Rare Classic car photos taken June 2019 Hollywood show

Wayne R

Sorry  i dont have any information on these,---other than  fabulous  examples i seen there,

as i was only able to spend  a very rushed  1 hour that day  there about 3.00pm, as i had to 

catch  plane back to Australia that same early evening. One of the stars a original rusty Maserati.

You decide makes , models,  years.---thought it may interest members.

132.JPG

134.JPG

136.JPG

074.JPG

076.JPG

127.JPG

131.JPG

098.JPG

092.JPG

102.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you focused on the "ordinary ones"! The Bugatti Atlantique (i think that is what it is) is such a stunning car, I know only a handful were built and exist, have always been surprised no one has done a quality reproduction. Experts, I don't know this particular car, is it a recently assembled one, I understood some guild was doing one?

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Good to see you focused on the "ordinary ones"! The Bugatti Atlantique (i think that is what it is) is such a stunning car, I know only a handful were built and exist, have always been surprised no one has done a quality reproduction. Experts, I don't know this particular car, is it a recently assembled one, I understood some guild was doing one?

Thats the first type 57 chassis with new coachwork on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm partial to American cars so I'd go for the Chrysler.  I don't dislike foreign cars but I don't know much about them.  The Bentley is interesting.  I assume it's original (or an accurate reproduction) but the top looks chopped like a hot rod.  The Bugatti deck handle is at the top of the lid.  Is it a rumble seat or does the trunk open that way?

• Like 1

I think what you are seeing is not a handle, but the central hinge for the trunk. These cars had a round trunk lid with only one center hinge in line with the "raised rib" extending length of car. Initially the raised ribs for these cars were a way to rivet panels together because they were made of material not suitable for welding (can't remember what material). eventually they went with steel but kept the raised ribs as a style decision.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Maserati A6 Frua(?) coupe? I don't think I've ever seen that one.

I was on a tour with it......can't remember where, it was either in England, or at Amelia Island. Interest car and an honest unmolested original unlike so many others. Owner was a nice guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I think what you are seeing is not a handle, but the central hinge for the trunk. These cars had a round trunk lid with only one center hinge in line with the "raised rib" extending length of car. Initially the raised ribs for these cars were a way to rivet panels together because they were made of material not suitable for welding (can't remember what material). eventually they went with steel but kept the raised ribs as a style decision.

No, I'm talking about the blue and red cabriolet, not the green coupe.  Like I said, I don't know much about them.  But the deck lid on that car sure looks more-or-less rectangular (with rounded corners and a circular spare tire depression) with a T-handle at the top.

nzcarnerd,---Thank you for posting that wonderful photo of the Bentley,

sorry i should have spent more time and ,perhaps  photo of any  information placard

there.--Also alsancle  for that information---really interesting.

29 minutes ago, Grimy said:

I'm glad to hear that!

But perhaps the original owner was a burlesque queen....

Some history of the car, and more pictures, here:

https://www.frankscarsinthehood.com/1935-packard-dual-cowl-phaeton-dietrich/

I don't think they offered the Adonis hood ornament in 1935, either, but I guess Earl likes it! :)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

There’s quite a few new coachwork cars in that with the photos.

Including I believe the Bugatti.

It's Rodeo Drive, where old things being rebodied is a way of life. 

(Better than the "Rest in Pierce" comment, you gotta admit.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Wayne R said:

nzcarnerd,---Thank you for posting that wonderful photo of the Bentley,

sorry i should have spent more time and ,perhaps  photo of any  information placard

there.--Also alsancle  for that information---really interesting.

It was just coincidence that it appeared on a facebook page the same day.

40 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Again, Im the odd man out. I love that blue Packard colour and all. I could just sit and look at that car for hours.

There are 5 real ones of those from 1935.  Unless it is a Super 8 and not a 12,  then there are a few more.    You hang around here a little longer Kerry and we will bring you around on the colors.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Again, Im the odd man out. I love that blue Packard colour and all. I could just sit and look at that car for hours.

I think colors on an open car should be a little flamboyant.  That blue is no worse than the pastel green on the Bugatti coupe.  Although the Packard could use a some contrast, maybe pinstripe, two-tone, etc.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are 5 real ones of those from 1935.  Unless it is a Super 8 and not a 12,  then there are a few more.    You hang around here a little longer Kerry and we will bring you around on the colors.  

It's a Super 8.  The owner has had it since 1963, and if I recall correctly, he had Ray Dietrich inspect the car himself and pronounce it "real."  (Apparently there was some sort of distinction between 1935 cars that Dietrich actually did and cars that just had the tag put on it, and Dietrich said by the markings that it was one of them that he/they actually did.  Written up in a SoCal newsletter a few years ago.)

I think the article may have been here, although the link to the article itself is now down.  I'll see if I can get it. 

https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/dietrich-exhibit-the-real-deal-june-1-sept-15-2013/

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

There is no such thing as a "Dietrich" custom after 1934.   Packard used the badging on their top of the line bodies and the tags say Dietrich but there is nothing extra special about them.    There are secret things that distinguish a real sport phaeton from a phaeton that had a deck added.    I think there are more phaetons with decks than real sport phaetons these days.  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:13 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Built in Canada, it was featured on a TV show for years. They were up front about it being a "Clone" or  "Tribute" build. Jay Leno put more miles on it than anyone. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

On 1/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, CHuDWah said:

I'm partial to American cars so I'd go for the Chrysler.  I don't dislike foreign cars but I don't know much about them.  The Bentley is interesting.  I assume it's original (or an accurate reproduction) but the top looks chopped like a hot rod.  The Bugatti deck handle is at the top of the lid.  Is it a rumble seat or does the trunk open that way?

I would think it is a trunk, not a rumble seat. 

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I would think it is a trunk, not a rumble seat. 

Yeah, I would tend to agree.  The handle is at the top of the lid so presumably the hinge(s) is/are at the bottom.  That's unusual for a trunk but not unheard of.

5 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

Yeah, I would tend to agree.  The handle is at the top of the lid so presumably the hinge(s) is/are at the bottom.  That's unusual for a trunk but not unheard of.

If the hinges were on top, the weight of the spare tire would crush Wile E. Coyote while looking for the Acme picnic basket. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

If the hinges were on top, the weight of the spare tire would crush Whilie Cyoyte while looking for the Acme picnic basket. 

For that matter, given the weight of the spare, ol' Wile E. would need the ACME Heavy-Duty Winch to open the trunk even if it is bottom-hinged.  Maybe the "handle" is actually a cleat for attachment of the cable.  🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

There is no such thing as a "Dietrich" custom after 1934.   Packard used the badging on their top of the line bodies and the tags say Dietrich but there is nothing extra special about them.    There are secret things that distinguish a real sport phaeton from a phaeton that had a deck added.    I think there are more phaetons with decks than real sport phaetons these days.  

AJ, here's the article: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20160505233218/https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ray-Dietrich-PFinal-2-2.pdf

From the article:

Automobile Driving Museum curator Rubenstein knew Ray Dietrich personally, and on one occasion, when Dietrich and his wife were having dinner at the Rubensteins’ home, Earl asked Ray if he would verify his (Rubenstein’s) 1935 Packard DC Phaeton as a true Dietrich. Following dinner, looking at the car, Dietrich asked Earl to remove the car’s passenger seat, revealing two different tags attached to the seat rail. The first, an aluminum plate, bore the words “Body Number” and “Dietrich, Inc.,” and the numbers “841-9” – indicating it was a Sport Phaeton body #841, and that it was the ninth one built.

Rubenstein says, “Now, the clincher was the brass plate next to the aluminum one: The upper left corner of the brass plate reads “811.” That number represents all Phaeton bodies for Standard 8, Super 8, and V-12 models, whether Standard or Dual-Cowl – all of which fit all chassis. (The difference in length of the various models is due to hood- and fender-lengths only.) Convertible sedan bodies also fit all chassis.

As their conversation continued, Dietrich told Earl to look at the back side of the brass plate, which revealed the number “M631.” Ray, smiling broadly, looked at Earl and said, “Earl… That is my personal accounting number, which indicates that I, personally, supervised the construction of your car – at Murray, in 1935. So, you can rest assured you have an authentic Dietrich Packard, made at Murray.” Earl asked Ray if he would write him a personal letter, formally certifying his car’s authenticity, and Ray was kind enough to comply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Ray Dietrich biography on coachbuild.com lays it out the way I understand it.   Ray left Murray in 1930 and was working for Chrysler in 1934-35.   Maybe this is wrong?   It has always been the conventional wisdom.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/d/dietrich/dietrich.htm

AJ;

That's the conventional wisdom.  However, although Dietrich was on the payroll, after all, he was hired by Walter Chrysler himself, he may have been doing a little 'moonlighting' with Chrysler's tacit approval.  If the company wasn't completely committed to Briggs for all their bodies, Murray may still have been a body supplier for some models.   Letting Dietrich have a creative outlet with Murray-built, styles for Packard under the Dietrich coachbuilder tag just a personal sop between two men who had been business associates for a decade.  Plausible?

Steve

18 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ;

That's the conventional wisdom.  However, although Dietrich was on the payroll, after all, he was hired by Walter Chrysler himself, he may have been doing a little 'moonlighting' with Chrysler's tacit approval.  If the company wasn't completely committed to Briggs for all their bodies, Murray may still have been a body supplier for some models.   Letting Dietrich have a creative outlet with Murray-built, styles for Packard under the Dietrich coachbuilder tag just a personal sop between two men who had been business associates for a decade.  Plausible?

Steve

Steve,  I would believe it if Ray Dietrich was quoted as saying it, not a third person.