car store and see the reduced amount of inventory. I know, the chip shortage, etc.

But now they are seeing increased profit, less overhead and reduced time wasting dealing with tire kickers. The new stores such as Genesis, Tesla, even Fiat in Canada are wanting you to shop and order online. Reduces costs greatly.